Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
RichardW

Sea fishing nets, long lines & pots / creels

Spured on by our recent gift of some spider crabs I am again looking at getting some sea fishing nets.

Need info on legal mesh sizes & lengths for pleasure boat fishing. One advert seems to imply that 60m is the max lenght. Will prob be using them as bottom nets & floating / submerged nets by changing the weights / rigging. Or poss get a 100m one & cut into two & have one of each. Any advice?

Justme
crofter

No idea about the legality of them, but they will catch everything that swims, including birds, otters maybe even seals. They will also drive you insane taking out crabs and sorting out the tangles. I would advise you to use pots for shellfish and longline/rods for fish.
happytechie

spider crabs will make a real mess of your net and will take ages to extract. We put my dad's tramall net out last year in what used to be a great spot for bass and all we caught were about 20 - 30 BIG spider crabs. It took us hours to get them all out of the net and then ages more fixing the net. They did taste good though. A string of pots will be much easier if you want to catch spider or red crabs.
RichardW

Not specificaly after the crabs would prefere fish. Have ordered a net but also set up a long line (put it in the water today so will see in the morning if its worked). Planning on doing the long line most days this week as the tides match my avaliability each day.

Justme
Jonnyboy

How did you bait and set the long line?
Cathryn

and where and when and for how long? Smile There are some isolated bits of beach very near me, they wouldn't be in anyone's way.
RichardW

Jonnyboy wrote:
How did you bait and set the long line?

Use fake baits mainly plus some old mackerel out the freezer. Sank one end with a large weight then moved the boat whilst letting the line out, stopped & fixed another weight to the line & chucked that over with the line continuing on to a large marker bouy. Both ends are weighted down but the line is a floating type so the line should be in a nice arc under the water.

Cathryn wrote:
and where and when and for how long? Smile There are some isolated bits of beach very near me, they wouldn't be in anyone's way.

Just off Nefyn beach about 1/2 mile out (kept away from all the marker bouys already set), set it about 7pm & will be checking it at about 8.30am sunday so only 13 hours ish, but then will be checking it each morning tide for the week so a full 24 hours. You can set them at low tide with no boat by wading out (wellies, waders, or paddle). If you can best near a feature like rocks. Once the net arrives will set that to in a different position.

Hope I catch some thing now I have told you all.

Justme
Cathryn

Yep, nice shallow, rocky, empty beach. I might have go. Smile Thank you.
RichardW

Just make sure its well marked incase some one does come along.

Justme
Jonnyboy

Where did you get it?
RichardW

Jonnyboy wrote:
Where did you get it?

Made it. Had some 5mm rope left on a big reel I bought ages ago. Spliced a loop each end & then tied drop loops at 6 foot intervals (but dont see myself setting each loop every time). Bought hooks & jellied baits plus some 3 / 4 bait rigs that I cut up & fitted clip links or just tied a loop so that they can be fitted to each drop link. Used an old cast manifold for the weight one end & an off cut of some I beam for the other. With 25L ex dairy cleanser barrels for a bouy's.

You can get them of eBay cheaply too.

Justme
RichardW

The justme family will go hungry today as the hunter gatherer failed to hunt or gather anything. Sad

Better luck tommorow I hope.

Justme
Cathryn

Smile How honest.

Poor little starvelings. Laughing

Maybe you will discover it's not in the right place?
RichardW

Cathryn wrote:
Smile How honest.

Poor little starvelings. Laughing

Maybe you will discover it's not in the right place?

Yeh prob. The places I wanted to be near rocks were already taken by a marker bouy. Also only actualy got about 1/4 of the line in as I was feeling a bit yucky (not found my sea legs yet). I thin k the problem is trying to bait up in the bottom of the boat, I can feel the movemnet but not see it. Felt ok when looking out of the boat. Have got the rest of the line in the yard hanging up so I can attach the snoods (thats the hook & a lenght of line) to the long line. Will attach it to the rest tommorow as I dont want to go out on the high tide tonight. Might also try to move it to a better spot too.

Yesterday the water was not to bad but this morning was very choppy. But felt much better today but dint have to spend any time in the bottom of the boat sorting out the rigs. I guess I will get used to it in the end (or keep making my own ground bait puke_r ).

Justme
happytechie

I think that most of the long lines I've seen have been set about 10 feet from the bottom. They used to long line for dogfish from holyhead and ship all the fish to france. I'm fairly sure they'd bait all of the hooks though, mackerel flappers or just hunks of fish
RichardW

Yeh baited is better, just need to catch some first to use as bait lol.

The method I have used should give me an arc from one weight to the other with the baits at 2 to 15 foot & back. Each type of bait is spread out for best effect.

Justme
Jonnyboy

limpets?
Cathryn

I find they are impossible to keep on the hook.
RichardW

Went & pulled the short long line out last night as I got some local knowledge that sugested I was in a terible spot. Would not have caught anything anyway as it was baddly tangled, must have caught on the side of the boat as I put it out. Move position & tried to put the long long line out but the qeezyness over took me again so nothing was left out last night. Went out again this morning but just motored around. I felt ok but it was quite choppy so I dint even try to put the line out.

This free food from the sea is starting to get costly lol. Will keep on trying. Need more time to gain my sea legs so will keep going for a spin round the bay till I get better or die (well it feels like I would rather die than puke some more) trying.

Any sea legs tips? I seem ok till I have to look at some thing in the boat.

Justme
VSS

same here - if you look at the horizon the nausea passes, but baiting a long line is one of the worst things as it takes such a long time.

i'm usually ok if the boat is moving, but all that wallowing around at anchor just does it for me puke
crofter

Coil the line into a box/basket and bait the hooks ashore. Be careful as you coil it up because it has to be shot without tangling (easier said than done, I know) But that means you can only have the line set every other day, unless you make up 2 lines....
RichardW

Have been trying afew methods

1, Coiled round a cable drum with the hooks going to the hole in the middle
2, hooks set on the edge of the boat with the line looped on the deck
3, line on the reel & hooks on a sepperate bit of wood

It still comes down to as soon as I look down to see what I am doing I feel queesey. Luckily not actualy been sick yet but give it time. Was out for about 1 1/2 hours this morning & felt ok but whilst in town at lunch & even now still I feel as if I am still at sea.

I guess I just got to keep at it.

Justme
vegplot

Justme wrote:
Have been trying afew methods

1, Coiled round a cable drum with the hooks going to the hole in the middle
2, hooks set on the edge of the boat with the line looped on the deck
3, line on the reel & hooks on a sepperate bit of wood

It still comes down to as soon as I look down to see what I am doing I feel queesey. Luckily not actualy been sick yet but give it time. Was out for about 1 1/2 hours this morning & felt ok but whilst in town at lunch & even now still I feel as if I am still at sea.

I guess I just got to keep at it.

Justme

If you want a hand anytime just give us a shout. I have a boat (a small dory) which I intend to take out for a bit of fishing around Anglesey and could do with some more famalirisation.

I know what you mean about sealegs. not so good myslef so I always take some ginger with me, if find it helps - sometimes. I'm okay if I can keep glancing at the horizon but it's not easy.
RichardW

Come along any time you like. Been out every day since Friday twice some days. Planning on going out most mornings this week but Friday. Not checked tides for the weekend yet. Let me know when you are free & I can check the tides.

Justme
earthyvirgo

Crystalised ginger, ginger biccies don't have the same effect.

EV
RichardW

earthyvirgo wrote:

EV

Thats cool I love crystalised ginger.

Er is that the in syrup or the dried type?

Justme
vegplot

Justme wrote:
earthyvirgo wrote:

EV

Justme

I've find either is effective, for me at least. I'll bring some with me.
earthyvirgo

Justme wrote:

Justme

Dried far more manageable on a boat!
Imagine the concentration needed to get a jar of the stuff open, and it'd be slopping everywhere Smile
Enough to make you sick before you had a chance to munch it.

EV
RichardW

A few pics to brighten up this thread

View into harbour from the harbour wall

Justme
Cathryn

It's a great thread despite all the vomit. Smile Is it the engine in the boat? I've never had a problem sailing or rowing for that matter but do feel a bit bleurgh if the boat has a usually smelly engine. This doesn't help though does it. Unless you row out and back again. Smile
RichardW

As you can see in the pics the engine hangs over the back. You can only smell it when starting it, once your moving its smell free in the boat. No vomit yet but would have been had I not stopped working when I did. I,m fine when actualy moving even in quite choppy waves. But as soon as I try to sort kits out I go queezy.

Been trying to find out when the slack time is as I thought it was just before to just after high & low tide. At high tide its still choppy.

Justme
Treacodactyl

Justme wrote:
No vomit yet but would have been had I not stopped working when I did.

Don't worry, if you are ill just call it ground bait and get on with setting the line. Wink
vegplot

I had a 30HP two stroke on my dory but bougt a small 8hp four stroke primarliy to get around the need for hefty insurance on boats of 10hp or more and also to not have two stroke fumes floating around.

I've not taken it out yet. Sad
Jonnyboy

I've never had a problem with two stroke fumes. Never even noticed any smell TBH
vegplot

Jonnyboy wrote:
I've never had a problem with two stroke fumes. Never even noticed any smell TBH

You're very lucky. One whiff and I'm green.
RichardW

Joke

A guy goes to a travel agent and books a two-week cruise for himself and his girlfriend. A couple of days before the cruise, the travel agent phones and says the cruise has been canceled, but he can get them on a three-day cruise instead. The guy agrees and goes to the chemist to buy three Dramamine and three condoms.

Next day, the agent calls back and says he now can book a five-day cruise. The guy says he'll take it and returns to the same pharmacy and buys two more Dramamine and two more condoms.

The following day, the travel agent calls again and says he can now book an eight-day cruise. The guy agrees and goes back to the chemist and asks for three more Dramamine and three more condoms.

Finally, the pharmacist asks, "Look, if it makes you sick, why do you keep doing it?"
RichardW

thought I would try thr crystalised ginger today so on my way to the boat I went to the shops. PArked up as usual on the clif tops to walk down & the sea was so flat it was unreal. Waded out knee deep to the boat & spent about 30 mins sorting out the long line so it would set easily. Punted out of the harbour due to all the floating mooring lines. Started up & motored out past the external harbour & the perminatly set pots & other markers. Choose my spot, droped anchor, and.....

set the long line & dint feel queezey at all but then it was fairly flat still so was it the sea condition or was it the ginger? Time will tell. Went for a motor round as I am still getting used to the boat & how it handles. Moored her back up sat enjoying the morning on the beach. Short walk back up the clif to the top (were there is a seat) sat & watched the sea for a bit took the photos below & back to the car.

Justme
vegplot

Ginger doesn't actually do anything biological or even psyocological. It flattens seas and calms the wind Smile

Lovely photo's BTW.
RichardW

Dint get to go out yesterday due to the weather.

Managed to go out today but blanked again (well not strickly true as there were 3 tiny shrimps in the weed on the line). Out of the 50 hooks on the line we lost 4 traces completly & 3 straightened hooks plus one snapped hook. I guess we were a bit to close to the rocks. Was fairly choppy today but felt ok. The line is not in now as we cant get out Friday (viewings) & poss over the weekend too. With luck the net will be here by then so we can blank in a different way Very Happy
Will have to try actual fishing too one of these days.

Justme
Jonnyboy

You should be grabbing some mackerel whilst you are out.

BTW, how do you get the ginger to stay on the hooks?
RichardW

Its arrived

Well the net has arrived. To be honest I am a little disapointed in it. I guess the old saying (buy cheap buy twice or you get what you pay for) is correct. The net seems to be made from very thin mono & the top & bottom lines also seem very poor. At least it will allow me to try it out with out having spent a fortune. Have also now found a supplier of better quality gear at reasonable prices so when it need replacing I know where I will be spending my money. Weather sucks today so wont be getting the net wet today. Also did think that now its getting to holiday season keeping the lines & nets out of the water over the weekend might be a good idea anyway to stop it getting wrecked by the boats & other water craft.

RichardW
RichardW

I have just filled in my application for a licence to set pots for crabs & lobsters. Just need to find a cheap supply of pots now. Have asked on free cycle but not holding my breath lol. Only allowed to set 5 pots as a non commercial fisher. Very small daily allowances too.

RichardW
IanNW

5 lobster a day without a commercial licence, Female lobsters with eggs to be returned to sea for obvious reasons.
I usually take a grab net when i go scuba diving on the Coast. Drives the pot fishermen mad. Spider crab hurt as well if you don't pick them up properly, i was glad to be wearing kevlar gloves at the time.

Try some lures for fresh mackeral to use as bait on your long line.

Sea Bass will be coming into season before too long as well.
Best place to fish for Cod and Whiting from October to January in your area is the Pier in Bangor on the Menai Straits.

Used to spend many a winter nights fishing off that pier largest Codling i ever caught was there 8lbs in weight.

Well my next fishing expo will be down in Cornwall on boat for some Sea Bass in late July/Early August.

If i can get the chance and time could bring some Sea rods and gear over for you to play with in middle of July.
RichardW

Nope local rules are

Quote:

BYELAW 30

FISHING FOR LOBSTER, CRAWFISH, CRAB PRAWN AND WHELK

1. No person shall take or land from any fishery within the District more than the specified amount of the species listed below in a calendar day, except in accordance with paragraph 5. All such fish must be landed on the same calendar day on which they were caught and may not be stored in any keep pot or similar device at sea.

Species Maximum Daily Quantity
Lobster (Homarus gammarus) 2 individuals
Crawfish ( Palinurus elephas) 1 individual
Edible crabs (Cancer pagurus), Spider crabs (Maia squinado), Velvet crabs (Liocarcinus puber) Combined total of 5 individuals
Prawns (Pandalidae and Palaemonidae) 1 kilogram
Whelks (Buccinum undatum) 5 kilograms

Each fishery area has its own rules. Here you cant even set one pot without a licence.

Quote:

2. No person, except in accordance with paragraph 5, shall fish in any part of the District, using pots or traps, except under a permit issued by the Committee.

para 5 covers commercial fishermen.

RichardW
RichardW

Went out early evening last night to set the net on the beach. Could not sleep at all so was back out at 3.30am watching the tide go out. By 6am I was chest deep in the water as I was fed up of waiting for low water (7am). Dragged the net (well it was a net when it went in) in & had caught 5 dogs, 2 plaice & half of some thing? The plaice were still alive & small so they went back into the sea for another time. The dogs were all a good size so a good tap or two on the head & in the box. Skined guted & de headed the dogs & we had some cut up in small strips like gougeons but fried in seasoned flour not bread crumbs for lunch. Taste lovely, slightly lemony. Will def do more of them. Will post pic later head still not coping with no sleep.

Net looks like a write off. Its so baddly & tangled torn I doubt its worth sorting out. Bugger first time out & blown 50 worth of net.

RichardW
Jonnyboy

Half a fish and net damage could have been down to a seal.

Could you just start making up some successful stories so we don't get depressed?
RichardW

Nah dont think its a seal (but they are in the area) the damaged fish was not baddly chomped & the net was rolled up / riped away from the end ropes.

Better people know the realities of doing for themselves with no experiance paying maximum "fools tax" along the way.
Just like smallholding realy.

Things can only get better if they start badly.

Had more dog for tea with a lemon butter sauce yum yum.
(wonder if that will come up on a search for eating canines? lol)

RichardW
crofter

Even though the net is ripped, it will still fish if you can sort out the tangles. If you have more patience than I do you can repair it again and again - or at least until it pays for itself!
RichardW

Well i am now a fully licenced Lobster, crab, prawn & whelk potter.

Licenced just arrived in the post.

All I need now is some pots Shocked Shocked

RichardW
Jonnyboy

Whelk pots you can make yourself.

Considering it's home consumption, a couple of parlour pots should be sufficient for crab and lobster.
RichardW

Jonnyboy wrote:
Whelk pots you can make yourself.

Considering it's home consumption, a couple of parlour pots should be sufficient for crab and lobster.

Yeh I have seen the local ones on the harbour wall. 25L plastic barrels with holes in & a weight. Been keeping my eye out for some parlour type pots but to be honest any that come along at the right price will do. Most are either new (and cosltly with the delivery) or so baddly damaged they are only good for decoration in garden themes.

RichardW
IanNW

you thought of trying to fashion some yourself, it would appear you are handy at that king of thing from previous posts on the forum. Some metal grills and the damaged net you have to try with?
RichardW

IanNW wrote:
you thought of trying to fashion some yourself, it would appear you are handy at that king of thing from previous posts on the forum. Some metal grills and the damaged net you have to try with?

Yeh have considered it. The net I have is to far far weak to hold a crab. If some of the right sort of net comes along I prob will. Was thinking along the lines of a wooden base with blue water pipe for the frame & strong netting.

RichardW
IanNW

Have a look on Ebay, there is some similiar to the ones you described.

Wooden base with Blue plastic piping and 50mm netting attached.
RichardW

IanNW wrote:
Have a look on Ebay, there is some similiar to the ones you described.

Wooden base with Blue plastic piping and 50mm netting attached.

Thats where I got the idea lol.

RichardW
fisheagle

RichardW wrote:
IanNW wrote:

Yeh have considered it. The net I have is to far far weak to hold a crab. If some of the right sort of net comes along I prob will. Was thinking along the lines of a wooden base with blue water pipe for the frame & strong netting.

RichardW

If ye can't make or mend then don't use it! Seems your like the bicycle owner who wants to try formula 1, looks good but you haven't much of a clue. Walk before you can run should be your watchword! Get a couple of years in using a handline, drink in the local fishermans pub and become friends with them..............they just might help if you can convince them your not trying to steal their livlihood which it seems to me you are!

And your cheap monofilament net will keep on fishing and killing things long after you've lost it! And lose it you will, sooner or later
RichardW

fisheagle wrote:
they just might help if you can convince them your not trying to steal their livlihood which it seems to me you are!

And your cheap monofilament net will keep on fishing and killing things long after you've lost it! And lose it you will, sooner or later

How? I dont catch that much (I wish) & def dont sell any.

Also the nets long gone but not at sea. Twas rubbish so its been destroyed.

Richard
fisheagle

In the first instance try talking to them.........go to the pub they use and get into conversation (like anybody else they'll talk to people) get to know them, don't rush, tell 'em you have a boat and ask for a few tips, how to look after it or something - you may be the boating worlds answer to Gordon Brown and know everything there is to know about boats - but unlike Gordon you don't have to brag about it, just quietly ask, and agree................then follow the lead

Glad to hear you've got rid of the momofilament properly, nasty things monofilament. Too damn comprehensive!!
RichardW

fisheagle wrote:
In the first instance try talking to them.........go to the pub they use and get into conversation (like anybody else they'll talk to people) get to know them, don't rush, tell 'em you have a boat and ask for a few tips, how to look after it or something - you may be the boating worlds answer to Gordon Brown and know everything there is to know about boats - but unlike Gordon you don't have to brag about it, just quietly ask, and agree................then follow the lead

Glad to hear you've got rid of the momofilament properly, nasty things monofilament. Too damn comprehensive!!

but what has that got to do with me pinching their trade?

Richard
fisheagle

You're going after the same fish ain't ye? that in their eyes is tatramount to pinching their trade - you're not buying from them either are ye? that be if'n you are sucessful! Once upon a time it was no bother there was plwenty of fish in the sea........these days fish is a rare thing.

Oh by the way when ye get round to making yer own pots remember a plastic bucket with the bottom punched (cut) out of it makes a fine spout, if its a reasonable distance off the bottom the crab / partan won't get out of it - too stupid!! Mind you if you pick up regular by the time it's rested after eating the bait its in your pot, or on your plate!

Have you tried making your own nets, the amount to fill in a panel of a pot isn't all that big! There's a few books out there on netting shouldn't be to hard to find one! If not how familiar are you with the names of knots and the like? might have a go at teaching you at a distance.....could be interesting, if your willing to have a go that is!
carlseawolf

Hi Richard,
I'm new to this forum and just read this post and i may be able to clear up some of these questions as i was a fisherman for 18 years.

1 - There is special sized mono netting for spider crabs that has a mesh of between 8"- 10" that only catches crab and any larger fish like ray.

2 - fishermen are a funny bunch , all will be friendly towards you and 99% will be honest but like any trade there are bad ones.

3 - don't go buying the same gear as the locals as next time you go to pull your shiny new pots they may not be there ( try finding ten pots out of there big stack on the quay.

4 - I take it your licence is a local sea district licence with there powers extending to 6 miles , these can often be diffrent to the common fisheries policy rules out side of the 6 mile limit.
Check to see the diffrence and where the limits are as an island can extend the limit.

5 - the creels you are mentioning on e-bay sound like prawn creels and would be eligal to use for crab as the mesh is to small.
When you first set your pots leave them a least a day to soak because all the air in the wood or plastic will come making a loud scream and the crab will just stay clear of the pot what every bait you put in it.

6 - fresh bait for lobster , smelly bait for crab.

7 - You don't need to find out where the fisheren are catching crab as you are doing it on a diffrent scale and they have pots on strings up to 100 so need the sea room to set them.
Smaller areas around rocks will produce crabs/ lobsters and even the possibility of a monster , and makes it harder for the commercial guys to move into your patch.

8 - setting lines or nets on the beach at low tide can be a good income in winter when boat journeys are not possible - but check local bye laws as beach netting is illigal in cornwall.
crofter

carlseawolf wrote:

6 - fresh bait for lobster , smelly bait for crab.

I would suggest the opposite way round?
bakersbread

Helllo RichardW
Re your message, as an ex fisherman can i give you a small bit of advice re mid water,bottom (tangle nets) if for any reason you cant get to your nets they will carry on fishing and any fish will rot and the net will lift and carry on fishing.I have hauled in nets full of dead crabs,fish etc and they were stinking.They are fine if you shoot your nets and lines and recover in 2/3 hours.Also in a fast tide it is suprising how far they can drift.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home