Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
sally_in_wales

Review: Hazel Mclean sausages

Got our assortment pack of sausages from Hazel Mclean/Brownbear today and thought I'd start a thread for tasting notes as we work through them. Smile

This is the pack of 12 assorted flavours, 4 sausages of each, which is a perfect size for the two of us and makes it very easy to plan meals around them. Despite a slight address hiccup (which we are blaming on the cat, no fault at all from the senders end), resulting in them spending an extra night in transit, they reached me in good shape, though the lovely savoury scent of garlic did have the security chap at work sniffing hungrily round the box when I rescued it from him Laughing

So, tonight we had the Cambridge sausages for tea, a really firm very meaty sausage with a definite nutmeg edge. Much denser to the bite than even the top end shop sausages, these were perfect with a nice fried freerange egg and some rather decadent fried bread. They would have been equally good with something a bit more refined, new potatoes and some nice steamed greens perhaps, but after a hard day wrangling visitors we both voted for a fry up and these sausages fitted the bill perfectly.

Will report back on the others as we get to them, these ones were yummy Smile
lettucewoman

only TWO sausages each??????? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

.........we usually have at least three and sometimes four Embarassed
sally_in_wales

lettucewoman wrote:
only TWO sausages each??????? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

.........we usually have at least three and sometimes four Embarassed

normally so would we, but these were so solidly meaty, two was exactly the right amount. Hoping this continues through the rest of the varieties, as it will represent a saving compared to buying sausages 6 at a time
Effie

As someone who was kindly fed these last night for tea, I heartily agree on how good they are. I certainly had more than 2!
sally_in_wales

tonight, we are trying the Basque sausages, this time as part of a pasta dish, we've made a good basic tomato and garlic sauce, which will be poured over the pasta, and the cooked sausages sliced on top a bit like meatballs. Should be ready soon, and will report back on how it all tastes Smile
sally_in_wales

ooh, those were nice. We reckon that particular recipe woud be good in a cassoulet, lots of nice comforting depth of flavour, coped well with the richness of tomates. yum Very Happy
Brownbear

We're both very pleased you like them. Hope you enjoy the others too.
Chez

I had more than two, too. The trick is to 'cook enough for the children' and then decide that the children need feeding before they are quite ready. They were ambrosial. If that is a word that can be applied to sausage.
Nick

Rice puddingy?
Chez

Yes Nick. They are Rice Pudding Sausages.
Nick

You make one comment about someone being a frootloop....
Chez

You've spelled fruitloop wrong Laughing
Barefoot Andrew

I shall be placing an order tomorrow. Can't quite be bothered with account set up at this precise moment in time...
A.
jema

An order from here also shortly.
Barefoot Andrew

I'll remind you if you remind me Wink
A.
Chez

It is most certainly worth it - they are really, really nice.
Effie

Chez wrote:
I had more than two, too. The trick is to 'cook enough for the children' and then decide that the children need feeding before they are quite ready. They were ambrosial. If that is a word that can be applied to sausage.

Yes, they totally were ambrosial sausages. Brownbear should infact have special labels for Ds'ers stating as much.

Edit : for that packs of sausages for DS'ers. Not the actual Ds'ers themselves.
Barefoot Andrew

Well, I've now tried various goodies from my Hazel McLean selection pack, and I can only echo sentiments expressed here and in other threads - superb product.

If I've got one teeny 'complaint' the pork & leek were a smidging too salty for me, but that is teeny. My favourites thus far - the Parisienne (I think). Excellent sausage - with a wonderful spicy hit from the green peppercorns.

Tonight I tried the beer and onion beefburgers - and they were wonderful. A distinct flavour too. BB/MB - what beer did you use?

All in all, highly recommended.
A.

PS The main problem is that cuz they're Hazel McLean sausages we're deprived of gags about Brownbear's sausage. Evil or Very Mad So Rob's rump it is then Laughing
earthyvirgo

Must place order. Have added to tomorrow's 'to do' list

EV
gunners71uk

i like a good banger have you a link pls
Jamanda

gunners71uk wrote:
i like a good banger have you a link pls

PM Brownbear
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home