Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
mrutty

Search Engines and META tags

Does anyone know of a good guide to what search engines are using for returning searches these days?

It used to be if you put mobile 50 times in the tags you'd be number one, but I think those clever search enchine chaps addressed that issue.

Just about to submit my site to the whole world Cool
jema

http://www.marsjupiter.com/mambo/content/Resources/Search-Engine-Optimisation/

is some of what I have written on SEO it may be helpful.

jema
mrutty

Got it, reading now Smile
sean

And writing at the same time, bit flash isn't it Cool
mrutty

That's why nothing I type make sense. Oh and I'm currently on the phone to my boss Laughing
selfsufficientish

Meta Tags

I use this page http://www.pagerank.net/meta-tag-generator/

Might help you, saves me hours in writing meta tags.
jema

Sounds useful.

I am still somewhat of the opinion that "content is king" though.

The tags should be done if possible, but I think they can suck the fun out of it all a bit.

jema
selfsufficientish

agree

I agree with the 'content is king' for major search engines, I mean lets face it, what is the use of a site with no content.

However, we do seem to get a small flow(well a trickle really) of traffic from the smaller meta search engines. The description tag seems to make the most difference. Er actually, the index follow robot one did make a huge difference with google they list all our pages, more than can be said of yahoo.
jema

Re: agree

selfsufficientish wrote:
I agree with the 'content is king' for major search engines, I mean lets face it, what is the use of a site with no content.

However, we do seem to get a small flow(well a trickle really) of traffic from the smaller meta search engines. The description tag seems to make the most difference. Er actually, the index follow robot one did make a huge difference with google they list all our pages, more than can be said of yahoo.

So what are you getting a day from google?

We are getting about 9 google hits a day which ain't that great.

jema
selfsufficientish

google hits

Much of our traffic comes from google we got 20 hits just for one word a while ago. I guess we get between 30-100 google visitors a day in general.

I have just looked for your PR and it seems to be 0 this can't be right, as you update all the time and have plenty of content. This is all that we do and ours is 5. We have broken some of the 'rules' aparently too, we have over 50 links on the front page and amazon ads. Not sure how much is true and how much is "googlegend" when it comes to PR though. Oh and a front page link to a pr 5 site is also good Laughing
jema

Re: google hits

selfsufficientish wrote:
Much of our traffic comes from google we got 20 hits just for one word a while ago. I guess we get between 30-100 google visitors a day in general.

I have just looked for your PR and it seems to be 0 this can't be right, as you update all the time and have plenty of content. This is all that we do and ours is 5. We have broken some of the 'rules' aparently too, we have over 50 links on the front page and amazon ads. Not sure how much is true and how much is "googlegend" when it comes to PR though. Oh and a front page link to a pr 5 site is also good Laughing

Page rank does take time, my company site is Pr 4 and that is quite technical similar, but has been around more than the 6 weeks or so we have!

jema
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home