Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
folly kev

Sheet composting?

Hi all

My next question, I have about 5 acers that is full of ragwort, but I'm not planning on using the field till winter for horse turnout.

If I was to top the field (it's hasn't been grazed on for a few months) then plough it for sheet composting and then poss re-seed it.

Would

a) this be a good idea?
b) expect there to be some grazing in time for winter?

Thanks ahead
Kev
Treacodactyl

Wouldn't the ragwort just regrow? It seems very deep rooted here and the seeds will love freshly turned soil. I thought the best way was to pull the plants up before they set seed (wearing gloves etc to protect you) and compost the plants well away from livestock, horses etc?
folly kev

Yes it would, but like a fool i didn't write out the full plan

I believe it's too late to spray the ragwort while it's now flowering, so top it and bury it now and then spray at the correct time of year.
alison

How much is there? I just spend a few sunny evenings walking round pulling ours out. It uproots really easily.
folly kev

alison wrote:
How much is there? I just spend a few sunny evenings walking round pulling ours out. It uproots really easily.

LOADS!!!! Sad

but what do peoplethink of the sheet composting idea?
Slim

What would you use to sheet compost 5 acres?

If you have thick enough layers of mulch, it'll help keep things from coming up, but it'll also be a bit difficult to seed into, unless you plow it under.
folly kev

Slim wrote:

If you have thick enough layers of mulch, it'll help keep things from coming up, but it'll also be a bit difficult to seed into, unless you plow it under.

My understanding of sheet composting is to top the field and plough the topping into the field and for then the topping will de-compose in the ground.

as for seeding, I may of misunderstood what is needed before asking Sad
Rob R

Horses & ragwort seem to be an essential combination in many fields round here, probably because they like spraying it. Pulling always seems to be more effective in the longer term I find.

As for putting horses on newly seeded land- only very lightly in favourable ground conditions. Ideally keep horses away from it until it is well established.

Given the weather we're experiencing, I wouldn't risk any reseeding now until there is a reliable supply of rain on the way, ideally late summer/autumn.
Slim

folly kev wrote:
Slim wrote:

My understanding of sheet composting is to top the field and plough the topping into the field and for then the topping will de-compose in the ground.

Laughing Or I might not be knowing what you're talking about! Laughing
I think I was thinking more about sheet mulching which is typically done on a garden scale... Embarassed
folly kev

Slim wrote:
folly kev wrote:
Slim wrote:

Laughing Or I might not be knowing what you're talking about! Laughing
I think I was thinking more about sheet mulching which is typically done on a garden scale... Embarassed

Well i have no idea what I'm talking about, I purelyp1ssing in the wind Smile

'Definition: Sheet composting is the technique of spreading organic materials over a garden before they have thoroughly decomposed, then tilling them under to achieve subsequent decomposition. Those who haven’t the time to manage a compost bin, in which organic materials can be decomposed thoroughly, sometimes employ the technique of sheet composting.'
folly kev

Rob R wrote:

Given the weather we're experiencing, I wouldn't risk any reseeding now until there is a reliable supply of rain on the way, ideally late summer/autumn.

right ok, so if I re-seed then , i take it spring will be the first time we can use it for grazing then?
Rob R

Probably, to any 'real' grazing pressure at least. Of course it depends on your climate & soils too. If I were you I'd give these guys a ring: http://www.cotswoldseeds.co.uk/horseleys.htm for some advice. They really know their onions, well, grasses.
folly kev

Rob R wrote:
Probably, to any 'real' grazing pressure at least. Of course it depends on your climate & soils too. If I were you I'd give these guys a ring: http://www.cotswoldseeds.co.uk/horseleys.htm for some advice. They really know their onions, well, grasses.

nice link, cheers Smile
Sally Too

I would not plough up. Ragwort seed is long lived and will grow again.

We had this problem one summer on a field that had been cut for hay just before ragwort in the neighbouring field (not ours) set seed. Next year the ragwort grew in drifts opposite every gap in the hedge.

This is how we delt with it. I issued the family with gloves and we pulled every night for ages. It is easiest to pull when it is flower. We gathered the lot in a huge pile and mixed it with old branches etc and set fire to it after some days drying.... (this was only somewhat successful!)

The following spring we sprayed early in the year. We have always left a good sward on the field at ragwort seed time ever since and have had no more problems.

Anywhere there is bare soil you will get ragwort and dockans self seed. The seeds lie dormant in the soil until they get light and then they germinate and grow.

You want to get your grass growing so well that the ragwort has no chance. Trouble is ponies often need a bare field to prevent laminitis - so ragwort can germinate.

Keep pulling. Hellofa job but worth it. I think ploughing will mean it takes longer for your field to recover.
Tavascarow

Offer the money you would spend on spray to a local broke teenager & get him or her to pull the ragwort with you, maybe offer them some free riding?
Give it some nitrogen & let what grass is there regrow.
If the grass doesn't recover plough it in the autumn.
I think with your method you might get a lot of regrowth from the burried roots & as has been said grass isn't going to germ very well in this weather.
Rob R

I was following the 'Downsizerish' advice there- ie cut out the spray option, but then nitrogen?? That's only going to encourage the nitrogen hungry grasses & smother out the self-sustaining ones...
Sally Too

A seaweed fertiliser works well. That's what our fields got. I agree it would be great not to ever have to use a chemical again, but in our case spraying with a broad leaf weed killer (takes out nettles, dockans and ragwort) was great to get things under control again. We've only done it a couple of times ever.
Rob R

That depends largely on the content of your sward at the beginning, if it's just a barren sea of meadow grass, ryegrass & broad leaved weeds. Be very sure you don't wipe out clovers, vetches, trefoil, sorrel, plantains & other herbs/wild flowers though. If you have nettles in any great quantity, cattle love them, especially wilted, and they selectively graze around thistles & docks to make cutting easier (they'll even eat a certain number of them- was watching Angus pulling up thistles so he could eat the roots last week Laughing )
jenn

the onl;y way to get rid of ragwort completely is to buy a ragwort fork and dig it out and burn it, its time consuming but if you spray you cant do anything with it for months I have been given to understand, we have just dug ours out and bunt it or we did last year and we only have one piece come up, mind you it does depend on how much and how big your field is.

jenn
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home