Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
cab

Seville oranges...

...spotted on Cambridge market today.
Jamanda

I spotted some last week in Bideford. Didn't look at the price. Last year they came down remarkably if you waited a while.
earthyvirgo

Nothing here yet, I looked yesterday

EV
Nicky Colour it green

i have mine on order Smile
Chez

I am craving marmalade ...
sean

You should have said last time you were here. Jamanda's trying to get rid of ours so that she can make a new lot.
Green Rosie

I still have frozen ones from last year Embarassed
Rosemary Judy

and me Green Rosie Embarassed

but I have just started the last jar of last years batch, so must start to look now.
Midland Spinner

I got some early in December see Marmalade steam froze my catflap I've never seen them so early in the season (but the circumstances were unusual!
Bulgarianlily

I am told if I go down into Greece I can just pick them up off the road.... Shocked
LynneA

Howard still has a few jars of 2010 vintage, but he's itching to get started on the new batch.

Think he's aiming for a jar for every week.
cab

Cheapest price yesterday ws 70p/lb. They'll get cheaper in the next couple of weeks I think. Low point last year was three weeks in to January.
gil

They don't usually reach here till late January.

I still have 1 jar of 2007 Seville. Also 2008, 2009 and 2010.
And Sweet Orange and Chilli, and Blood Orange.

I even have some oranges left in the freezer, but I really don't need to make any this year.
nats

I don't need to make any - have loads of the stuff - but I know I won't be able to stop myself! I made jelly half and half seville and blood last year that was really yummy might have to make that again!
cab

Experimented by adding a little Drambuie to some of the seville orange marmalade last year while bottling it up. Works wonderfully well.

You can't have too much marmalade. If you think you HAVE got too much then you're not making this pudding often enough:
http://www.threechimneys.co.uk/more-pudding-club.php
toggle

need to check the cupboard. my mother is the only one that eats armalade, so i'll do half a dozen jars for her. see if all of last years has gone so i'll know what she needs.
sean

Cheapest price yesterday ws 70p/lb. They'll get cheaper in the next couple of weeks I think. Low point last year was three weeks in to January.

Fractionally cheaper here at 1.40/kg.
Penny Outskirts

1.96kg here Sad
astra

I am told if I go down into Greece I can just pick them up off the road.... Shocked

You certainly could a couple of years ago. we couldn't believe our eyes! Laughing
sgt.colon

Have I missed them now or may I still be able to get some? sean

There were still some in the greengrocer's here the other day. sgt.colon

Thanks Sean, I think I'll have a look in our local GG's on Saturday. Got the urge to make some marmalade.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home