Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
ksia

Serious topic, lovely pix

.... of melting glaciers:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/gallery/2009/apr/28/glaciers-melting-climate-change?picture=346586120
BahamaMama

Amazing pictures and a sobering view of the planet.
OP

Without in any way wanting to detract from the underlying message about global warming, I do think it is wrong to imply - as I think this text does - that the environment was static and unchanging in a creationist sort of way until global warming came along and messed it up.

Quote:
The sun illuminates the face of the massive B-15A iceberg in McMurdo Sound after it broke off the Ross Ice Shelf in Antarctica, November 2000. Scientists warned in 2004 that its bulk has disrupted air and water currents that normally break up pack ice in McMurdo Sound, the main maritime access route to three Antartic bases. This may lead to the death of tens of thousands of penguins unable to reach open water for feeding

I'm afraid change is the only constant, even if as probably in this case, it is man-made. And whilst it is bad news for the penguins, they were not always there, and it will be good news for something else.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home