Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Rob R

Rosewood woollens

anneka wrote:
I heard it 'here' first - and I am a big knitter! More information please!

Anneka

PS. I am sooo dislexsic that I am entitled to pick up on the odd mistake I do see without retribution, ok!

And it's normally me who picks up on other people's mistakes Twisted Evil Laughing

Since you've provided this thread, I suppose I had better keep to my side of the bargain Cool

Well, I've made arrangements this year to have the fleeces from our Kerry Hill sheep spun into hand knitting wool. Really it was just a personal experiment to see what it turns out like, but having accumulated 40kg of fleece, it got me thinking what to do with any surpluses there might be.

The fleeces are all bagged up awaiting collection right now, and I don't really know what to expect coming back, but it would be nice to have something to show for all that hard work- it looks good on the sheep, so hopefully the end result will be the same Very Happy
anneka

Do you know if Kerry Hill produce a good fleece? I don't really know that much about them, I have an incling that they are similar to Clun Forest but I'm not sure, I'll have a look at your web site and see if I can find out Very Happy .

Anneka
Rob R

Yes, the fleece of the Kerry Hill is among the softest of British Wools (I'm quoting here Cool ) Stats:

Av. staple length 10cm
Av. fleece weight 2.75kg
Bradford Count 54-56's
tahir

Mrs L might be interested in this
Sarah D

Just found this, and definitely interested. Would either like to purchase for my own use, or offer my handknitting services if you would like something knitted up. Let me know.
tahir

There's some good avatar's on here but I think Rob's is going to take some beating, wonder if they taste as good as they look?
Rob R

Lowlander wrote:
Just found this, and definitely interested. Would either like to purchase for my own use, or offer my handknitting services if you would like something knitted up. Let me know.

I'll keep you all posted how it goes, it is quite a leap into the unknown for us, and we're looking forward to seeing what 'our' wool really looks like all spun up Very Happy With the cost of processing, I felt it was rather more of a personal indulgence than anything else, but a quick calculation of the potential yield (followed by looking up the price of equivalent wool, by the ball) made me think that we might be able to recoup some, if not all, of the cost. The best thing though will be to see the Kerry wool appreciated in its own right.
Rob R

Tahir wrote:
There's some good avatar's on here but I think Rob's is going to take some beating, wonder if they taste as good as they look?

Well, thank you. I was going to use our logo, but the file was a little large, so looking throught the pictures I came across these two, reduced the picture size a little & it seemed to work Cool

As for how they taste, I would say as good, if not better, but then I am biased. Wink However, I haven't yet had anyone disagree with me :-y It's certainly not a meat you would encounter in the average supermarket.
Lyn

[quote="Rob R It's certainly not a meat you would encounter in the average supermarket.[/quote]

I would agree with that Rob! It's the best taste and texture lamb I've eaten. Smile
alison

Rob

Where did you get them processed.
Rob R

We are getting the fleeces spun by the Natural Fibre Company in Wales. They haven't actually gone yet, but the courier rang today to check it was OK to collect Very Happy
alison

Are you sending enough wool, that it will be all your own or are you going into a co-op spin thing, that they do.
Rob R

All our own, yes, so it will be pure Kerry Hill wool Very Happy
alison

How many kilos will it be and what is the postage. I have some that needs processing, but I haven't got around to it yet.
Rob R

I sent 15 fleeces, both bags were just under 20kg. Postage is £10 per parcel collected (max 24kg per bag) & £7-50 per parcel returned.
Sarah D

Let us know the progress of the wool, won't you?
alison

I think it will be quite a time, as they usually have a long waiting list there.
Rob R

It's been quite a time already, just getting them to pick it up, I would guess that means it will be fairly quickly turned around, unless they have loads of space. Then, of course, there'll be the bill to settle up Confused
Rob R

Just to give you all an update- the wool has been spun & I should be getting it in the New Year Very Happy . I'll let you know again when I get it & how much there is to spare.
Bugs

Rob..can I ask how much the actual spinning was (or better still would you be able to do a breakdown of the various costs altogether).

And, I guess you don't have time, but just in case...has Tahir asked you to do an article yet Very Happy ? This could be quite a nice little complete story, from sheep to fleece to yarn to clothes! I'd love to read it. Wink
Rob R

I could put down all the costs, though you may be just better contacting them direct (www.thenaturalfibre.co.uk) as the pricing structure is based upon the weight of the finshed yarn, which itself depends on the quality of your fleece, in addition to other factors, such as the hank size & other special requirements. There is a minimum of 20kg of fleece per batch.

As regards the article- Yes, I have been asked & something has been done, but I am not happy with it at the moment & just lacking the opportunity to finish it off. There are a few other subjects, one of them being your suggestion, which have inspired me this Christmas, of which you may see in 2005.
Bugs

Haven't got much to contact them about...I'm definitely making early enquiries as it'll be some years before we can have sheep!

Look forward to your other ideas too - if I can be of any help with the existing article (suggestions, rather than answers) let me know - PM or email editor at downsizer.net if you like.
tahir

Rob R wrote:
As regards the article- Yes, I have been asked & something has been done

Thanks Rob, hope you're well, been busy?
Rob R

If anyone is interested in the Kerry fleece, it has been spun into naturally coloured 100g balls of 3-ply, Light Aran type wool. I will have a quantity which will be surplus to requirements, so if you may be interested in buying some or want to enquire, e-mail me on: enquires@rosewoodfarms.co.uk
tahir

I'll have some, the wife's started knitting.
sean

tahir wrote:
I'll have some, the wife's started knitting.

Voluntarily?
tahir

Of course Laughing

She started off with a bulletproof scarf (knitted with the wrong needles), she's almost finished Mk II
Bugs

I've just completed my first mitten! That's mitten, singular. Treacodactyl can't understand why I'm so excited Rolling Eyes

It's shaped at the thumb and the wrist and the end and everything Cool Humour me. Very Happy It's the first thing I've *ever* knitted - my brother doesn't call me Ten Thumbs for nothing. Laughing

Have yet to actually stitch it together in to something wearable though. And make the other one... Embarassed
sean

That's probably very impressive, when did you start this project? Wink
BTW I can't knit or sew though I do have basic tapestry skills, so I am impressed by anyone knitting anything.
Bugs

I started on Christmas Day afternoon (yes, this Christmas... Wink ). The OH's mum gave me a pattern and suggested the mittens as being quite satisfactorily achievable but still interesting.

Don't know how long it's taken, a fair bit because I've had a cold so it was a nice fireside activity. Very Happy

I think I'll start the other hand tomorrow...

I like the sound of basic tapestry skills - it sounds a bit like first aid..."Let this man through, he has basic tapestry skills" Laughing
Sarah D

Bugs wrote:
it sounds a bit like first aid..."Let this man through, he has basic tapestry skills" Laughing

Well, you never know...........

Well done with the mitten, there'll be no stopping you and Mrs Tahir soon.
Lyn

I'd like enough for my sister-in-law to knit a jumper for my brother. He is finding it a bit cold over here after 13 years in New Zealand! I've told him that KH wool is the best he can get! Please PM me if you have any left with a price.

Thanks Rob....
Lynda.
alison

Lyn, you will have to register, and not be a guest to get PM's.

To all with an interest, we now have the Kerry Hill wool back &

We have decided upon a price of £3-99 per 100g ball, retail price, + postage. I have a few orders reserved, but still have a quantity available, so if you'd like a specific amount, please e-mail me & I'll put your name down & send you a pro-forma invoice, including postage. Very Happy
Rob R

...and, if you send the invoice/delivery address(es) with your requirements, that would be great Cool
Rob R

Right now my website & e-mail are down Sad , so if you need to contact me/haven't received a reply, it is because of that, so best PM me on here.
Rob R

Poncho in progress, using the Kerry Hill wool...
tahir

Knitting it yourself?
Rob R

No, I concentrated on growing & removing the stuff Laughing

...the craftsmanship lies entirely in the hands of my mother.
alison

Proberbly be weaaring it though Rob eh? Very Happy Wink
Rob R

No hmph Laughing
tahir

Have you had any fleeces done?
Rob R

More pictures of the wool:

alison

Nice labels Rob. Did NFC do those as well, or did you have to arrange them separately
Treacodactyl

Hand wash only Shocked
Gertie

Aw, Kerry Hill's are so cute - they remind me of little aliens (er, their markings). Funny thing, after looking at the sheep and looking at the ball of wool I was wondereing where the black bits had gone (doh!).
Rob R

alison wrote:
Nice labels Rob. Did NFC do those as well, or did you have to arrange them separately

They would have done them, at extra cost, but not knowing how good the wool would be spun up, we decided not to splash out that far. Those are just home-made labels.

Treacodactyl wrote:
Hand wash only Shocked

Again, this being an unknown, pure wool, we didn't want to advise anything that might damage it, so we stayed on the safe side- hence, you machine wash at your own risk.
Rob R

Gertie wrote:
Aw, Kerry Hill's are so cute - they remind me of little aliens (er, their markings). Funny thing, after looking at the sheep and looking at the ball of wool I was wondereing where the black bits had gone (doh!).

That's why, through pedigree breeding, we aim to eliminate black from the fleece wool.
sean

Are you planning on doing this again?
Rob R

sean wrote:
Are you planning on doing this again?

Providing I can clear it with the wool board, yes.
tahir

Rob R wrote:
Providing I can clear it with the wool board, yes.

eh?
alison

Wool has to go to the wool marketing board, unless you have special clearance.
tahir

Gotcha
Bugs

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I've just this morning received my parcel of Rob R's wool and it's quite as lovely as the pictures suggest. I'd also like to commend Rob for being such a friendly and patient supplier and doing exactly what he says he'll do.

Very highly recommended, and I'm really pleased that my first contact with a supplier on this site has been so successful - I look forward to many more! Very Happy

Now, I must decide on something that will make full use of this lovely stuff, and you might have a bigger order next year Rob! Good luck with the rest of the sales and with the 2005 "harvest" - I hope both are as successful as you deserve. Cool
tahir

My order is in too
Rob R

I can now confirm that the BWMB will be complying with my request for exemption, in order to sell our own wool under the "Rosewood Farms" name Very Happy
sean

Brilliant, you must be chuffed. Very Happy Cool
Rob R

sean wrote:
Brilliant, you must be chuffed. Very Happy Cool

Yes, it would rather have been a spanner in the works had they not agreed Cool
tahir

Got my wool yesterday, ta Rob Wink
wellington womble

Me too - Thanks, it looks lovely.

What are planning to knit, tahir?
tahir

I'm going to get Sarah to knit something for the missus, probably a cardigan
Rob R

Just wanted to bring this back to the top again Very Happy

Mother is still knitting away with her allocation of the Rosewood wool Laughing So far there's been a poncho, blanket, hat, mittens, gloves and, the next project, a jumper. Photos coming soon Cool
Bugs

Rob, we saw some Kerry Hill sheep on the local ITV station, a programme called Carlton Country. Unfortunately it's a pretty silly programme which mainly concentrated on an idiot woman transporting them from Wales to Berkshire in the back of her Merc and then, when they got home, nearly wedging one under the car while trying to frighten them in to a pen, then shouting excitedly at the poor creatures who naturally ran in to the darkest corner to escape.

Don't know whether anyone else down here would have seen it (hope the woman doesn't pop in to this site; but I stand by the idea that transporting sheep in the back of an estate car is not a bright idea for anyone concerned).

Anyway, the sheep were nice. Very Happy

I'm still awaiting a consultation from my own personal knitting guru (OH's mum) on what I could use my allocation best for - but it's been serving a purpose as everyone who comes in to the house is shown it and told where it comes from Wink
Rob R

Bugs wrote:
Don't know whether anyone else down here would have seen it (hope the woman doesn't pop in to this site; but I stand by the idea that transporting sheep in the back of an estate car is not a bright idea for anyone concerned).

Not to mention that it's illeagal. Rolling Eyes

I had a really wierd moment there when I entered this post & all my writing had disappeared, so I'll start again...

I've never seen KHs on TV before, and that sounds interesting. I first discovered the breed after reading about them in an autobiographical book (in fact, I did that with the Dexters too Very Happy). The first Kerry I saw was a tup at the Scottish Wool Centre. Just recently added to my collection of old flock books with one from 1918- it was interesting to see how the breed has changed over the past 90 years Smile
Rob R

Here's the first picture of what the 'knitting dept.' has produced Laughing - the Kerry Hill cot blanket Smile
alison

Looks great Rob.

We still use our baby blankets, as everyone likes their heads cosy in our house.
Gertie

Rob, the blanket looks lovely - your 'knitting dept' is a credit to you. You'll have to be extra nice on Mother's Day!!!! Laughing
tahir

Rob R wrote:
the Kerry Hill cot blanket Smile

All you need now is someone to use it Wink Laughing
Rob R

tahir wrote:
Rob R wrote:
the Kerry Hill cot blanket Smile

All you need now is someone to use it Wink Laughing

It was a gift- It's been in use every day since I sent it Very Happy
Rob R

Here's some more pictures; hat, gloves & poncho Very Happy
Rob R

Got the official letter the other day confirming that I've got exemption from the Wool Marketing Scheme for the next two years Very Happy They said the board likes to encourage "local craft business" Cool
Bugs

Quote:
the board likes to encourage "local craft business"

Wow, just like us Laughing Only you don't have to wait the best part of 6 mnths (or was it more?) for an answer here Laughing

Better get practising then so I can put in next year's order Wink
Rob R

Bugs wrote:
Quote:
the board likes to encourage "local craft business"

Wow, just like us Laughing Only you don't have to wait the best part of 6 mnths (or was it more?) for an answer here Laughing

Better get practising then so I can put in next year's order Wink

No, the answer came fairly quick- it was the 'official' answer that took a while Laughing
Sarah D

I dyed 100g very successfully with walnuts yesterday; another 100g destined for a nettle bath this morning! Laughing
Sarah D

I dyed 100g very successfully with walnuts yesterday; another 100g destined for a nettle bath this morning! Laughing
Bugs

Ooh, going to do us some piccies, Sarah? I was most impressed with the washing up water after we cooked our first batch of nettles this week, I'd especially like to see how that comes out. I'm still waiting for TD's mother's advice on what to make of my wool, so I might be experimenting yet myself Very Happy
Sarah D

There'll be piccies at some point, but they will probably put on to http://www.mrsl.forumsplace.com when they are done. There's lots of dyestuffs coming along in the garden, so the kitchen will be covered in strange brews for a while yet!
Bugs

All most interesting, Sarah Very Happy
wellington womble

This is probably a very silly question, but what colour did it go with the walnuts? I'm guessing brown, which sounds like it would go with the orginal natural colour very nicely.

how did you do it? Will it be washable?
Rob R

Due to factory change overs, this years crop, being spun into a Double Knitting yarn (100g) will be ready a little later into the New Year, though hopefully by the end of February. The Light Aran weight is still in stock though, available through our website.
Rob R

The fleeces have been sent off now so it shouldn't be long before the DK is available Cool
Sarah D

Very Happy Very Happy

Getting seriously into the natural dyes now, so will be putting in an order, probably. Cool
Bugs

Rob R wrote:
The fleeces have been sent off now so it shouldn't be long before the DK is available Cool

Don't forget to email the trading post address to update your ad, Rob Smile
Rob R

Bugs wrote:
Rob R wrote:

Don't forget to email the trading post address to update your ad, Rob Smile

Will do salute

What's happened to the Upperwood Farm ad on here?
tahir

Rob R wrote:
What's happened to the Upperwood Farm ad on here?

They've encountered a few difficulties.
Rob R

At long last I'm pleased to be able to announce that the Kerry Hill DK wool is available. It is a little bit more than the Light Aran @ £4-20 a 100g ball or £3-80 in hanks.

Pictures to follow soon. Cool
wellington womble

Where's the determindly-looking-the-other-way smiley?

Can highly reccommend the wool to anyone else with a problem!
sally_in_wales

I have a few balls of 'last seasons' vintage waiting for a special projetc, seriously tempted by some in this weight. Will sit on my hands and try to resist for a few seconds at least
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home