Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
tahir

Setting up a new mail account

I've registered a domain name for email relating to my new project, I wanted to separate it from my other mail so that it's easier to file (I have a huge mailbox), I'd also like this to be accessible (and in synch) from my PC at home.

What are my options? I don't want to use mail forwarding as I'd like the sender to be me@mynewdomain.co.uk
Fee

Does your new domain/server have POP email capability, tahir?

And what email system do you use on your home/work PC's, or are you intending on using webmail?
tahir

Fee wrote:

And what email system do you use on your home/work PC's, or are you intending on using webmail?

Good question Fee, no idea (does it Jema?)

I use Thunderbird at work, I'd like to use that at home too, although I may end up with a webmail interface. It's just that I have so many contacts etc in TB already.
Fee

As far as I'm aware (and I haven't really kept up-to-date on these things I'm afraid, so apologies if what I say is slightly out-dated, or there are other options available to you now), your main options are:

- to use seperate mail (probably webmail) for your new domain, accessing that specific account seperately (this means you would be able to access the same account in the same place from work and from home)

- to access your emails from the new domain in your email system (i.e. Outlook) via POP, and set up a rule/filter for emails sent to your new address to be put into a seperate folder. You will need to do this at home and at work though, and might get a bit confusing for synching...

edit: there might be other synching options for your specific email system, so might be worth a dig into the user manual)
tahir

Fee wrote:
You will need to do this at home and at work though, and might get a bit confusing for synching...

That's my concern. I suppose the webmail is going to be easiest to keep in synch, but then it's another interface and then there's all my contacts etc too.
jema

tahir wrote:
Fee wrote:

Good question Fee, no idea (does it Jema?)

I use Thunderbird at work, I'd like to use that at home too, although I may end up with a webmail interface. It's just that I have so many contacts etc in TB already.

At the moment the domain is just the domain, as it is not hosted the only thing it has is the forwarding allowed for by the registrar. If hosted it would always have pop capability.
Fee

jema wrote:

At the moment the domain is just the domain, as it is not hosted the only thing it has is the forwarding allowed for by the registrar.

I see, I think tother thread on similar subject is being more helpful now anyway Smile

jema wrote:

If hosted it would always have pop capability.

As I said, my expertise in this area might be out-dated, didn't used to be the case Wink
Forager

Tahir, do you mean you want both PCs to have copies of the email? If so set your email accounts in Thunderbird on both PC's to "Leave a copy on server." That way you can download all the email at work, go home and do the same.

After downloading at home you could delete all the email off the server. Various ways to do that but if you have webmail access that may be easiest.
tahir

Forager wrote:
Tahir, do you mean you want both PCs to have copies of the email? If so set your email accounts on both PC's to "Leave a copy on server."

Basically yes, but will that work and what happens to my address book which is obviously not stored on the server (unless I go for a webmail thingy)
Forager

Yes that will work fine.

Regarding the address book you would need to transfer the address book file in Thunderbird from one PC to the other.

In Thunderbird it is Tools>Address book. Then Tools>Export. Name the file and save. Email that to yourself, remembering not to download until you get home. Download at home and save the file to your Desktop. In Thunderbird go to Tools>Address book. Then Tools>Import. Choose Address book>Text file then browse for the file you saved on your desktop.
tahir

Thanks, I'll give it a go, can't think of an issue even if it doesn't work.

Couldn't I just install TB, and copy the whole profile/mailbox over to my home PC, having set the server to keep copies for x days?
jema

tahir wrote:
Thanks, I'll give it a go, can't think of an issue even if it doesn't work.

Couldn't I just install TB, and copy the whole profile/mailbox over to my home PC, having set the server to keep copies for x days?

I certainly take that approach to being able get my emails from multiple machines.
tahir

jema wrote:
I certainly take that approach to being able get my emails from multiple machines.

In which case I need a pop3 server?
jema

tahir wrote:
jema wrote:

In which case I need a pop3 server?

Yep.
Forager

It may work that way. I've never done it like that though so can't say for sure.
tahir

jema wrote:
Yep.

Can you do the necessary for me then?
jema

YGPM
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home