Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Bodger

Seals on the Lleyn

I took the mutt for a walk on the Cliffs this morning, just down the peninsular a little from the village of Edern and saw around eight of these creatures. They were almost as interested in me as I was in them.

dpack

ace critters ,they were as interested in you as tother way .

i have been followed miles along a very remote coast by a seal that couldn't believe what a curious critter it could see , i hand fed fish to another a few times in cornwall and was lucky enough to share a beach and several swims with "bob"a lost sealion for 3 weeks .i tend to think of them as rather damp dogs Laughing
VM

Thanks for pics. Yes, they are quite doggy, aren't they?
Hairyloon

I had my wrong head on: when I read the title, I wondered where it was leaking. Confused
Jamanda

Nice photos as always.
Andrea

Love the damp dogs description. I'd love to be close enough to properly see one.
Mistress Rose

We saw one off the Isle of Wight once. Thought it was a dog at first as they are, as you say, very dog looking about the head. It seemed to be watching the people passing by on the sea wall walk. The only time I ever saw a lot was in Scotland out near Burnt Island, near the golf course. I expect they comment upon the awful shots by some of the golfers. Laughing
dpack

iirc the uk has about 40% of the world population of grey seals (most of the eu pop) and lots of common seals(they are not very common)

common look a bit labrador and grey look a bit greyhound in head shape .

they can be quite manipulative if they think you have fish Laughing
Hairyloon

I saw a chap catch a seal with a fishing rod off Peel pier once.
I say "catch", but obviously he didn't land it and it looked to me very much like the seal was playing him. Very Happy
Bodger

There's a spot on the end of the peninsular near Aberdaron and at the right time of the year, its absolutely great for mackerel fishing but it has its draw backs. Not only is it a hell of a climb down there and back to a humungus slab of rock but it also has a couple of attendant seals that regularly grab the fish off your hook. Its almost like having to pay a toll, as in one for you and one for me and it was always a race against time to get your fish in. when they grab it, its feels as though your arms are going to pulled out of their sockets.
dpack

cribba head fishing is very like that ,if one pays one's tax personally the cribba ones seemed to be ok with letting us land fish and keep most Laughing

something i noticed was the seals preferred pollack to mackerel and had no interest in fancy wrasse (to many spikes at a guess)

at portheras the local seals had a knack of "decrowning"a floating gull from underneath in a single bite and leaving the rest to wash up on the beach.it wasnt until i saw it happen that i could work out what was doing the neat kitchen prep.
ps that is how i know bbq gull leg is not nice to eat

i like seals
Nick

I am forced to spend time, for work, on the bleak and barren bit of industrial scuff just north of Middlesborough, which must be about the most toxic bit of land we've got in the UK. It is, however, often full of seals, and they look quite happy.

Yeah, they always make me smile. Smile

Post apocalyptic wasteland.
sean

... bbq gull leg is not nice to eat

I'd sort of assumed that. Nice to have it confirmed though.
Hairyloon

ps that is how i know bbq gull leg is not nice to eat

Apparantly the flavour can be much improved if you catch them and feed them on corn for a week or few.
Quote:
i like seals

Was that intended to in the conext of what's nice or not to eat?
RichardW

Bodger,

Have you read the paper?

Dead pups are turning up on one of the local beaches.
dpack

oh dear ,there are usually a few casualties among youngsters but many means there has been some sort of disaster iirc they share quite a few nasty diseases with dogs and humans so dont poke at the fallen

ps seal would not be on my menu unless there was nothing else and if there are seals there are fish
Bodger

Bodger,

Have you read the paper?

Dead pups are turning up on one of the local beaches.

I don't read any of the local rags but that's another story. I hadn't heard of the dead pups being washed up, its a great shame.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home