Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
OtleyLad

Sex my Junipers

Latest want is a Juniper (for the berries). Was at the local garden centre and they had some good looking babies but when I asked if they were male/female they had no idea.
Is it possible to tell them apart when young?
Falstaff

Take their genes down ?? Embarassed
dpack

Laughing

perhaps get several as it might take at least two to tango
OtleyLad

It does take two (the posh word is Dioecious) - and I didn't want to buy 3 and end up with three boys - only the girls bear the berries of course.
Falstaff

It does take two (the posh word is Dioecious) - and I didn't want to buy 3 and end up with three boys - only the girls bear the berries of course.

Idea Buy them in the Autumn ? Very Happy
jamanda

Do the females have to be fertilised? They may bear sterile fruits. I don't know I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility.
sean

Am I the only person whose brain reads this thread title out in a Hugh-Laurie-as-Prince-Regent accent?
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Am I the only person whose brain reads this thread title out in a Hugh-Laurie-as-Prince-Regent accent?

...not anymore you're not Rolling Eyes
dpack

monster Laughing Mistress Rose

I have not had to deal with junipers, but yew trees you can't tell for a few years until they start to produce pollen or fruit. The ones outside our house are both male and produce 'pollen bombs' early in the spring all over the car. OtleyLad

I have not had to deal with junipers, but yew trees you can't tell for a few years until they start to produce pollen or fruit. The ones outside our house are both male and produce 'pollen bombs' early in the spring all over the car.

I've a feeling that is how it is with Junipers. I wanted to grow some as they are a useful habitat for birds, etc. as well as for the berries for me.
OtleyLad

...not anymore you're not Rolling Eyes

Laughing I can so hear him too.
tai haku

There are a number of different cultivars of common juniper used in the ornamental trade which are propagated clonally through cuttings. If you can work out ones which are male or female (either through research or seeing them with cones on) you can buy plants you know are a given sex (albeit they might be silly looking ones). Mistress Rose

I expect you are aware Otley Lad, but wild juniper needs no competition so is inclined to die out if there are any trees near. I would assume most other junipers are the same.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home