Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Sally Too

Scruffy Ponies- Featured on the MakeME blog (I'm so chuffed)

So you may have seen pictures of the Scruffy Ponies I have been making.

Today I made another and photographed each stage and put it up on my new blog. I have been making these to sell to raise funds for the charity Invest in ME as I have been unwell recently and ME seems to be a likely diagnosis - although not confirmed yet.

Hope you like the blog post tutorial:

http://sallysewssometing.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/scruffy-ponies-picture-tutorial.html

Went

They look great - I would think they sell well.
sally_in_wales

These look fabulous Very Happy

Do you market them as 'ornamental only' or have you managed to get to grips with the regulations to let you sell them as toys? I can imagine these would be very popular with kids. I keep cooking up ideas for toys but talking myself out of them as the regs seem a bit boggling. Would be really interested to hear from someone who has worked out how to handle them properly
Sally Too

I read it all quite carefully. And items donated to charity stalls do not need a CE mark. I included the following wording and hope that this will be acceptable:

Each Scruffy Pony has been made from material that is slow to burn.
My children and nieces have play-tested the prototypes.
The mane and tail are firmly secured but I believe constitute a “small part” therefore these toys are not suitable for children under 3 years of age.
The stuffing used is fire-retardant.
The plastic bag is not part of the toy and presents a suffocation risk.
CE mark not required as this toy has been made for occasional donation to a charity stall.
Please keep a record of this information

I actually created a little booklet which includes details of the back story behind the ponies creation, and also details of the charity that their sale is supporting.

At the end I include my name and address and email number - I'm going for upfront and transparent....
sally_in_wales

Thats really interesting, I didn't know there was an exemption for charity toys. Sounds like you've got it well covered Very Happy One of these days I must sit down and work through the selling regs, I got utterly boggled last time I had a go at reading them
Sally Too

I'm so flattered. Jon the young man who does the craft stalls in aid of Invest in ME has been writing a bit about each of the crafters who supply the goodies for his stalls. And this time my ponies are featured:

http://blog.makemecrafts.com/2012/10/our-stall-superstars-take-3.html

.... Just couldn't resist sharing! Jon has a real way with words.....
nora

Well done Very Happy
It is a great write up but you deserve it as your blog post tutorial is really good and easy to follow and those little pony's are so lovely.
arvo

Those are *fab* Sally.
snowball

Well done Sally, they realy are lovely creations.
Very best of luck with them.
Sally Too

Thank you all. Cool

Do feel free to share or use the tutorial as you like.

I'm thinking of also making up sewing kits with ready cut out pieces and instructions. My mum thought these would make good Christmas presents too....
mochyn

They're lovely.
frewen

I'm not showing them to my girls - they'll only nag me to make them Wink

They are gorgeous Smile
Nicky cigreen

well done, that's a nice write up.
gemini

scruffy ponies

Hi

They are absolutely fab, I wish I could make things, my attempts at crochet, and yet when I was younger, made loads of things, as I have got older, have got very clumsy.

I am sorry to hear about your health problems, but before I was diagnosed with M.S, they thought I had lupus, remembering my school days, Lupus in latin is wolf, so thought I might become a were wolf, so dont't worry about what they might think you have, these sort of diagnosis, usually mean they havnt got a clue, and they find one that may or may not fit the bill, but its hard on us, so just hang on in there gemini
Sally Too

Thanks Gemini....

I still have no diagnosis, as Drs are reluctant to state ME/CFS, because it means they stop looking for other causes...... so I'm not too worried yet.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home