Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
sean

Seville Oranges are back

Noticed them in the greengrocer yesterday. 1.60/kilo at the moment. They looked pretty good I thought. Cheaper than this time last year.
Barefoot Andrew

Marlymade Very Happy
A.
Jamanda

recypee

I do 1/2 seville and 1/2 normal (naval?) oranges.
Rob R

I noticed them on Thursday - do I get a prize? Very Happy
sean

And again. 1.40-1.80/kg
yummersetter

thank you, good to know - we've got through the 2012 supply!
wellington womble

Not in waitrose. I have been keeping a look out. I missed them last year, so I'm really looking forward to this years marmalade.
Mistress Rose

The farm shop we use has them, but I didn't notice the price as I don't make marmalade. I like it, but use it so infrequently that it always goes mouldy, so just don't bother.
wellington womble

Waitrose comes up trumps. 2.49 a kilo, though. I got carried away and bought 4. A lake of marmalade coming up.
Jamanda

Waitrose comes up trumps. 2.49 a kilo, though. I got carried away and bought 4. A lake of marmalade coming up.

Jeez, I bought a kilo of seville oranges, 3 navel oranges two lemons and a jar of black bean sauce for 3!

65p a kilo I think the oranges were

eta - apparently it was 65p a pound - still a sight cheaper than 2.49 a kilo!
kGarden

The Inlaws are in charge of making Marmalade, but I am thinking time is nigh to move that down a generation!

We use very little Marmalade, so I would appreciate advice as to what weight of oranges to buy - both to make a relatively small batch, whilst being a large enough batch to make it worth doing. We do have a large cauldron jam pot for the stove, and it will take many litres to create some depth in it.
kGarden

Google bought me back to home Smile

"Marmalade And Other Things To Make With Citrus Fruit"
http://www.downsizer.net/Articles/Cooking,_preserving_and_home_brewing/Marmalade_And_Other_Things_To_Make_With_Citrus_Fruits/

Edit:

2lb / 1kg Seville oranges
4lb / 2kg white granulated sugar
2 - 4pts / 1.5 - 2 litres water
juice of 1 large or 2 small lemons

makes 6 x one-pound jars + 1 x12oz jar, or 9 x 12oz jars

That would be enough jars for me, but 2L of water sounds awfully little for my big Jam pan ... do I just use a regular sized pan?
wellington womble

I use a kilo of oranges in 2 litres of water. You can always use a smaller pan, I just use an ordinary stock pot. I usually make biggish batches of most preserves, but I don't make them all every year. It's much easier to make one or two big batches that last a few years than a smaller batch of everything each year. Jams keep for ages before you open them. Even my low sugar versions.
kGarden

I usually make biggish batches of most preserves, but I don't make them all every year. It's much easier to make one or two big batches that last a few years than a smaller batch of everything each year. Jams keep for ages before you open them.

Hadn't considered that, thanks. I was mentally tooling up for doing a batch annually, by calendar clockwork, but I will now consider a different type each year and making/keeping more jars / longer.
kGarden

P.S. We have a Panasonic breadmaker, must be well over 10 years old and will fail at some point. The new ones have a Jam making program, which does small quantities, I wonder if that works well? I quite fancy the idea of being able to convert just a handful of excess Raspberries / Strawberries into something other than Yet More Compost Heap! gythagirl

OH presented me with a 5kg bag of Sevilles last January - that's a LOT of oranges - and I am NOT making marmalade this year! I repeat, NOT! Jamanda

The Inlaws are in charge of making Marmalade, but I am thinking time is nigh to move that down a generation!

We use very little Marmalade, so I would appreciate advice as to what weight of oranges to buy - both to make a relatively small batch, whilst being a large enough batch to make it worth doing. We do have a large cauldron jam pot for the stove, and it will take many litres to create some depth in it.

I did 1kg oranges this time and ended up with 7 1/2 jars (most of which have been bagsied by assorted people!)
Ty Gwyn

When will Tangerines be back,not seen them for years ,only Satsumas and Necterines,just not the same flavour. Mistress Rose

Do you mean Mandarins Ty Gwyn. Nectarines are a non-hairy peach usually. The supermarket I patronise hasn't even had them, only small or easy peel oranges. I get satsumas at the farm shop. Ty Gwyn

Thanks Chris,the only Mandarins i have tasted have been in a tin,

It was Clementines i was thinking of not Nectarines.
dpack

i like lime mmlade ,the orange sort im not keen on

sevilles do make a good orange liqueur by steeping in high end sprit or by adding to the mash and boiling over
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home