Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Hairyloon

Ridgeblade

Quote:
Designed to use the existing roof area of a pitched roof to collect and focus the prevailing wind using the Aeolian wind focus effect. This is where the wind is forced to travel over the roof surface and forms a pinch point at the roof ridge, accelerating the airflow though the turbine. As a result, measured wind speed around the ridge can be just over three times the actual wind speed. Placing the turbine in this high flow area means that up to nine times the energy is available to it compared to a HAWT (Horizontal Axis Wind Turbine) system.

http://www.ridgeblade.com/
dpack

it seems quite site specific but if it puts out as much as they claim and is low maintenance etc it would be an option in some places . it seems a bit low power for fully off grid supply but along with pvs it might make a full adequate power station on the roof a bit easier to retrofit .

im a bit thoughtful about the low noise claim or mention of rumble or how much metal you need to hold the thing on the roof .i recon i would want to meet one running on a similar structure before getting one fitted. For instance i can make buildings shake with nowt but a hollow tree with a zebra skin strapped on one end , resonance can be a rather disturbing effect and iirc has been a major problem with other turbines on roofs .
Hairyloon

resonance can be a rather disturbing effect and iirc has been a major problem with other turbines on roofs .

True enough, but once you've found the resonant frequency of the building, it is not rocket surgery to avoid running at that speed.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home