Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
sean

Second week meter reading for the electricity challenge 2008

Put your second readings here. When Alison gets back the results will be calculated and posted.
Pilsbury

Jb

I make that a drop of 15%
jamanda

I think it may have gone up.
sally_in_wales

week one:08747
Week two:,08863 so that makes 116
Week three: 08971, which makes 108, definatley a small improvement, mostly due to finding a handful of extra things to switch off or turn down Very Happy
marigold

5047.7 this week.

So, 59.4 week 1, 54.4 week 2. I suspect the drop is mainly due to not using the washing machine last week. Though I did hoover all the carpets, which didn't happen in week 1. My gas consumption is up this week though, presumably because it's colder and I've had the heating on more.

I wish there was a way of comparing my usage to similar households.
Pilsbury

Whats your household?
I have a 3 bed terreced house with 2 adults, normal mod cons and gas centeral heating.
I have used more this week but to be honest I was off work all week as the OH had an op and since friday we are both here.
feel free to move this out of the thread for the results but I didnt know if i should start another one.
marigold

2 bed terrace, one adult, gas CH, electric cooking, few mod cons! Halogen electric fire/fan heater occasionally instead of CH.
Jb

4 bed semi, two adults, oil CH, sometimes open fire, most mod cons.

I suspect my saving is mostly due to chance. The only thing I've added to save electricity is to swap some 50W halogens for 35 or even 20W. (so the kitchen lighting is down from 400W to 225W) but that's not enough to account for the drop this week.
jamanda

Week one 29921
Week two 30023
Week three 30119

So 102 units first week and 96 the second week

Not much of an improvement really. Probably one less load of laundry.
alisjs

Helen_A

Totally mucked up - by yesterday aft. we were on course to come in 7 units under last week (inspite of doing 3 loads of washing instead of the usual 2)

And then DP, bless him, cooked tea. And used every ring on the stove full blast, forgetting that it a) eats power and b) isn't a gas stove...

On the plus side - he now agrees that this inherited (as in came with the house) hob has got to go!!

Oh - its a 3 bed midterrace number that is currently poorly insulated with leaky double glazing and dodgy wiring...

Helen_A
wishus

judith

20162-9

I'd be surprised if it has gone down as I wiped out all my good work from earlier in the week by spending most of yesterday making buckets of stock and dog dinner in the pressure cooker. Crying or Very sad
hamster

I make it a very slight reduction.
Jb

How much energy does an induction hob use / save

Inspired by the electricity challenge thread ...

Compared to a ceramic hob what sort of power saving would an induction hob offer (i.e. is it worth my buying an induction hob now or when the current hob reaches its end of life)

I note from http://www.biasco.com/pbguides/hobs.php

Quote:
Some larger induction hobs need a power supply of more than 10kw

Which doesn't really sound like an energy saving

Edit - copied this to another thread to keep this one more or less clear
sean

Would all your existing kit be suitable for use on an induction hob? If you'd have to replace loads of kitchen gear too then that would change the sums wouldn't it?
marigold

So who won?
Jb

Yes, inquiring minds want to know ... what was the result?
Jb

OK, the results

wishus -30%
Pilsbury -23%
JB -15%
Helen_A -9%
Marigold -8%
alisjs -8%
Sally_in_wales -7%
Judith -6%
Jamanda -5%
Hamster -3%

ken69 - no third reading
vegplot - no second or third reading
alison - no second or third reading

The average drop was 11%, from 66.8KWh to 59.3KWh
The highest absolute drop was Pilsbury who reduced consumption by 22KWh.
judith

What about me? Crying or Very sad
sally_in_wales

Wow, great results those at the top. So, what made the difference? Where did you manage to make such big savings?
Jb

judith wrote:
What about me? Crying or Very sad

My bad Embarassed wanders off to ritually flagellate himself in contrition at such an unforgiveable omission
Pilsbury

Embarassed a bit of a cheat from me, the wife was in hospital for 3 days so I was visiting so 3 days with less TV or computer although I havent used the dishwasher for 10 days. Embarassed
marigold

Thanks JB.
Jb

sally_in_wales wrote:
Wow, great results those at the top. So, what made the difference? Where did you manage to make such big savings?

and more to the point how does wishus manage to get by with so little electricity. The absolute figures were 33.5 KWh for week 1 and 23.6KWh for week 2, less than half the average consumption.
judith

JB wrote:
My bad Embarassed wanders off to ritually flagellate himself in contrition at such an unforgiveable omission

Thanks JB.

You managed a 15% drop yourself. What did you do that was different - and did it require much conscious effort?
Jb

Mainly swapped all the 50W halogens for 35W or 20W. That probably accounted for about 2-3 KWh saving over the week. But the bulk of the saving was probably just chance and running one less load of laundry. What I didn't do and should have was adjust the underfloor heating in the bathroom. I only found last night that it was still set to run late in the evening and we only really want it in the morning.
hamster

Sorry! I don't know what I did wrong. My readings were:

Jan 20th - 11466.79
Jan 27th - 11503.46
Feb 3rd - 11538.93

Does that help? Confused
Jb

Results updated. It's a low drop but you already use less than most of us.
hamster

Thanks!

I knew we hadn't reduced it much, but we already do all the obvious things and I found it really hard to find stuff to cut down on. I suppose if just being more careful with putting things on standby can cut it by 3% then that's a pretty convincing argument for doing it...

How did you all manage to cut down by so much?
Pilsbury

By using far to much in the first place Embarassed
If you can do everything you can think of to cut down and you only manage a drop of 3% then you are already doing much better than me.
judith

As with last year, I found it was turning off computer peripherals when not in use that made the most difference - it is so tempting to leave, say, the printer on all the time while I'm working. Same with the fax - I receive about one fax a month and am warned about it, so there is absolutely no need for it to sit switched on all the time.
Pilsbury

Funny enough I got a letter from my electricity supplier today, and working out a 22 Kwh reduction saved me £3.74 last week, and if i keep it up for a whole year I save £194.25 Shocked
right what else can I do..........
judith

Pilsbury wrote:
if i keep it up for a whole year I save £194.25 Shocked

That really is impressive - and makes it worthwhile putting in the effort.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home