Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
gardening-girl

Roses.

Not terribly downsizerish I know, but are there any rose experts out there?
Last year we had to clear some very old roses out of a 30'x1' border,we would like to replant with more roses,as its a very public part of the garden(work not home).I know there is a problem with replanting in ground that has had roses in before,but David Austen sell a product that can be used when replanting.
Does anyone have any idea if this works?
I would hate to spend a couple of hundred pounds for nothing.
T.G

not any help i realise, but personally i think roses are a real gardening delight and its a shame they appear to have fallen out of favour

i wish i knew the variety of one my mother always grew it was lilac in colour and the petals tasted of violets just like the Palma violet sweets

we grow dogwood roses, and an old t rose, but they are more left to their own devices
Mrs R

I can't be much help either - roses are one of my favourite flowers and I have a few, but I just put them in and let them get on with it really...I hope you can replant the patch though, and we can see pictures Very Happy
Nell Merionwen

how close together were the previous roses?
pookie

I got 4 David Austin roses for christmas, I'm really looking forward to seeing how they turn out! no help to you though sorry Smile
mochyn

The problem is rose replant sickness. The only way round it I know is to remove 1m3 (yes, a whole cubic metre) of soil from where you wan the new rose to go and replace it with soil from somewhere that's had no roses for a good few years.

However, I haven't come across the Austin's stuff: they do know their roses there (I've done contracts for them in the past) so I'd expect it to work. Being me though I'd plant something not related to roses in that place!

What's around the edge of the border? Paving? Lawn? Wall?
gardening-girl

Paving,main path to the big house.We need low maintainance,but some year round colour would be good.
Path runs N-S,with a low stone wall behind.
Residents frown on stuff growing over the pathways(can,t get the shopping trollies past).
Also, every resident is a self proclaimed garden expert!
gil

How long would you have to wait before replanting roses in the same ground ?

Could you plant a perfumed perennial border until then if it's not too many years ?
chez

I wonder if it's worth contacting Austins and asking Gil's question of them? A couple of years rest and then perhaps their magic stuff?
beean

I've used the David Austen stuff (rootgrow? something like that) which is meant to encourage the fungii etc that rose roots like -helping them establish and helping avoid rose replant sickness.
Whilst it may not be a great idea to replant in the same place, most rose problems affect top growth and not roots so you should get away with it. IMO a lot of stuff said about roses being difficult or pernickety is nonsense! I'd be inclined to prepare the bed as well as you can, with loads of compost/rotted manure/whatever and the rootgrow.
If you get bare-root roses then they should be way cheaper - should still be OK to get hold of them as been so cold this winter, could try David Austen as their roses are lovely....and they'd probably give some advice re: replanting in same place.
Alternatively, plant annuals this year and plant roses next winter as bare root.
mochyn

It's going to be dry soil, so how about lavenders/sages, that kind of thing? Underplanted with spring bulbs? I'm guessing it's sunny). Easily kept under control and fragrant. Could have some Dianthus (pinks) at the front too.
Tavascarow

I know little about roses as they dont do here without routine spraying so I've avoided them.
I agree with Mochyn, a fragrant mixed border, with delphiniums at the back?

Smile
Annette H

I have at least 40 roses from David Austin Embarassed , I love them as they flower all summer and they are such beautiful scented shrubs. Its not too far from us and is a wonderful place to visit anytime from June to October.

When I have needed to replace a rose I have removed the old soil and added a couple of barrows of well rotted compost. I have never had a problem although I know its not recommended.

They usually have a sale of bare root plants at this time of year (not that I have been looking at the website !)

Now would you like a list of recommendations ?...... Very Happy
HenX

I've heard (although for the life of me I can't remember where from ) that if youplant the new rose in a cardboard box by the time the new rose gets through the cardboard the threat from any nasties in the soil has basically gone.
gil

Seconded for pinks, lavenders. How about rosemary too ?

Aquilegia [columbines] are perennial and self-seed. I think they look lovely. Not scented.
For a colour contrast to delphiniums, how about monbretia or crocosmia interspersed at the back ?
Oriental poppies [nice foliage too]

You could scatter night-scented stock seed around - they don't look like much but smell fantastic.

Lupins attract green- and blackfly, so avoid them.
gil

re actual roses, why not try some of the hardy, scented wild or old ones ?

rosa rugosa
rosa (gallica? or pimpinellifolia ?) spinossissima [scotch rose/burnet rose]
rosa gallica damascena
T.G

Crookham Farm wrote:
I've heard (although for the life of me I can't remember where from ) that if youplant the new rose in a cardboard box by the time the new rose gets through the cardboard the threat from any nasties in the soil has basically gone.

that sounds a nifty idea Very Happy
gardening-girl

Have spoken to nice lady at David Austen.She advises not replanting with roses unless we remove/replace soil.
Back to the drawing board!
They don,t want Lavander as we have loads already,and it has to have some year round interest.The wall behind is very low,so not really suitable for tall herbacious.
Something intersperced with Crocosmia would be nice,perhaps the Pitisporum Purpurea,nice contrast.
mochyn

If they don't want more Lavender I'd seriously consider sages and pinks. Lovely combination, both want the same conditions, both evergreen.
yummersetter

what about peonies from Kelways? They have the effect of roses and some of the perfumes are wonderful. Splash out on some Japanese ones as well as the usual lactiflora. Short flowering season but lovely leaves and early spring shoots.

And for winter, lonicera fragrantissima and sarcococca (Christmas Box), they'll be good plain background in summer for the crocosmia.
T.G

peonies - are an absolute joy to see, they are so beautiful, and relatively easy to grow, great reward for little effort Very Happy bliss
yummersetter

yes, and Kelways is only a few miles from GG and us, they regularly win gold and silver medals at Chelsea for their paeonies and have a huge selection. Need to be planted right now, I reckon.

Hmm, maybe I need some too . . .
mochyn

Ooh yes: Sarcococa, definitely. Most fantastic winter scent!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home