Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
RichardW

Satellite internet

Does anyone use satellite internet?

How are you finding it?

Does the high ping time make a big difference to usability?

I know when out current internet is running badly the pings are around 200ms, the sat is said to have 600ms pings.
vegplot

I'm not speaking from personal experience only from what people who've used satellite Internet have told me. Performance isn't great as latency is a big issue.
RichardW

Thats my worry.

Would be nice to actually get info from someone that is using it now.
vegplot

Thats my worry.

Would be nice to actually get info from someone that is using it now.

The few I know who used didn't do so for very long.
Piggyphile

I have it here (Spain). Phone calls to UK through skype have a short lag which you do get used to as it just means breathing between sentences. My husband uses it to talk to work (also in UK) using the hangouts on Google plus with a webcam and he doesn't have any noticeable lag.

No other choice here as no masts in this area.
Paul Sill

I have had it for about 18 months, Just got to watch data usage and its quite expensive but its better than dial up. No good for on line gaming but I have watched hours of youtube videos with no problems.
RichardW

For the package price wise its dearer than land line but closely comparable to mobile internet costs. For over data usage its cheaper than mobile internet by a long way.
sgt.colon

We use they at the hotel for the guest internet.

The ping rates are terrible. On the hotel ADSL we get 1.5mb down and .5mb up and it works loads better than the Satellite Internet 20mb down and 10mb up and it's all down to the ping rate. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home