Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Tania

Saving Money and Freebies

Someone mentioned on another thread saving money ideas but probably a bit old to add to.

I am moving down to Dorset in a few months permantly and for the first year not sure how much I will earn - starting a B&B and raising a few animals so have been saving like mad to at least cover the first year - so every freebie or money saving tip is welcome - here are a few I have signed up to

If you want to save money sign up to some of these sites:

http://www.magicfreebiesuk.co.uk/
www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Free Samples:
http://twinings.co.uk/teas?tab=free-samples#free-samples
http://www.cafedirect.co.uk/smallstory/#

Earning money

http://www.valuedopinions.co.uk/

Also log onto your water company and they should have a freebie area where you can get free things to help save water - anyone living in the Thames Water area - it is well worth doing as they seem to give a fair bit away. Laughing

I love seeds and to help pay for them I grow a few extra and either sell them on at Bootsales or outside the house - worth bringing them in at night as have had a few go mising in the past! Sad

Now please add yours!
More money needs to be saved
Nick

Anything you buy online, buy through Quidco. They take the first 5, after that, it's all yours. I get no spam, no grief, no hassle, and a monthly cheque for up to 100, FOC. Only a good idea if you're going to buy these things already. I book all my hotels and flights for work through them.
Katieowl

Hi Tania...another B&B'er here. Business has been very quiet this year, so we need to do lots of money saving!

One thing I would say is to sign up to any trade suppliers near you, Bookers etc. because from time to time you get a great bargain, but do not assume them to be the cheapest (hardly ever cheaper than the supermarket) except for Loo Paper and the occasional huge washing powder for a tenner. We've benefited more personally from my cards, as we've discovered that both our local(ish) trade suppliers have a reduced section, so being able to eat a bit more cheaply is a result!!! We are currently working our way through a massive salami that had 'hit' it's date.

Moneysaving expert is a great resource. Do you ever wander over to the Old Style forum?

Kate
toggle

approved foods?
Katieowl

Oh YES Approved Foods. They are brill.

Kate
Tania

Hi Tania...another B&B'er here. Business has been very quiet this year, so we need to do lots of money saving!

One thing I would say is to sign up to any trade suppliers near you, Bookers etc. because from time to time you get a great bargain, but do not assume them to be the cheapest (hardly ever cheaper than the supermarket) except for Loo Paper and the occasional huge washing powder for a tenner. We've benefited more personally from my cards, as we've discovered that both our local(ish) trade suppliers have a reduced section, so being able to eat a bit more cheaply is a result!!! We are currently working our way through a massive salami that had 'hit' it's date.

Moneysaving expert is a great resource. Do you ever wander over to the Old Style forum?

Kate

Hello Kate!

I am only just setting up the B&B still partly living in London - full time next March when hopefully completely set up!
Any tips will be gratefully recieved and especially any tricks of the trade.

What kind of trade suppliers do you use - would be great to sign up to any that may give some discount - as the saying goes - every little helps!
Am hoping to have pigs next year so that should help cut out buying sausages / bacon for the end of the year.

Last projects for me is a cheap wood burner and kitchen - so if any one has any tips - please add them in or email!
And need to buy a large freeze so I can buy up anything on offer and freeze them
toggle

Oh YES Approved Foods. They are brill.

Kate

i' ve been told about a few other places that are similar, but approved foods are the only one i've tried.

wholesalers for bulk orders on other things can be good as well. when i run out of some of the beans and stuff i have atm, I've found a wholefood wholesaler in truro that i can get to easily.
dpack

get repairable rather than disposable with a lot of things is good
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home