Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
sgt.colon

Sea fishing lures

Please can someone advise me on the best type of lures to buy for a bit of sea fishing? I'm quite happy to be catching anything from the sea. I'll be casting from the beach/rocks and spinning.

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks. Smile
Treacodactyl

I'd be interested to hear as well. What little success I've had has mainly come from a strip of fish rather than a lure but a good lure would be good for a spur of the moment trip.
sean

One of these?
sgt.colon

Laughing Sean.

I'll ask the Mrs, see if she minds going for a swim. Very Happy
earthmamma

Asked the old man his reply, 'plugs for bass and pollock, spoons for pollock and mackeral, bass and whatever.' Hope this helps! Rolling Eyes
SmattyB

Toby blue is my fave all-rounder, will catch gar, mackerel, pollock, bass and last summer I caught a cod from the beach on one!
Bodger

Feathers will catch you bass, mackerel and pollock etc. You have five or six hooked feathers with a casting weight on the bottom of the string.
Northern Boy

Feathers will catch you bass, mackerel and pollock etc. You have five or six hooked feathers with a casting weight on the bottom of the string.

This. Most things will hit feathers, especially if you tip them with a bit of rag/lugworm.

Tobys are good for bass and you can get some distance on them from shore.
Treacodactyl

Are the simple plain white feathers best, or just as good as, the other multi-coloured/foil coated/bead enhanced/fake-prawn-attached feathers?
sgt.colon

Someone else has told me, Toby's as well, Smatty. Smile

So feathers, will they be ok on a spinning rod, reeling them in? Smile
Northern Boy

Are the simple plain white feathers best, or just as good as, the other multi-coloured/foil coated/bead enhanced/fake-prawn-attached feathers?

Off the kayak I often start with two (different) strings of 'feathers' until I've got dinner sorted. I often find that one gets hit all the time and one hardly at all, but there's not much of a pattern (at least that I can work out). Same thing happens when I go on the two hour mackerel trips with tourist friends out of Tenby etc.

I generally don't go wrong with the ones which look like glorified foil on a hook, or with plain old feathers. Best to go fishing with a chum or two and all use different tactics til you can work out what's working on the day.
Northern Boy

So feathers, will they be ok on a spinning rod, reeling them in? Smile

Yes, tho when chucking off the rocks I generally use the shorter strings to prevent snags.

If you're in shallowish bassy/garfish territory you can even use one of the really heavy tobys instead of a lead weight.
sgt.colon

Thanks NB.

When you say two different strings do you a bit like in fly fishing where you have one on point and a dropper?
Northern Boy

No, not that complicated - I fish two rods off the kayak! ralphman

i watched the dick strawbridge programme 'something something sailors, yesterday 4pm and they had a fishing guide on the proframme fishing in shallowish water near the harbour arm in brighton, he was fishing for bass using mussels(readily available for free on rocks & groins) hope that helps
sam
sgt.colon

Cheers for all the replies peeps. I'll be investing in some feathers and Toby's. Smile

Edit:- NB would something like this be ok?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-5-Hook-Hokki-Sea-Fishing-Rigs-Bass-Cod-Mackerel-/270770479611?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item3f0b2da1fb

Thanks.
Northern Boy

Cheers for all the replies peeps. I'll be investing in some feathers and Toby's. Smile

Edit:- NB would something like this be ok?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-5-Hook-Hokki-Sea-Fishing-Rigs-Bass-Cod-Mackerel-/270770479611?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item3f0b2da1fb

Thanks.

Yep, I've got loads of those!
sgt.colon

thanks NB. thumbright sgt.colon

OK we'll be indulging in some sea fishing next week. Do you need a rod licence to sea fish?

Thanks. Smile
Nick

Pretty sure not. Never heard of one. sgt.colon

Thanks Nick. I've got one for my trout fishing and the youngest is under 12, so he don't need one. I was just thinking about the lazy sod that resides with us. Smile sean

That's no way to speak about Mrs Colon. Shocked 12Bore

OK we'll be indulging in some sea fishing next week. Do you need a rod licence to sea fish?

Thanks. Smile
No, so long as you stay below the high water mark, you do need a licence for migratory fish, such as sea trout, so tell your bait not to attract any Wink
sgt.colon

Well I took the boys fishing, we caught nothing but they seemed to enjoy it. Cool

I think the highligh had to be, standing on a sand bank and getting surrounded by the water as I was setting us all up. Thank heavens Mrs C walked by and told us. Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home