Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Ty Gwyn

Severn Barrage

Seems its back on the cards,
Cost £30billion for 5 percent of Uk energy
Apparently the new plans have been revised,that slower turning/fish friendly turbines will now be used

Previously there was talk that irreplaceable damage would be done to the wetlands on the Welsh coast,not Knowing the Somerset coast,would this be the same concern in that area?
The RSPB still have concerns about this project.

Your thoughts.
chez

I think there was some talk about flooding the Slimbridge area.

My view is that energy security is important and the land will re-form itself - it's been modified by humans for thousands of years and will continue to do so.
john of wessex

My feeling tends to be that it's an enormous 'engineering' solution.

There are a lot of options, many of them 'lo tech' or 'social' rather than mega engineering projects, however they require more political will and social change
12Bore

A few years ago there was a plan mooted to dam the Mersey near us to create a 7 mile long lake with power generating turbines at the western end. It came to nought, allegedly because of a colony of waders, surely they would have moved downstream to the tidal stretch? If they'd thought it through, they could have put a road across the dam and not had to build the new toll bridge at Widnes (which will put loads of heavy traffic through where I live as it goes into the centre of Warrington to the next bridge, to avoid the tolls, but that's another soapbox matter).
OtleyLad

Some people see it as an either the barrage or nuclear.

I don't know what the 'off the shelf' price tag is for a nuclear powers station - anywhere between £1.5Bn - £2.5Bn (ignoring decomissioning costs that can be ginormous).

This barrage is said to cost £30Bn (I've seen £34Bn somewhere but who's quibbling?) .

Hard to compare them as the Severn scheme has had several veriations - so I don't know how many nuclear plants would have to be build to equal the power output of one Severn Barrage.

I'd much rather see a sustainable mix of tidal/wind/solar/pumped storage hydro rather than these big (business) solutions.

If it is a choice bewteen nuclear and this barrage, I'd go for the barrage - hoping the environmental damage (there's always going to be some-even putting up your own wind turbine) will be kept to a minimum.
dpack

5% ?

turn off the lights in empty rooms etc,sorted ,costs nowt

energy security is a complicated subject ,i can make fire ,sorted if needs be .for a continuation of the current use of energy and the growth of use built into the capitalist illusion of security large scale "profitable"projects fit the criteria ,as the french cant get the cash to build next generation nuclear facilities on the old magnox/pwr sites the energy /political peeps in the uk are looking for a fortune soon and somebody else's problem in 25 years

coppice for freedom
Penny Outskirts

5% ?

turn off the lights in empty rooms etc,sorted ,costs nowt

coppice for freedom

Yes..
shadiya

Energy security - hmmm. Speaking for myself, I don't imagine for a minute that either of the options mentioned will provide that but I admit, I am a glass half full type.

Coppice is good but until people take on board the notion of consuming less, a lot less, mostly less in fact Very Happy it's all a bit of a waste of time.
arvo

I'm a bit of a 'put sustainable power wherever you can' kind of guy. When the oil runs out (and it will) we need to already have a solution in place.
What will we do about plastics and medicines if we've burned it all to support 60million videos on standby?
I think offshore wind and micro-turbines in rivers as well as solar wherever it'll go (lots of roofs to put that on).
Soon as we can for all of that, better to get it in now and improve it as we go before we've run out of oil.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home