Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Kieran

Selling preserves and cakes - bureaucracy?

Hello all,

Just recently I have been toying with the idea (and working out some costs) of making jams and preserves and maybe cakes, i.e., jam tarts etc.

My question is: If I were to sell these goods at markets and maybe even carboot sales (I have factored in a few people probably wouldn't like the idea of buying cakes in a dusty sun laden carpark), where do I stand in regards to health and safety, licensing etc?

This would only ever be a hobby really that would perhaps provide some beer money and a day out.

If anyone can help, it is appreciated.

Kieran
Jo S

There's been a couple of threads about this recently - my head's not really with it but Bebo is one to ask as she's in the process of doing something vaguely similar.
Kieran

Ah righto Jo, I performed a search but I must have missed something. I will try again Wink

Kieran
Wentworth

This might help:

http://www.food.gov.uk/enforcement/enforceessential/startingup/
gz

Apparently easier if you join the W.I Cool

(yes they DO allow men to join Laughing Laughing )
judith

Apparently easier if you join the W.I Cool

(yes they DO allow men to join Laughing Laughing )

You are thinking of Country Markets. It no longer has anything to do with the WI (which definitely still doesn't allow men in - heaven forfend!!!!)
Bebo

You need to do a Food Hygiene Level 2 exam. The local council Environmental Health Officer will need to check your kitchen and OK it. You're also advised to take out public liability insurance in case you give someone food poisoning. You also need to check up on the labelling regs as you need to make sure you include a list of ingredients etc.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Array Home Home Home Home