Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
VM

Rosehips

Planning to make rosehips syrup. Tonnes of rosehips here, lovely and red but still very hard.

Some books say wait til after first frost for rosehips.

Any experts here? Do I wait til after frost or just till they have very slightly softened or go ahead now?
joanne

I've picked loads of Rosa Rugosa because they were very ripe, chopped them all up and stuck 'em in the freezer to do exactly the same thing when I've a bit more time next month
VM

Ah, hadn't thought of freezer - but perhaps that is because it is already full of elderberries...
bushcraftlife

I freeze then too. Works fine and also allows for several batches to be collected and then added together to be used at once.
gil

I picked, froze, and made a batch of rosehip syrup two weekends ago.
Jamanda

I really want to try and get some made this year. Need to find a handy Rosa rugosa bush.
mochyn

Do you have to take out the little hairs before making syrup, or do they strain out?
gil

they strain out, no probs, even using an ordinary sieve and not a muslin / jelly bag / coffee filter / old hanky.
alison

I really want to try and get some made this year. Need to find a handy Rosa rugosa bush.

We have tons of them, if you want to come over.
nats

Does it matter which hips? Any old rose?
gil

Does it matter which hips? Any old rose?

Any rosehips are fine : rosa canina (wild, long narrow hard dryish), rosa rugosa (big fat juicy one), ordinary garden roses rosehips, or even burnet rose (small dark purple).

I think people like using rosa rugosa because they are bigger, so you need to pick fewer to get the weight / bulk for jelly/syrup-making, but I've used all kinds, and really the rugosa are not significntly better.

And to repeat, bog-standard garden roses are absolutely fine to use.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home