Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
chez

Sexing turkeys

I've only got one. It's about four months old. How do I tell if it's a boy turkey or a girl turkey? I want to get it a friend - at the moment it thinks it's an araucana bantam, which is causing the araucana bantams a bit of a distress.
Piggyphile

Has it got a hairy spot in the middle of its chest? All males have it and only 20 % of females have it so that might give you a clue. Otherwise wait until the full colouration develops on the wattles. It is harder if you only have one as little to compare it with. Boys are more warty and are taller and 'gobble'. Not sure if I ever heard my female gobble.
Bodger

Gobblers? I'm hoping to get a few gobblers this year. Laughing

That hairy bit on a male turkeys chest is known as its beard but I can't remember how old they are when it develops.
chez

Apparently the one I have is a lavender blue one and is more suitable for egg laying than eating. I would really like some pied ones - the crollweizer type that are black and white. But none of them hatched out of the mish-mash of eggs I bought!
Bodger

I have a site for you but goodness they're asking some money for their wares. Have a look at this. Shocked

http://www.rutlandorganics.co.uk/rutland-heritage-turkeys.html
chez

I found that earlier, whilst I was looking for sex tips. (fnar fnar Rolling Eyes ). I guess for breeding stock that's an okay price for that part of the country? Given my understanding that 90% of turkeys die before reaching adulthood and the other 10% draw straws from then on to decide who's hanging round until Christmas?

What I REALLY need is a boy guinea fowl, though. I've got one girl.
Bodger

Ideally, I'd like to get some Norfolk Blacks. They were the best tasting turkeys that I've ever kept. I've kept Bourbons but they produced quite small Christmas dinners.
chez

This is my first foray in to the species. I am stupidly surprised at how many varieties there are.
Piggyphile

I had a double breasted Bronze boy, who got to 38lbs after cleaning and double breasted white boys who made 30lbs each. The girl was 22lbs. I hadn't realised that they were all double breasted, evidently the males can not mount the females if they are double breasted and the girls have to be artificially inseminated.
I loved them all dearly, they were friendly and chatty but ate like horses. Next time I will get more streamlined breeds that can reproduce naturally.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home