Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
franco

Sausage making equipment

I've various bits of sausage making equipment that needs shifting.

I've a few fillers that need a bit of TLC that I will give to anyone who is genuinely hard up, they need minor attention as they have been returned from customers with minor faults but can be easily rectified.

let me know if you would like one.

Franco
hedgehogpie

Woah! Freaky picture!!

Shocked

Had a look at your webby and it strikes me your the guy for advice: I'm interested in making my own sausages, but I can't seem to find a manual stuffer* that doesn't cost an arm and a leg - do you know of anything that would be worth looking out for? Even second hand stuff seems pretty hard to come by and for a newbie like me it's all a bit daunting to say the least.....

* I like stuff that's really simple - less to go wrong!
mrutty

Best to PM Franco as he's snowed under at the moment or mail Steph at the office.
hedgehogpie

Very Happy Thanks for that!

I've been reading the threads on sausage making, which are interesting if you've got as far as actually doing it - but I'm still teetering on the brink and trying to get to grips with what's the best equipment to use.
mrutty

Well if you want to have a go before you take the jump then pm Debbie as she's just setup a new business where you can buy pork and help process it. With any luck she'll have a range of stuff and you can try before you buy. The bonus of course being you get to eat the practice sausages Cool
Debbie

Hi Hedgehogpie,

If you want a helping hand let me know. we are just starting up but it our intention to run pig procesessing weekends for a max of 4 people at a time where you process your own half/whole pig into bacon, sausages, joints etc down here with us. We will arrange it all for you and guarantee you will have fun as well as learn a lot and go home with a car full of your labours. We rear our own rare breeds (Berkshires and saddlebacks).

I am sure Franco will be along with some helpful advice too. He really knows his stuff, we buy all our skins etc from him.
hedgehogpie

Hi Debbie, Wow! Sounds exactly what I've been looking for - I need to know that I'll be able to cope with the butchery side of things, and there's not much point in leaving it too late to learn!

Brilliant. Very Happy Thanks so much for taking the time to post. Can you let me have some further info please?, I'd definitely be interested.

hello2 Hi mrutty & thanks for the help!
Pilsbury

Hi, I just picked up a mincer off E-Bay and want to try sausages and bacon as well so some info on the weekends would be most welcom if possable.
Thanks
Debbie

Hi both,

sorry for the delay but have been updating the website. If you have a look at my site we have just put some details up of the processing weekends and what we are aiming to do. Having said that this is a new venture for us so, if you are willing to act as guinea pigs, if the weekends are not exactly what you are after let me know and I will try and tailor something to your specific needs

Debbie
hedgehogpie

Debbie wrote:
Hi both,

sorry for the delay but have been updating the website. If you have a look at my site we have just put some details up of the processing weekends and what we are aiming to do. Having said that this is a new venture for us so, if you are willing to act as guinea pigs*, if the weekends are not exactly what you are after let me know and I will try and tailor something to your specific needs

Debbie

Hi Debbie, thanks! I'll certainly go have look at your webbie. Got myself a Porkert no. 10 (mincer) a little while ago - anyone used these? What do you make of them?

*guinea pigs Eh? Sure, happy to be - as long as that's of the non edible variety! snorting
Naomi

Hi Hedgehogpie ,
I have PMed you the details of friends of mine in Surrey that run sausage making courses. I thought you might be interested?
hedgehogpie

Hi! Frankly I'm interested in anything that'll get me started, but admittedly the closer the venue the easier it'll be to fit round family stuff. Thanks for the PM, I've bookmarked the info and I'll get in touch with them.

Wasn't someone asking about sausagemaking books a little while back? All the ones I've come across seem to be American - does anyone know of any good UK equivalents?
Naomi

The River Cottage Cookbook has a fair selection of sausage recipes.

Once you have made a few batches of basic recipe sausages, you'll find you will be more confident about experimenting with various flavour combinations.

It isn't as tricky as you think!
Penny Outskirts

hedgehogpie wrote:
Wasn't someone asking about sausagemaking books a little while back? All the ones I've come across seem to be American - does anyone know of any good UK equivalents?

I think that may have been me - here's the link Sausages

Some great recipes there - IIRC Cab's were especially good Very Happy
hedgehogpie

River Cottage Cookbook.... Now there's something I've been trying to get my hands on!

Thanks for the link Penny - I'll peruse it at my leisure.

I guess our American cousins must still have their homesteading heads on, there seem to be so many more books on off grid style living from American publishing houses that sound interesting but I tend to be a little put off because they don't tend to translate well to a Brit setting (mores the pity).

But talking of books.......I just did a count up, and realised I've got 19 on preserving alone! Should I be worried I wonder... or is a lifetime subscription to the WI in order??
joanne

hedgehogpie wrote:
But talking of books.......I just did a count up, and realised I've got 19 on preserving alone! Should I be worried I wonder... or is a lifetime subscription to the WI in order??

No - it just means you'll fit in perfectly around here I daren't count up how many cookbooks I've got Embarassed

Oh and I had my first go at making sausages a little while ago having bought 1/2 a pig from Rob R - Its alot easier than you think its going to be even my 9 year old had a go at it

I've also just taken my first ham out of the salt it was preserving in cut it in half (well it was 9kg) and I'm really really pleased with the result - It was going to be an air-dried ham so I did it using Hugh's recipe but as the weather is so warm and I don't have anywhere cool to hang it I thought we'd eat it "wet" so to speak - so one half is currently soaking in cold water to remove any excess salt and will be cooked later on today - then finished off roasted with mustard and honey

The other half has been frozen for another day

Joanne

So
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home