Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
sean

Second Hand Bikes

Are they very cheap everywhere? BW's outgrown his medium-sized bike which was about 150 quid new. I spoke to a young chap in town who deals in second hand bikes and he offered me a tenner for it. To be fair he only charged me 30 quid (so 20 quid net) for a smallish full-sized replacement.

Both bikes were aluminium framed, cantilever brakes, decent gears, rims and so forth.

I'm not concerned financially, just wondered if this was a general thing...
onemanband

20net sounds a fair deal.
I don't think theres much value in a used Halfords cheapy bike.20- 30 sounds about right 2nd hand price, for one in GWO. Not in GWO tis scrap or freecycle (pun intended)
sean

They're not Halfords cheapies though. The full size is a Marin 350-400 quid commuter bike.
Just spoke to my brother though and he ended up giving a seriously high-end touring bike to a charity shop because the second-hand value wasn't worth the hassle of selling it. *shrugs*
Hairyloon

Does it?
How the heck is a bike dealer supposed to make a living?
onemanband

Does it?
How the heck is a bike dealer supposed to make a living?

By being a bike dealer ?
Selling new bikes, servicing, accessories, selling p/x bikes.
onemanband

They're not Halfords cheapies though. The full size is a Marin 350-400 quid commuter bike.

In that case I am as suprised as you
onemanband

This could be the answer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19825764
And like all the exercise equipment sold - it is used once or twice then put in loft or sold. Hence a glut of second hand bikes ?
Behemoth

ebay seems full of bikes at higher prices. Whether they sell or not I don"t know. Lorrainelovesplants

Ive sold 2 outgrown bikes on ebay - 20 each for fairly well used but sound taller kids bikes.
They also sell well at car boots here.
Woo

it does make you wonder why they get nicked so often if the second hand market is so poor?

that said 20 will still buy some smack! Rolling Eyes

i may have a browse for one for No1 son who is outgrowing everthing we own! shame they dont make them like they used to. My 22 year old raliegh amazon is still going. bet the same cant be said for the same brand these days. the manufacturing plant used to be down the road from me in the UK, now its a slow boat ride away!
Nell Merionwen

BL has a raliegh chopper he wants to sell. It looks like ebay would be the best bet. Tavascarow

it does make you wonder why they get nicked so often if the second hand market is so poor?

i may have a browse for one for No1 son who is outgrowing everthing we own! shame they dont make them like they used to. My 22 year old raliegh amazon is still going. bet the same cant be said for the same brand these days. the manufacturing plant used to be down the road from me in the UK, now its a slow boat ride away!
Nicked & broken down into separate components will make much more than 20.00 on E-bay, & far harder to trace.
Woo

Nicked & broken down into separate components will make much more than 20.00 on E-bay, & far harder to trace.

good point!
but a very small part of me is sort of pleased your average toe rag can use set of spanners! Wink
BahamaMama

Timing is important - I sold a Halfords cheapy on eBay at Christmas for 150. I was stunned Laughing paul1963

I know you're in Devon so a fair way from here Sean, but is there something like this near to you?

http://www.recycles-swindon.co.uk/

The bikes are fully serviced and reconditioned by people the Salvation Army are helping while under the watchful eye of an experienced mechanic. Their bikes are guaranteed and the prices are good too Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home