Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption
 


       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
vegplot

Shooting competition

This year I've enter the Spring Action Weekend (sounds like a swingers club) shoot at Bisley this year. This is a competition specifically for the gallery rifle discipline, it's run twice a year in the Spring and Autumn. Over the last six months I've been fine tuning my technique (stop sniggering at the back) and there's been a marked improved in my performance (that's enough).

That's until in practice last week I was have real trouble even grouping on the target let alone hitting the 10 ring consistently. So I bench rested the rifle and it's shooting all over the place (big relief it isn't me) with the latest batch of ammunition I made - something is clearly amiss. I tried an earlier batch and it's spot on. I have just over a week to find out what's gone wrong and make another batch of several hundred rounds before the 27th.
T.G

and there i was thinking it was a sure way to become the market leader Wink
gardening-girl

Yougest son is representing the TA,s at Bisley soon.Wonder if its the same weekend?
GENT

Re: Shooting competition

vegplot wrote:
This year I've enter the Spring Action Weekend (sounds like a swingers club) shoot at Bisley this year. This is a competition specifically for the gallery rifle discipline, it's run twice a year in the Spring and Autumn. Over the last six months I've been fine tuning my technique (stop sniggering at the back) and there's been a marked improved in my performance (that's enough).

That's until in practice last week I was have real trouble even grouping on the target let alone hitting the 10 ring consistently. So I bench rested the rifle and it's shooting all over the place (big relief it isn't me) with the latest batch of ammunition I made - something is clearly amiss. I tried an earlier batch and it's spot on. I have just over a week to find out what's gone wrong and make another batch of several hundred rounds before the 27th.


Hand loading is something that has always interested me- when I have a gun to reload for I will certainly give it a go!
I hope you find out what the variation is in the ammunition.

What will you do with all of the faulty ammunition?

Is the saving really that significant? or do you hand load for personalisation of your rounds also?

How difficult is it for you to buy factory ammunition? does you local gun shop keep .357 in stock? (i presume you are talking about your .357 if you still have it...?)

glad to hear it was not you nor the rifle!
vegplot

Re: Shooting competition

GENT wrote:

What will you do with all of the faulty ammunition?


Shoot it, it's still shootable.

GENT wrote:

Is the saving really that significant? or do you hand load for personalisation of your rounds also?


Savings can be significant but the real advantage is that you load for a specific purpose in my case accuracy.

GENT wrote:

How difficult is it for you to buy factory ammunition? does you local gun shop keep .357 in stock? (i presume you are talking about your .357 if you still have it...?)


Yes, .357 although I reload a variety of other types. Stock is an issue it's getting expensive (18 for 50 and in comps you can use several hundred rounds) and the variety isn't there hence the reasons to reload. With the .357 I cast the bullets as well and this means I have more control and cost savings are even greater.

I can make 50 rounds for around 4.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home