Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
vegplot

Self selling

We're at the stage of our straw bale house build where we're going to need some capital to undertake the major works. We have another house which we currently let but that tenant is moving on and we're now have an opportune time to release some funds.

Given the stake of the property market we may well hold on for while but is self selling viable or would we be better entrusting an estate agent? Anyone here done this before?no smilies
crofter

Probably not the best time to sell, although that is area dependant to some extent. No chance of a self build mortgage?no smilies
Chez

We tried to self-sell the house in Meifod, with no success. I would say it depends very much on the area. You might do as well putting out word of mouth and a notice in the Post Office if it's a family or couple-type property in a rural area of Wales. In my unqualified and cynical opinion.no smilies
Lloyd

And newspaper ads with a photo, and sign outside the house.no smilies
Treacodactyl

I think the majority of house sales now via an initial inquiry from one of the main online sites such as Prime Location or Rightmove so I'd be tempted to use one of the DIY sites that charges a smaller fee than an estate agent but lists on the property portals.

When we sold our last house we ended up writing most of the details, taking all the photos and doing the viewings - not much left for the estate agent really especially as the Energy performance cert we paid for separately had a house plan.

This was the first thing that came up when I googled and it seems to cover what I might do: http://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/346832/DIY-route-can-cut-cost-of-selling-your-homeno smilies
vegplot

I think the majority of house sales now via an initial inquiry from one of the main online sites such as Prime Location or Rightmove so I'd be tempted to use one of the DIY sites that charges a smaller fee than an estate agent but lists on the property portals.

When we sold our last house we ended up writing most of the details, taking all the photos and doing the viewings - not much left for the estate agent really especially as the Energy performance cert we paid for separately had a house plan.

This was the first thing that came up when I googled and it seems to cover what I might do: http://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/346832/DIY-route-can-cut-cost-of-selling-your-home

Excellent advice. Thank you.no smilies
vegplot

Probably not the best time to sell, although that is area dependant to some extent. No chance of a self build mortgage?

Definitely not the best time to sell. The mortgage isn't an issue, we already have one but not on the house we're selling.no smilies
Mistress Rose

Might it be better to get a mortgage on the house you are thinking of selling. If you get one that you can stop any time, if you decide to sell in the spring, or at some other good time, there will be no penalty. You might get another tenant, and so pretty well cover the mortgage. Just another option. We used this method to buy our woods until I got the money from the sale of my fathers property.no smilies joanne

Probably not the best time to sell, although that is area dependant to some extent. No chance of a self build mortgage?

Definitely not the best time to sell. The mortgage isn't an issue, we already have one but not on the house we're selling.

You'd actually be surprised how buoyant the market is - I work for a company that provides a portal for solicitors for all the searches they do and we were extremely busy even in Decemberno smilies
Lorrainelovesplants

i think the market is starting to pick up, but if you decide to sell you will have to price very realistically.
Would you not try and re-let? There is loads of letting interest right now.no smilies
earthyvirgo

i think the market is starting to pick up, but if you decide to sell you will have to price very realistically.
Would you not try and re-let? There is loads of letting interest right now.

We are both incredibly busy with our respective businesses and letting can be quite an overhead/burden if you get the wrong tenant.

EVno smilies
Nick

If you find the right letting agent, you don't have to do a thing. Not suggesting it's the right ting to do, but it is an option.no smilies dpack

If you find the right letting agent, you don't have to do a thing. Not suggesting it's the right ting to do, but it is an option.

tis what im getting done on behalf of auntie ,i think the cost is about 10% of rental valueno smilies
Nick

I pay between eight and 12.5%, depending on the area, the agent and the service provided.no smilies vegplot

Definitely not the best time to sell. The mortgage isn't an issue, we already have one but not on the house we're selling.

You'd actually be surprised how buoyant the market is - I work for a company that provides a portal for solicitors for all the searches they do and we were extremely busy even in December

We had a look at asking prices in the area over the weekend. It's not as depressed as I thought.no smilies
welsh veg grower

If you remember right we sold our house ourselves when we moved from Anglesey. Happy to give you some pointers. Not convinced now is a good time there was an article in the gardian at the weekend About house prices they may well go up in your area http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jan/04/housing-bubble-fears-price-surge-london-manchesterno smilies
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home