Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
lorrayne

Sharpies

Not hypodermics but pens - are they any good? I'm looking to decorate a papier mache pot in a sort of aboriginal style (lots of dots) and finding using a paint brush difficult ...........

L
sean

They're very good. All the best musicians use them for signing stuff.
Nick

You won't find a lab without them. They mark pretty much anything, and it stays marked.
wellington womble

There's one in my handbag. I've used it for writing on everything from plastic to children. It does come off, eventually.
Treacodactyl

You won't find a lab without them.

Thankfully our hound doesn't know how to use pens yet. I do find Sharpies are good for plant labels and the pens don't seem to run out quickly like many other markers.
Nick

Step away from the Christmas Cracker jokes.
dpack

Laughing

sharpies are good but so are brushes ,fingers and chinagraph crayons depending on the surface to be marked

for papermache i would probably go for brush and paint .

ps brushes are as varied as pigment mixes ,crop tip for dots works well and for non run dots a thickish pigment mix is best.
wellington womble

You won't find a lab without them.

Thankfully our hound doesn't know how to use pens yet. I do find Sharpies are good for plant labels and the pens don't seem to run out quickly like many other markers.

Ours got hold of a lipstick once. I thought there was blood everywhere....
dpack

bagel found a lippy on a bus,i had a similar panic Rolling Eyes earthyvirgo

They're good but I find they run out quite quickly.
(I use them for the base drawing on my black and white linocuts).

EV
tahir

I think pentel are better Slim

Sharpie also makes an "Industrial" version if you're working with a solvent that takes away normal sharpies sean

I think pentel are better

Yeah, but you like Kenwood mixers... Twisted Evil
Nick

I think pentel are better

Yeah, but you like Kenwood mixers... Twisted Evil

And Volvos.
lorrayne

Where else can you post about a pen and get a couple of jokes, an insight to another downsizers preferences and a couple of sensible answers - love it !
Thank you
L
tahir

I don't think you'll find a Volvo useful in the reproduction of aboriginal art, the chef on the other hand is one of the most versatile tools ever invented... gythagirl

Chef Chef Chef. Er, Sharpies...love'em, though contrary to a previous post, I've found they DON'T make good plant markers - much to my dismay when I found pots of seedlings with indistinguishable leaves and labels! Slim

Chef Chef Chef. Er, Sharpies...love'em, though contrary to a previous post, I've found they DON'T make good plant markers - much to my dismay when I found pots of seedlings with indistinguishable leaves and labels!

Nope only short term labels of starts in the greenhouse. Even the industrial fades in the sun. Graphite Pencil wins out for that usage.
wellington womble

I don't think you'll find a Volvo useful in the reproduction of aboriginal art, the chef on the other hand is one of the most versatile tools ever invented...

Only if you you cater for industrial quantities. It won't mix a three egg cake mix.

I find sharpie works fine for plant labels. I even recycle them from one year to the next.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home