Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
High Green Farm

Saddle of venison

I have a whole saddle of venison that I plan to cook this weekend for friends, as we are having a barbecue. The only problem is that the meat has not been hung, and I am concerned that it will be too tough.

Any ideas on the best treatment for this?

Thanks
James
Jonnyboy

Tough call, but I would certainly look at a marinade, maybe larding it as well before cooking.

It may be worth slowly cooking it in the oven and then finishing on the BBQ to help.
High Green Farm

Slow cooking was what I was thinking, but we will be using one of the ovens for a slow cooked whole leg of pork (home grown...RIP), and fancied doing the venison fairly red.
judith

Was it farmed or running wild? Do you know how old the animal was?
If it is from a youngish animal, I would probably risk roasting it hard and fast. But it would need larding well and resting properly.
Jonnyboy

Could be a case of suck it and see then, I would go for a marinade though, something like a bottle of red wine, onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary, bay, some olive oil, seasonings, a bit of wine vinegar or even a couple of squeezed oranges or lemons. Give it 24 hours in that before cooking.
High Green Farm

It was a wild young Roe deer.
judith

I would risk it then. You can always slice very thinly if it is a bit chewy.
Treacodactyl

This weeks shooting times cooks a sadle of Roe cutlets. They put a little butter on them, cover with bacon and then a few glasses of red wine and cook for a total of 20 mins, the last ten without the bacon. No mention of how long the venison has been hung for.
High Green Farm

Jonnyboy wrote:
Could be a case of suck it and see then, I would go for a marinade though, something like a bottle of red wine, onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary, bay, some olive oil, seasonings, a bit of wine vinegar or even a couple of squeezed oranges or lemons. Give it 24 hours in that before cooking.

I went for the marinade option and then barbecued it......it was perfect! Very tender and tasty too!

Thanks
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home