Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipe Database
Hairyloon

Rosemary.

Bush needs a trim. Any good ideas for what to do with the trimmings?
There will be far more than I can sensibly use for anything I can think of, unless I try and go into essential oils or some such thing (which is not beyond the realms of fantasy...).
Jam Lady

Make a rosemary infused vinegar to use for cleaning. Add some lemon peel while infusing for extra oomph.

Make rosemary infused olive oil to use in cooking - good for home fried potatoes, for example.

Dry, then use in small sachets as moth repellants, especially pleasant scent if combined with dried lavender.
Hairyloon

Make rosemary infused olive oil to use in cooking - good for home fried potatoes, for example...

Any recommended recipes on that?
Chuck it all in a pan and heat gently is my guess, but what kind of proportions, what heat and for how long?
Jam Lady

In general I make a blended herb infused olive oil using thyme, rosemary, and oregano. Single herb oils are also nice.

Stuff a clean jar fairly full of clean, dry herbs. Add olive oil to cover.

NOTES: It is important that the herbs are completely covered by oil. Anything exposed will go moldy. Dry is also important. Use any quality of olive oil that would be used for cooking - need not be extra fancy first cold pressed virgin. Unless, that is, you will be using it as a dipping / finishing oil

Lay a piece of cling film over the surface, on the oil. Cap loosely and put in a dark cupboard for a month.

Strain into a clean jar. Discard the herbs. Store in a dark place away from heat.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipe Database
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home