Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
sean

Seville oranges...

Spotted in the greengrocery this morning, for those of you who like that sort of thing. 1.10/kg.
Penny Outskirts

This year, I AM going to make marmalade Evil or Very Mad I promise it to myself every year, and get sidetracked Embarassed
CP

I've still got a couple of jars left from last year, but will make some more again this year anyway.

I did learn the hard way that it's best not to drink too much wine while potting up though.........took forever to clear up all the sticky spills Embarassed Laughing
sean

Penny wrote:
This year, I AM going to make marmalade

You'll be wanting this helpful article by gil then.
Penny Outskirts

sean wrote:
Penny wrote:
This year, I AM going to make marmalade

You'll be wanting this helpful article by gil then.

Ah, that'll do nicely sir Very Happy
LynneA

Howard's off to look for them now Laughing
sean

We're nearer to Spain than you are though. They may not have made it up the M4.
judith

I spotted some in the Unicorn in Chorlton just before New Year. Is this the furthest North they have been sighted?
Northern_Lad

judith wrote:
I spotted some in the Unicorn in Chorlton just before New Year. Is this the furthest North they have been sighted?

Sod the oranges; what were you doing up here? Shocked
sean

Could well be. We need a map where people can post sightings, a bit like the phenology network has.
judith

Northern_Lad wrote:

That's for me to know...
Northern_Lad

judith wrote:
Northern_Lad wrote:

That's for me to know...

Look, dish the dirt, or I publish the photos.
thos

I had a look in the supermarket last night while I popped in for some milk. No Seville, but a surfeit of oranges from Argentina, Peru and Chile.

I did make some Marmade in September - does this give me half a point or a negative point?
judith

I remain uncorrupted and incorruptible.
Your threats hold no fear for me.
cab

None that I saw on Cambridge market at lunchtime Sad
Sarah D

Not seen them in Dikes yet but hoping they will be by the weekend. I probably have 3 or 4 rolling around the bottom of the freezer from last year - the few that escaped the brewing bucket Laughing
Vic

On sale in Sherborne this week - 60p a pound from the market stall, 79p from Stokes - but they were organic, allegedly...
cab

Bought three pounds of them on Friday afternoon for making marmalade. 1 per kilo in Arbury, Cambridge.
gil

We don't usually get them here till end of Jan or even Feb. Something in the idea of a slow spread of Sevilles through the countyr, then ?
mochyn

Got them in Llanfyllin...
sean

So they're heading north and fanning out across the country. Where did they come ashore?
alison

We have ours.

2 cases of oranges, a case of grapefruit and a case of lemons. 4 batches prepared today! I will be on marmalade for the next fortnight I should think!
mochyn

I'm off into town later to order a couple of cases.
Sarah D

Mine just about to go into the pan - 2kg at 96p per kilo. Quite small this year.
LynneA

Howard's just phoned to say he's bought the last two Kilo bags in Morrisons - 1.09 a bag.

He'll be on the lookout for more in the branch in Wimbledon come Monday.
Jamanda

Bought a load today to try the wine recipes from Gil and Cab. Also will put some of the peel into a beef stew - yummy.
alison

So far we have made 96 pints of marmalade, not sure of the weight, but I counted the quart jars instead. Confused
Jamanda

Shocked What will you do with so much marmalade?
sean

Run a B&B. Try to keep up.
Bernie66

Jamanda wrote:
Shocked What will you do with so much marmalade?

Well you did ask..
alison

... and you have been here! Laughing
alison

not quite half way yet either Shocked
Becki

sean wrote:
Run a B&B. Try to keep up.

I was thinking that was so rude, but then I saw who wrote it and who he was talking too Laughing

But hey, it's still rude!!!! Laughing Wink
cab

Just pressure cooked my seville oranges with some water, they're cooling now to the point where I'll be able to cut them up, get the seeds out, and get on with the serious business of marmalade.
Jamanda

I still think that's a heck of a lot of marmalade. Are you sure you aren't secretly supplying Paddington bear?
cab

Jamanda wrote:
I still think that's a heck of a lot of marmalade.

You missed the marmalade pool (with diving board) when you visited?
Jamanda

cab wrote:
Jamanda wrote:
I still think that's a heck of a lot of marmalade.

You missed the marmalade pool (with diving board) when you visited?

It must have had the cover on.
wellington womble

alison wrote:
So far we have made 96 pints of marmalade, not sure of the weight, but I counted the quart jars instead. Confused

Blimey, its a good job they're not in season in july Wink

none in the box scheme yet, but they usually get them. I might remind them, just in case!
alison

You are right WW, but we do have to do boxes and boxes of strawberries into Jam in June! Confused
cab

While waiting for the bloke who's installing the central heating (hence essentially bored) I've just wiped down and labelled the marmalade. First preserve of the year, its sitting in the cupboard now.
gil

Finally got Sevilles here yesterday.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home