Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Monki magic

September tadpoles

I have just cleared some duckweed of the top of my pond. It doing so I scooped up some tadpoles. Never seen them this late in the year don't think they will make it through the winter.
jamanda

If the water is deficient in iodine they will never turn into frogs, which can be a problem with garden ponds. Maybe that's what's happened here (or not happened).
BahamaMama

So what would be a natural source of iodine?
Nell Merionwen

would it make a difference if you gave them to a school as a project? Keep them in a warmish tank indoors? would they develop?
buzzy

Tadpoles do sometimes overwinter, because of slow development. As long as the pond doesn't freeze or dry out in the winter they should be all right.

Henry
buzzy

would it make a difference if you gave them to a school as a project? Keep them in a warmish tank indoors? would they develop?

They might well develop, in which case you'd have baby frogs in the winter, and the problem of feeding them. Not a project I'd want to take on.

Henry
Treacodactyl

That's why I thought, one of the reasons for ensuring a wildlife pond has a decent deep patch.
Monki magic

Tadpoles do sometimes overwinter, because of slow development. As long as the pond doesn't freeze or dry out in the winter they should be all right.

Henry

Well will just let nature do it's thing then I guess they have 2 choices.

Edit: the pond will be deep enough at about 1.5m
Mustang

My pond in my greenhouse still has a few tadpoles in, long after most have, uh... 'fledged'. The pond won't freeze over winter, and there will be plenty of natural food in the greenhouse for them until they want to move on.

So what is the tadpole equivalent to 'feldging'? Transformed? Mutated?
jamanda

Metamorphosed
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home