Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
footprints

sausage stuffer

If anybody can reconmend a good sausage stuffer (machine) I would love to hear about it.
judith

The Kenwood attachment is fine for reasonably-sized batches - 20 lbs or so.
pink bouncy

Yep, I can second that. I don't know where I'd be without mine now.
tahir

pink bouncy wrote:
I don't know where I'd be without mine now.

Stuffed?
footprints

judith wrote:
The Kenwood attachment is fine for reasonably-sized batches - 20 lbs or so.

We bought a new kenwood and to my wifes dismay I have "rubbished it" since the day we bought it. (I paid for it) Don't want to offend anybody who has a cherished kenwood, but for me they are over priced kitchen ornaments.
Nick

I have one too. It's on its third generation of use. On staying power alone, it's worth the money.
pink bouncy

tahir wrote:
Stuffed?

Laughing Knackered more like, before I got the kenwood I was using a funnel and a wooden spoon! Shocked
Naomi

I have a very old sausage stuffer ,that I bought from a bootfair for a £1.
My father managed to pick up an identical one up for himself , a few weeks later, so you may be lucky and be able to find one ?

It does the job perfectly well, but I admit it is not as fast as an electric machine.
I guess it depends on how many you'll be making and how often?
Stacey

footprints wrote:

We bought a new kenwood and to my wifes dismay I have "rubbished it" since the day we bought it. (I paid for it) Don't want to offend anybody who has a cherished kenwood, but for me they are over priced kitchen ornaments.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Heathen! Twisted Evil
dougal

footprints wrote:
... We bought a new kenwood and ... I have "rubbished it" since the day we bought it. (I paid for it)

What model?
And in what way has it failed to live up to your expectations?

Unless overstressed (not very easy), they seem to last forever...

Is there something else that you are now aware of, and wished you'd bought instead?
footprints

dougal wrote:
footprints wrote:
... We bought a new kenwood and ... I have "rubbished it" since the day we bought it. (I paid for it)

What model?
And in what way has it failed to live up to your expectations?

Unless overstressed (not very easy), they seem to last forever...

Is there something else that you are now aware of, and wished you'd bought instead?

The machine is a Chef classic, and it was a complete waste of money. My wife defends it saying that i expect too much.

How has it failed to live up tp my expectations?

You get a dough hook with the kit, but the machine cannot handle a standard bag of flour (3lb)

Bought a large baconer last week and baconed all exept one large shoulder which I minced with the kenwood for sausage. The kenwood grunted and groaned and made plastic gear stripping sounds which bought my wife into the kitchen to see that I wasn't trying to mince a bone, I wasn't. The cause of the grunting was the
skin of the pig depite the fact that I had cut it quite small. I also had to keep stripping the mincer to clear the cutter of skin it couldn't handle and which blocked the 5mm screen.

We have the sausage stuffer. It is a 2 man operation to make sausages.
This I quite like 'cos in the past we have had a laugh doing it, but the effort involved, and the fact that again the skin starts to clog it and makes the push effort so great, that there is only muggins that will work at the feed end of the operation.

I am so dissapoited with it as a tool that if I had not bought it as a wanted gift for the love of my life, that I would certainly have binned it, or sold it to some person(pudding Smile on ebay

Why do they seen to last forever? Well possibly for the same reason that sandwich toasters don't get worn out.

In closing this moan about kenwoods, I will confess to having 2. The second was one that was thrown out by a customer and I converted it to tumble clean my rifle brass. No complaints there Smile
pink bouncy

Mine is an older model A701a and I've had no problems with it whatsoever, as long as I keep the mincing plates sharp it grinds just fine.
I do the sausagemaking alone. He does the pig cutting with the saws and the sharp, manly knives and I do...well, everything else. Rolling Eyes
dougal

footprints wrote:
The machine is a Chef classic, and it was a complete waste of money. My wife defends it saying that i expect too much.
How has it failed to live up tp my expectations?
You get a dough hook with the kit, but the machine cannot handle a standard bag of flour (3lb)

There are *so* many different Chefs, but "Classic" seems to be the marketing designation of the current cheapie.
I have inherited a KM210 - which has a mere 550w motor (and I presume a gearbox to match).
I wouldn't dream of expecting it to cope with 1.5kg of flour at a time.
My basic loaf uses about 500g of flour...
I actually think the bowl would be a bit small for 1.5kg of flour as a dough. (The idea of the hook is to chase the dough around, not to stir it.)
The Major with its 50% bigger bowl might however cope.
The reason I mentioned the 550w motor is that current specimens range from 750 to 1000w in the Chef, and 800 to 1200w on the Major.
I think you may be expecting too much of the most basic model.

footprints wrote:
... shoulder which I minced with the kenwood for sausage. The kenwood grunted and groaned and made plastic gear stripping sounds which bought my wife into the kitchen to see that I wasn't trying to mince a bone, I wasn't. The cause of the grunting was the skin of the pig depite the fact that I had cut it quite small. I also had to keep stripping the mincer to clear the cutter of skin it couldn't handle and which blocked the 5mm screen.
I thought avoiding minced skin and gristle was one good reason for home sausagemaking!
Also - it is possible to assemble the mincer with the cross-shaped cutter the wrong way round, when it will clog quite easily. The flat (blade) side has to be against the screen. Could that have been the problem?

footprints wrote:
We have the sausage stuffer. It is a 2 man operation to make sausages.
This I quite like 'cos in the past we have had a laugh doing it, but the effort involved, and the fact that again the skin starts to clog it and makes the push effort so great, that there is only muggins that will work at the feed end of the operation.
Do you not have the 'open' screen that goes with the sausage horns? If you are trying to re-mince (especially with the cutter reversed) and stuff simultaneously, then it will be harder, (and the meat will heat and grey somewhat).

footprints wrote:
Why do they seen to last forever? Well possibly for the same reason that sandwich toasters don't get worn out.

Well, I'm beginning to understand why they don't all last forever... Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home