Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
cab

Sand for storing veg... How dry?

Most books advixe me to store veg like carrots, radishes and beetroot in dry sand (although I've also seen moist sand!).

Does this mean that I should get it really dry? How do I go about it, do I leave it in the oven as it cools? Should I leave it in a wooden box to dry out for a few days?
Jonnyboy

It's a bit dear but playpit sand is what you want. Bug free, dry and clean. Take a wander over to toys r us.
sean

My parents always used to store our carrrots in our sandpit. I think that cleanness is more important than moisture level.
cab

We only have a babies r us in Cambridge I'm afraid!

I've got a bag of silver sand that's about the same consitency, though. It's dry to the touch, so it ought to do the trick; I'm glad I don't need to dry it out or anything.

I've never had enough of an excess to need to store before, this is all a new experience for me. The transition from a few veg in the garden to having an allotment isn't about knowing how to grow more things, it's about workign out how the hell to deal with bigger harvests ! Smile
Behemoth

Sand pit sand is silver sand - B&Q sell it. The silver sand in the builders section was marginally cheaper than the playpit sand in the garden section. But there wasn't much in it. I think this is preffered to builders sand which compacts whereas this retains a structure due to the shape of the grains but I could be wrong. Storage governs what I grow, I've got room for a bit of storage but mainly grow stuf that can stand a long time. One tip I''ve heard is to make sure you ahve a spare bin/box or whatever you're storing the veg in. Then as you work your way down you tip the excess sand into the empty bin making it easier to get to the bottom and keeping your sand safe, clean and dry for next year.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home