Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Hairyloon

Sending large files...

A friend of mine gave me an old hard drive as it seemed to be unreadable, but my computer seems to be reading it OK.
Now that it is working, there are a lot of files that he might like to salvage so I am wondering how best to send them to him...

The simplest way may of course be to put them on a DVD and stick it in the post (didn't the carrier pigeon win the data transmission race recently?), or could do them some at a time with dropbox or similar, but I thought I'd ask here for other suggestions...

He suggested that I set up a VPN and share the drive on it, but he is a bit prone to finding complicated solutions to simple problems...
tahir

dropbox or similar is going to be easiest
dpack

dropbox or similar is going to be easiest

yep ,once it is set up it takes seconds to transfer stuff.

for the free version i think it has a 5g limit so it might need a few changeovers if there is a lot of stuff
Chez

The free one is 2gb now - I've just set one up for Nenna's comms software. But I agree with the general 'this is the easiest way'.
tahir

But I agree with the general 'this is the easiest way'.

But when did hl ever take the easiest option?
Chez

He might on this though, because he's busy turning his piano in to a hen-house.

I never thought I'd ever type that sentence out loud Smile.
dpack

Laughing Laughing Laughing

i never thought i would read a sentence like that and consider it a perfectly normal thing for a chap to do .
Hairyloon

He might on this though, because he's busy turning his piano in to a hen-house.
I've not picked it up yet: need to fit a towbar and pick up the trailer first...

And, not wanting to disappoint, now that we've established the easy option, what are the fiendishly clever ways to do it? Wink
Chez

And, not wanting to disappoint, now that we've established the easy option, what are the fiendishly clever ways to do it? Wink

Beyond my ken I'm afraid Smile.
sean

Print all the code out, post the paper copy and then type it in at the other end? Hairyloon

Print all the code out, post the paper copy and then type it in at the other end?
Now that's just silly...
dpack

dictate the binary via a ham radio message? sean

Establish line of sight and use an Aldis lamp. dpack

Laughing

perfect and make sure you onion route it so as gchq cant copy it
Hairyloon

dictate the binary via a ham radio message?
Actually, internet over ham radio was something I had intended to get into, back in the days when I was worried about the end of civilization...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home