Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
VM

room heater

Any suggestions about cheapest way of heating individual attic room when in use?

Partner and I are both at home for much of the day. Downstairs we have a woodburner in dining room which keeps middle bit of the house pretty warm as we are pottering about doing things. However, partner's study is upstairs in attic and at this time of year is freezing - so we end up putting on central heating so he can work there.

In long run situation will be improved by more insulation in roof space - but just want to know if there is any kind of plug-in individual heater which could keep him warm in that one room and would be cheaper than heating whole house.

It's a two-bedroom terrace plus the attic room, so 'whole house' means radiators in 6 rooms altogether. Obviously some, like spare room, are on minimal setting most of the time.

Also partly because trying to minimise how much gas we use - heating is gas-fired.

thanks
Penny Outskirts

We use one of those oil filled jobbies for small space heating when required.

A bit like this only not as expensive

Ours is only 1kw I think though, but perfectly adequate.
vegplot

Electrical heaters, although being the most expensive form of heater, are probably the most convenient.

You can cut costs by using the right type of heater in the right location. A small oil convection heater under a desk which has had its sides panelled can be quite effective. This assumes one is sitting at the desk for most of the time. A radiant heater pointed in the general direction of the person sitting at the desk can be effective as well.

However, if you wanted to heat the working space as a whole then your ultimate solution, as you've already acknowledged is good insulation.

Consider rugs and fingerless gloves as well Smile
judith

That's what I use in my office - keeps me very toasty.
ETA: I meant the oil-filled radiator thingy, although quilts and gloves are sometimes deployed instead.
2steps

As I'm home on my own most of the day I use a little electric heater in just that room, rather than heat the whole house all day. though if I'm still I often just put on more clothes or grab a blanket
welsh lamb

Oil filled rad used here too - we have 2 -one has a timer on it -which if I remember to set - is ideal Laughing
RichardW

Get the wood fire roaring away & open all the doors. The heat will end up upstairs in the loft space.

Also look at infra red heaters that heat you not the air.

Richard
dpack

silk ,fur ,feathers all work well
im getting a bit unconditioned to cold but wrap up well is ace
lowri

A few years ago I bought 2 convector heaters from Argos, max 3 k I think, with a dial from * - which is anti frost - to 6. I am not sure if this is Time or Temperature, but I have it on 2 and it heats a medium room in a very short time, and doesn't blast you with air like a fan heater or blind you like a halogen one! As the Aga in the living room doesn't throw out massive amounts of heat (its not designed to) I have used one of these in the last cold spell. Its not a big room but has 2 doors; with the doors shut I find I have to turn the heater OFF quite often as the room gets TOO HOT! I would recommend one of these for keeping a room warm for short periods - mine are made by DeLonghi and at the last count still cost only about £20!
lettucewoman

we have a halogen heater which costs about 2 - 10p an hour to run depending on whether you have it on 400 or 1200w...you can buy them online form latifs for about 12 quid delivered!
wellington womble

A dog under the desk is quite effective (although one of those wheat bags on your feel doesn't need walking, or make smells)
VM

Thanks for suggestions re: halogen and convector heaters - think it's something like this we need - will investigate. Insulation in roof is on list of things to do, but in meantime poor partner is thin and easily gets cold.

Think dog under desk works best with smallish dogs. Our two lurchers are a bit tall and also rather bony and not very comfortable as foot warmers. Collie/greyhound cross has a reasonable undercoat and doesn't mind a bit of a draught - the other is mostly saluki and a bit of whippet with a thin coat and spends all her time trying to keep warm - she would not be impressed by being invited up to cold attic to warm partner's feet. She howls on very cold mornings when all the heat has gone out of dining room overnight - so I have to get up and put heating on just for her - not really very environmentally-friendly at all - and yes, I know I could just buy her a coat but I keep not getting around to it. Confused
dpack

wellington womble wrote:
A dog under the desk is quite effective (although one of those wheat bags on your feel doesn't need walking, or make smells)

is the web cam on ? Shocked
boisdevie1

When it's cold would it not be possible to move the study into the warm bit of the house?
lowri

What about cat on lap?
VM

Admire lateral thinking - but no to moving study - we downsized in order not to have to work full-time, so no mortgage which is excellent, but small crowded house and partner's computer definitely has to live upstairs!

Re: cat - we have no cat - refer you to mention of two lurchers above - cat would not last long enough to be a lap-warmer. Lurchers would be very happy to be allowed to sit on partner's lap, or mine - they sometimes try, but as I said, they are large and rather bony so not very satisfactory. Smile
sellickbhoy

I work from home and my office is the coldest room in the house - mainly because the window is on the side of the house that gets no sunlight and the attic opening in in there too.

fortunately i have a central heating radiator in there, so i can warm it up quickly - but it means having the whole empty house heated when it's not needed

I've bought an oil filled electrical heater - if you can get one with a timer in 15 min increments then even better, if not, get a timer plug so that you can automatically have it switching on and off - 15 min on, 15 min off - you'll find you don't notice that is it switching on and off and that the room stays at an acceptable temprature and halves your usage bills

wear lots of layers

I have a pair of base layer thermals (use them for snowboarding) put them on and a t shirt and then get dressed

wear fingerless gloves and a hat (hat is the winner btw!) and also wear a dressing gown

2 pairs of socks - thin cotton ones near the skin and thick wollen ones to keep the cold out

slippers too!

he should also eat regularly - keeps the metabolism ticking over and generates internal heat.

or tell him to stop being a big cry baby wimp!! Smile

(having a dog doesn't help - just as soon as you've got warm, he wants to go outside!!)
mihto

sellickbhoy wrote:
I work from home and my office is the coldest room in the house - mainly because the window is on the side of the house that gets no sunlight and the attic opening in in there too.

fortunately i have a central heating radiator in there, so i can warm it up quickly - but it means having the whole empty house heated when it's not needed

I've bought an oil filled electrical heater - if you can get one with a timer in 15 min increments then even better, if not, get a timer plug so that you can automatically have it switching on and off - 15 min on, 15 min off - you'll find you don't notice that is it switching on and off and that the room stays at an acceptable temprature and halves your usage bills

wear lots of layers

I have a pair of base layer thermals (use them for snowboarding) put them on and a t shirt and then get dressed

wear fingerless gloves and a hat (hat is the winner btw!) and also wear a dressing gown

2 pairs of socks - thin cotton ones near the skin and thick wollen ones to keep the cold out

slippers too!

he should also eat regularly - keeps the metabolism ticking over and generates internal heat.

or tell him to stop being a big cry baby wimp!! Smile

(having a dog doesn't help - just as soon as you've got warm, he wants to go outside!!)

Very good advice, all of this. A separate heater for the room plus some proper clothing will take care of most problems. A cat is mostly in the way.

For cold feet a hot water bottle is ace.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home