Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
OtleyLad

Rust!

Got a spot of rust on me garlic - I had grown it in the polytunnel especially to prevent that happening. It was on a plant just by the door - spores must have blown it or something.
Luckily the plants are already quite big so should still get a reasonable crop (shouldn't have said that).

Does rust over winter on some plants? I was wondering if it survived on some of the wild things (weeds, etc) growing on the borders of my plot ?
Luath

Rust spores will survive in the soil, I believe
OtleyLad

Just read here that you can treat garlic rust with gin! Painting the pustules with alcohol (use a brush) can control it (article on the Garlic farm site).

Also garlic doesn't like acid soils - we are definately on acid soil so this autumn i'll add lime before planting.

Don't know about using gin though - maybe i'll just drink it to toast the smaller crop Laughing
Treacodactyl

We used to get a fair bit of garlic rust when we gardened on chalky soil, so I doubt liming will help with the rust.

If you only have a patch on a single plant I'd just remove the plant or the leaf.
Mistress Rose

Had a really bad attack of rust on the garlic. I removed the leaves, but don't think they are going to do anything else, and as they were planted in the autumn, think it is about time to lift them anyway.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Digital Point Advertising Array Web Advertising Array Digital Point Ads