Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Shan

Samphire

I saw some Samphire seeds on Suttons and was wondering if anyone has successfully grown it?
dpack

marsh or rock?

guessing that most plants grow best in conditions similar to their natural habitat, i would think rock to be easier to grow in an inland setting.a stoney patch,wall or rockery with a bit of compost/seaweed to root into and give it the occasional spraying with sea salt strength brine

marsh needs salt marsh ie mud flooded with brine fairly often and enough rain to prevent over salting and probably never drying out completely.

for eating i prefer rock as a spice and marsh as a green.
Shan

I'm not sure. The variety is Salicornia Europaea.

http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Vegetable+Seeds/James+Wong+Homegrown+Revolution+Seeds/Samphire+Seeds_188033.htm
dpack

marsh ,there are cultivation guides online

heremight be leaning to the commercial but could be scaled down for domestic use
Shan

Thanks.
dpack

most recipes are for fish dishes but both sorts work very well with bacon/ham

marsh samphire and bacon quiche is ace

dry salty ham boiled with rock s is also very good (i often carry dry ham as trail food and discovered that combo in south wales on sully island .that bit of the coast is ace for foraging rock (and sea beet as a green)
Nick

Yep, it goes very well with all pork products, especially dryer, saltier stuff, so crispy bacon, or ham, or crackling, or even with chorizo and salami.

It goes well with scallops, too, obviously.
tahir

It goes well with scallops, too, obviously.

How do you know, that's fish innit?
dpack

scallops are honorary meat if they hide under a slice of black pud Laughing
Nick

scallops are honorary meat if they hide under a slice of black pud Laughing

This. I can tolerate them sometimes, with curried cauliflower, or chilli, or pork products.
Shan

Samphire actually goes really well with lamb. sean

Almost everything goes well with lamb though...garlic, anchovies, rosemary, thyme, capers, chili, coriander, cumin... Shan

Samphire goes particularly well as a green. dpack

marsh is nice as a green

rock(a rather different species)is a bit strong in taste to want a plateful and contains some compounds which are possibly toxic enough to avoid in large quantities much like green chillis are fine as a spice but bad as a large salad or portion of boiled greens Laughing

when using rock i find a few stems is plenty to flavour a pound of boiled bacon

when using marsh veg portions apply
Shan

Samphire (marsh) always makes me think that it is the sea's offering of asparagus. In fact I think it would be better off if it were called sea asparagus. dpack

the texture can be similar .

do you recon growing it is worth the effort ?
dpack

having thought about it in a container near a drain or in a unproductive corner any salty run off would not be a problem Shan

It is one of my favourite greens, so I am going to give it a go. I just need to decide where to put it. Perhaps under an outdoor tap so it gets regular watering. dpack

near a tap/drain makes sense Nick

We are lucky enough to have it always on sale at Morrisons, locally, where it's cheap and fresh and crisp. Waitrose also stock it, but it's four thousand times the price. dpack

the stuff in shops is marsh

for rock the best places i know of are the coast between penarth and barri ,the coast north of alnmouth and the top of a pebble beach somewhere on the south coast (last one is a bit vague Laughing )
Nicky cigreen

We are lucky enough to have it always on sale at Morrisons, locally, where it's cheap and fresh and crisp. Waitrose also stock it, but it's four thousand times the price.

where does it come from though? a lot that is sold here in shops comes from far away.
Cathryn

the stuff in shops is marsh

for rock the best places i know of are the coast between penarth and barri ,the coast north of alnmouth and the top of a pebble beach somewhere on the south coast (last one is a bit vague Laughing )

I know a good place. I pick samphire and gather mussels and then feast. I think I took Jamanda there once.
Nick

We are lucky enough to have it always on sale at Morrisons, locally, where it's cheap and fresh and crisp. Waitrose also stock it, but it's four thousand times the price.

where does it come from though? a lot that is sold here in shops comes from far away.

Not a clue, tbh. It's loose, and I don't think carries a source. I shall try and remember to check.
Nick

Israel. dpack

Shocked

how strange
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home