Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Jamanda

Rhododenron honey

Interesting article.

Basically saying that honey from bees that have been foraging on Rhododendron can be poisonous.
Ty Gwyn

The leaves and bark are poisonous if eaten in enough quantity,
Did`nt know about the flowers.
Mistress Rose

This has been going the rounds for several decades at least. The nectar or pollen is said to be poisonous to the bees too, and some bumble bees have been affected by it. If you are worried, the best thing to do is leave the honey for a while before bottling and using.
Lorrainelovesplants

Its the same story about ragwort honey, BUT, you would need to eat a helluva lot of ragwort or rhododensron honey to poison yourself, and who is to say that the bees solely collect nectar from these plants anyway?
Not worried.
Falstaff

There is loads of stuff out there, which is notionally poisonous, without ever killing anyone.
Tavascarow

I've yet to see a honey bee working the Rhodies here.
I'm sure if there was nothing else in flower they would take it, but it's not near the top of their preference list.
Mistress Rose

I think bumble bees go for it more than honey bees Tavascarow. They are the ones that sometimes get poisoned.
Falstaff

Why would a plant have flowers which poison it's pollinators ? Confused

Evolutionary suicide surely ?
sean

They're not native to this country. Presumably whatever pollinates them in the Himalayas isn't affected by the toxin.
robkb

They're not native to this country. Presumably whatever pollinates them in the Himalayas isn't affected by the toxin.

Yeti's?
sean

Yeti's?

That'll be it. Yetis fluttering from flower to flower drinking deeply of the rhododendron nectar and accidentally transferring pollen on their furry faces.
Cathryn

I want to get a photo of that. Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home