Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Shan

Seeds

I have placed my orders with Real Seeds & with Nicky's Nursery. Ahhhhhh, I do love seed shopping... so much hope.....
wellington womble

I shall probably do mine tomorrow, ready for Santa. Decisions decisions....
NorthernMonkeyGirl

*sits on overstuffed cases*

I'd better not look.
Unless they have some new interesting Things.
Shan

Loads of new winter squashes... Embarassed
NorthernMonkeyGirl

lalalalalalanotlisteninglalalalalala

Did you see the scotch bonnet without the face-burning heat?
Shan

I did BUT 'm trying to be good and use the chilli seeds I saved from this year's plants.... I might however slip...
Mistress Rose

I go through my seeds each year and discard those that are too old. I then buy a packet from one of the local garden centres. As I don't grow a very wide range of things; just the ones we like, that works quite well, and is probably cheaper than getting carried away by a catalogue. Very Happy
Shan

I have narrowed it down on the catalogue to the things that work but each year I try a few new squash Embarassed

I have a rather large greenhouse, so aubergines, tomatoes, peppers, chillis & cucumbers all go in there. Then the rest go in raised beds.... which seem to multiply each year... Embarassed We probably only buy veg for about 2 months of the year and if I'm honest, that could be improved upon.
Mistress Rose

It depends on how well things do. This year was awful because of the late wet spring. I do buy some things; I can't grow things like cauliflower and calabrese very well and other things have a rather short season. I always hope to do better next season.
Shan

I have given up on any calabrese unless netted. I managed to grow some very respectable kale this year, purely because it has been netted.... otherwise the bloody caterpillars would have decimated them. Thinking of getting a second netting cage and trying purple sprouting.
tim_and_nicky

I just put in an order of nice things from Real seeds, 2 different winter squashes (did you see the Queensland Blue?) but some of the interesting things are sold out already. Roll on new growing year.
dpack

kale stuffed caterpillars are foul,the horseradish ones are a delicacy.
wellington womble

I netted mine, and they still got eaten. They did stage a recovery, mind.
dpack

kale , horseradish or caterpillars ? Laughing
Mistress Rose

I have my kale and purple sprouters netted, but I think the main reason there was no caterpillar damage was a lack of butterflies. I will leave the net on to stop the pigeons eating the greens. They had all the purple sprouters last year.
Shan

Plenty of the bastards here. I planted a couple of the extra kale plants I had out i the garden and the poor things didn't stand a chance!
Shan

I got the following Winter squash/pumpkins from Real Seeds:

Zucca Piacentina Winter Squash
Musquee De Provence Winter Squash
Burgess Buttercup Winter Squash (Vine Type) (grow this every year -a always does well)
Queensland Blue Winter Squash

From Nicky's Nursery, I got:

Sweet Dumpling
Rolet Gem

I grow both the Sweet Dumpling & the gem every year - both do well.
Shan

I netted mine, and they still got eaten. They did stage a recovery, mind.

The net needs to be really fine and not resting on any part of the plants. The bastards can lay their eggs through the nets!!! Learned from experience!
wellington womble

It's that enviromesh stuff, so it ought to be fine enough. I don't think it was resting on the plants, because I put it on hoops of heating pipe and they were only teeny plants. They did recover. I can't remember what they were now. Spring greens, think. Wish I'd managed to get some kale in.
Shan

Not to boast but my kale looks amazing!!!
Mistress Rose

I put my net on cloche hoops, and that works while the plants are quite small. As they get bigger it is more of a problem, but I didn't have to worry this year. I now just want to deter the pigeons, so hope the net will do the trick. My kale has grown quite well, but seems to have slowed down now in the cooler weather.
wellington womble

I grow Calvo Nero, and it's usually bomb proof either without netting. I don't think it grew at all this year, though, even inside. Being planted out in July probably didn't help the cabbage. May is such a manically busy time here, that hardly anything gets done in the garden. I keep vowing to be more organised over the winter so I've got beds ready to plant into, instead of having to prepare them on the run. One day I shall have a marvellous polytunnel and get it all done on sunny frosty days in January and February.
Shan

I keep on telling myself that being organised is over-rated! Laughing
Mistress Rose

So do I, but I never believe myself. Laughing

I found the straight kale was no better through the winter than the curly kale, so we are back to curly this year and it will probably die back later this week as we are promised heavy frost. It shoots again in the spring though, but only lasts a little while as it goes to flower.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home