Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
jettejette

Root and Stem

On one of my rare trips to the supermarket, I picked up the weekend paper that Waitrose kindly provide, along with my delicious free coffee. I usually get it for the sudoku and a quick glance through before using it to light the fire.
This time there was an article about the 'new' root and stem movement, where the object is to use every part of a foodstuff .
For years I have tried to avoid waste of any kind, and with animals and three compost bins nothing 'edible' goes in our dustbin. However I am open to suggestion as I am sure are many of us and if any DSer has any ingenius ways of using every bit of a particular food I would be interested.
To start the ball rolling I use cabbage and broccoli stalks grated in coleslaw etc, I dry and crush egg shells in the hope of deterring slugs, and I freeze undrunk wine, gravy, sauces etc to add to stews, soups etc. I've even dried left over chips and used them as fire lighters - they work remarkably well.
Any other ideas?
derbyshiredowser

What on earth are " leftover chips " Confused
Dee J

Leftover chips are the mythical accompaniment to the equally mythical leftover wine. I've yet to witness the existence of either.
dpack

as i now make ginger beer in a 25 litre barrel after the third boil to extract the flavour the pulp from the 500 gm or more of ginger is used to make paper.

separate the small chippings from the fibres in a colander by a wash and use the mostly fibre pulp. sieve onto flyscreen mesh .after a squeeze followed by a wet ironing on a tea towel it makes a reasonably strong closed surface paper about a4 size.

used chip oil makes good firelighters mixed with chainsaw sawdust.

left over tea often goes into fruit wine to drop the acidity by precipitation of tannin/acid salts.

pelts from bunnies squizzers and assorted roadkill get oak gall tanned and are useful for lining hats,making mobile phone cosies etc etc .im planning to experiment with bunny vellum when i get chance.
Rob R

This is long overdue, there's been a move towards people being advised to eat less meat of late, and to pay more for it. This shortsighted idiotic advice means that people who follow it do eat it less often, but when they do they buy steak, as a treat. Rolling Eyes

We need more campaigns to tell people just to eat whatever is available and to make the most of it. protest
buzzy

What on earth are " leftover chips " Confused

More to the point, what can you possibly mean by "undrunk wine"? Confused Confused Confused

Henry
Tavascarow

What I don't eat the dogs do, including carrot tops, brocolli stem, apple cores & other miscellaneous F&V trimmings.
If they don't want it I have a worm bin that never rejects anything organic.
Tavascarow

This is long overdue, there's been a move towards people being advised to eat less meat of late, and to pay more for it. This shortsighted idiotic advice means that people who follow it do eat it less often, but when they do they buy steak, as a treat. Rolling Eyes

We need more campaigns to tell people just to eat whatever is available and to make the most of it. protest
Calling people idiots will rarely make you friends in my humble opinion. Lorrainelovesplants

On a similar vein - Im trying to find uses for another of things...

half a pack of Nesquick choc milk (yuk)
Steradent tablets (dont even ask why I have these)

Suggestions....?

I have heard that steradent are good for taking stains out of things...what things?
Mistress Rose

The trouble for producers of meat is that if everyone wants steak, chops and joints, what do they do with the other bits. I can't claim to be brilliant on that front, but at least I know how to cook some of the offal.

Not sure you can really use things like roots of most things that grow above the soil, although you can use the leaves of some root crops, although not potatoes.
buzzy

Suggestions....?

I have heard that steradent are good for taking stains out of things...what things?

Tea cups and coffee cups, allegedly. (And false teeth! Wink )

Henry
Wink
Rob R

We need more campaigns to tell people just to eat whatever is available and to make the most of it. protest Calling people idiots will rarely make you friends in my humble opinion.

I aren't calling anyone an idiot, please don't misquote me. Idiotic doesn't mean 'that person is an idiot' and neither is it referring to anyone, it refers to the advice which, whatever you call it (I meant thoughtless, hence the use of the word shortsighted) is having the opposite effect & creating a more wasteful culture.
dpack

Suggestions....?

steredent are ace for cleaning the inside of brewing tubes ,odd shaped bits of crockery ,the guinea pig water bottles etc etc etc
OtleyLad

I'm sure most people here know about eating beetroot leaves.
I also think the best flavour of a leek is in the green tops.
Garlic leaves are equally good.
Chive bulbs as tiny spring onions.
Dry bits of bread blended and frozen for breadcrumbs later.
Rosemary stalks for kebab sticks.
You can use the whole of the coriander plant (if washed).
Dog gets all the cabbage/cauli/brocolli stalks.

I am also baffled by the concept of leftover wine.
Bebo

Suggestions....?

Tupperware containers that have discoloured as a result of hotting things up in them in the microwave.
Hots

Steradent tablets are good for cleaning the loo bowl, just drop a couple in the pan and leave them overnight.

Citrus peel and avocado skins make excellent fire lighters when dried.

As for stalks and outer leaves? SOUP. Obviously.
Lorrainelovesplants

Goodness - loads of things I can do with the steradent tabs then!

I think the loo bowl is my fav! Smile

Nesquik choc milk mix? Its a dry powder.
I dont do milkshakes (lactose intolerant), but can I use it in cakes?
jettejette

Nesquik choc milk mix? Its a dry powder.
I dont do milkshakes (lactose intolerant), but can I use it in cakes?

I'm sure you could use it in cakes, as it's sweetened you'd need to cut down on sugar.
Perhaps you couuld mix it with a bit of water for a non alcoholic slug pub or a wasp trap in the Summer.
dpack

neskwik is the work of demons and should be used as an ingredient in (censored due to the terrorism legislation) Laughing Lorrainelovesplants

One of our helpexers bought it....... its pretty dire - chocolate milk mix....thank God my kids never wanted it. Laughing Treacodactyl

I think chocolate milkshake powder is one of those things best thrown out if you don't use it for milkshakes. Otherwise you'll end up wasting other useful ingredients. You could use it to add to a bowl of rice krispies to ruin them. Laughing

As for left over chips, I balance mine on my left shoulder when starting a new thread in Does it really matter. Cool Laughing
buzzy

I think chocolate milkshake powder is one of those things best thrown out if you don't use it for milkshakes. Otherwise you'll end up wasting other useful ingredients. You could use it to add to a bowl of rice krispies to ruin them. Laughing

As for left over chips, I balance mine on my left shoulder when starting a new thread in Does it really matter. Cool Laughing

Better check local regs on disposal of toxic substances! Wink

Henry
Mistress Rose

As I don't use breadcrumbs in cooking, I always freeze odd bits of left over bread and use it to make bread pudding. Every so often I have to evict all the bread from the freezer and make one. Think the time is coming quite soon. I also have to find the frozen sloes and make some bramble wine from the frozen blackberries.

My vegetable peelings go in the wormery or on the compost heap. The worms have been quite happy outside under the bay tree this winter and put their heads up when I feed them.
gregotyn

I am just asking, does steradent attack the bugs you want in a sceptic tank? Rob R

I am just asking, does steradent attack the bugs you want in a sceptic tank?

Yes, it "Kills 99.9% of bacteria".
Hots

Sceptic?
A deliberate, amusing typo?

We have a septic tank and using up Granny's old Steradent tablets in the downstairs loo doesn't seem to have affected it's efficaciousness.
Hairyloon

We have a septic tank and using up Granny's old Steradent tablets in the downstairs loo doesn't seem to have affected it's efficaciousness.
I expect a bucketload of them might make some difference...
buzzy

I expect a bucketload of them might make some difference...

Certainly might. Twice the safe dose s NOT twice as safe.

At work some years ago the cleaners 'killed' the septic tank by putting too much toilet cleaner (or cleaner of the wrong type) down the loos and sinks.

Henry
Slim

Sceptic?

It's okay, we would pronounce the typo the same way over here on this side of the pond.
Nick

Sceptic?

It's okay, we would pronounce the typo the same way over here on this side of the pond.

Usefully, we wouldn't. Otherwise, we'd know you as sceptics, not septics.

We throw all manner of stuff down our tank. Nothing much seems to bother it, even a heavy dose of caustic before Christmas.
Slim

Did you just call me a septic?

I'm skeptical....
Nick

Did you just call me a septic?

I'm skeptical....

I did. Wink
dpack

radish tops are pretty good in saag

if one scrapes the goo and seeds from a vanilla pod for cakes or puds add each pod as it becomes available to a jar of vodka to make extract
Slim

Eat kiwi skins. The fuzz isn't as bad as you'd think, it adds to your fiber intake, and you intimidate your enemies.

I actually do eat kiwi skins on the rare times I'm given a kiwi
dpack

fuzz is a matter of taste Slim

http://imgfave-herokuapp-com.global.ssl.fastly.net/image_cache/1389465243655856.jpg dpack

Laughing Laughing Laughing buzzy

The French, so I am led to believe, refer to Kiwi Fruit and souris vegetale - vegetable mice. Does eating the skins cause you to cough up pellets, as it does to birds of prey? Surprised Shocked

Henry
jettejette

The French, so I am led to believe, refer to Kiwi Fruit and souris vegetale - vegetable mice. Does eating the skins cause you to cough up pellets, as it does to birds of prey? Surprised Shocked

Henry
What a party trick! That might be the best reason for eating kiwi skins! 🐁 🐲
dpack

"stale" spices that got forgotten in a basket or draw are rather nice on a bbq to both flavour the food and often repel bothersome insects

cinnamon that is too old for adding to rice etc works especially well,cardamom is a bit odd but ok with sheep and chillies are best avoided(mweep better than cs)
gregotyn

Yes 'sceptic' tank, Hots . My tank seems to work, but I don't know how or where it is exactly, as it is sighted on someone else's property and there has never been a complaint in about 15 years, so I suppose it works! And as it is a sleeping dog it can lie! Slim

My tank... is sighted on someone else's property...

Now that is an impressive legal accomplishment
Nick

My tank... is sighted on someone else's property...

Now that is an impressive legal accomplishment

It's very common. Tanks are old and a pain to move. When people flog off a bit of land, and someone else builds on it, the waste pipe, and/or the tank sit in someone else's plot. Just need a line in the contract to allow access for repairs & emptying.
Lorrainelovesplants

yup, our is on someone else's land. We have whats called 'an easement' - we can (as long as we tell them) go and empty/repair it. (which we had to do last spring as the outflow had blocked with silt). Slim

I get it, I just have a hard time imagining anyone willfully buying land with someone else's septic on it. May be an artifact of presumably more available land here. buzzy

"stale" spices that got forgotten in a basket or draw are rather nice on a bbq to both flavour the food and often repel bothersome insects

cinnamon that is too old for adding to rice etc works especially well,cardamom is a bit odd but ok with sheep and chillies are best avoided(mweep better than cs)

Yep. Brings back tearful memories of a restaurant where the next table had some sort of sizzling curry/chilli dish. My friend and I were gasping and coughing and weeping until we begged the staff to open the windows.

Henry
jettejette

I put the bits and pieces from mulling wine on the fire afterwarrds to continue that lovely Christmassy smell!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home