Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Nell Merionwen

shot silk

I need to make a tudor court costume. Where are all the cool kids buying fabric these days? Sally? Frewen?
sally_in_wales

this is the seller I got the flat silk for the robe battante from:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-FLAT-SMOOTH-SILK-CLAY-PER-METRE-SLK27-/390614219442?pt=UK_Crafts_Fabric&hash=item5af26bfab2 she has about three shades in the smooth silk, you know to avoid the dupion types already so I won't waffle on about that, but the flat silk is absolutley perfect for histroic costume. The orchid might look rather spiffy for a court costume?
dpack

sd gets silk posted from japan,i think she bids on ebay for some of it .last one i can think of was 11m of white kimono silk for about 40
i think it had a small flaw in the middle so was no good as a posh kimono

i will ask when she gets back
sally_in_wales

here it is made up if you missed the pic on twitter at the weekend, its got a fabulous crisp handle and the light bounces off it marvellously.

Nell Merionwen

this is the seller I got the flat silk for the robe battante from:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-FLAT-SMOOTH-SILK-CLAY-PER-METRE-SLK27-/390614219442?pt=UK_Crafts_Fabric&hash=item5af26bfab2 she has about three shades in the smooth silk, you know to avoid the dupion types already so I won't waffle on about that, but the flat silk is absolutley perfect for histroic costume. The orchid might look rather spiffy for a court costume?

I've been looking at that. Does she seel it by the roll? I guess I could just ask Wink Laughing
Nell Merionwen

I've been looking at that. Does she seel it by the roll? I guess I could just ask Wink Laughing
I think you are right about the orchid. Now to choose a colour to go under it.
sally_in_wales

it was 'accidental stock' apparently, so grab it while she has it, if I was rich I'd be stocking up for a couple more gowns. Its been years since I've seen proper smooth shot silk taffetta like that in the right weight for historic gowns. Nell Merionwen

yellow under it? sally_in_wales

Black petticoats, black velvet partlet, really good quality white lace ruff on a white linen shift (I've got a link here somewhere to inexpensive bobbin lace lookalike) and plenty of pearls, and you'll be seriously classy without breaking the bank. What dateline are you doing?
sally_in_wales

http://www.littletrimmings.com/laces_cotnew.html sixth one down on teh right, you won't get a better look-alike lace at that price I reckon, the narrow one in teh same section also looks good sally_in_wales

yellow under it?

its dupion though, so instant fancy dress effect and a no go for any seriously authenti uses
Nell Merionwen

Black petticoats, black velvet partlet, really good quality white lace ruff on a white linen shift (I've got a link here somewhere to inexpensive bobbin lace lookalike) and plenty of pearls, and you'll be seriously classy without breaking the bank. What dateline are you doing?
Because I am far to busy these days to draft my own patterns or possibly too lazy I have just bought one of the tudor tailor patterns. So between that dress patter and anything I take from the book it is more or less going to be a tudor tailoresque creation. Could be a winner.
sally_in_wales

which pattern have you gone for? Nell Merionwen

yellow under it?

its dupion though, so instant fancy dress effect and a no go for any seriously authenti uses

Can you tell I just looked at the colour and not the writing Wink
sally_in_wales

I'd definately go for plain stark contrasts with that orchid, its going to be violet shot with a black thread almost certainly, and black and white accessories are very re-useable for other things. A few amethysts in your jewels maybe? Nell Merionwen

this one
also partlet in linen, more silk or velvet. (I don't have any silk velvet so would have to hunt for some)
dpack

it was ebay and they seem japan i easier than australia ,a lot is oldish rolls but it might be worth a look sally_in_wales

You might not need a partlet with that, also its early so ruffs not a big issue. Get some good velvet and silk gauze for the french hood, and use amethest set ouches and pearls in the billements, and you'll be glorious Nell Merionwen

You might not need a partlet with that, also its early so ruffs not a big issue. Get some good velvet and silk gauze for the french hood, and use amethest set ouches and pearls in the billements, and you'll be glorious
Glorious would be good. Very Happy I'll just make it and imagine what it would look like on someone much thinner Laughing
sally_in_wales

if you can find a figured black silk for the petticoat and undersleeves, that would be a nice textural contrast maybe?
What's the gig? Do you have a specific dateline to comply with?
Nell Merionwen

if you can find a figured black silk for the petticoat and undersleeves, that would be a nice textural contrast maybe?
What's the gig? Do you have a specific dateline to comply with?
It's Laugharne in September. It's actually Elizabethan, I am pulling the "poor relative hand me down's card" wich works as Laugharne was built badly on a budget due to lack of money. I suppose however, If I am making new I could make it period specific. I've always been either a bit late or ahead of my time when there.
sally_in_wales

its a faux silk, but this might be rather spectacular as a petticoat http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PURPLE-GOLD-FAUX-SILK-DAMASK-JACQUARD-56-W-FABRIC-DOUBLE-SIDE-BY-YARD-/110957156784?pt=US_Fabric&hash=item19d58fd9b0 sally_in_wales

its a court dress though, no way are you wearing hand me downs to court, you might get away with it for middle class, but not court. I'd go for the right dateline, much easier to fit the backstory to it, and no harder as you are making from scratch Nell Merionwen

its a faux silk, but this might be rather spectacular as a petticoat http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PURPLE-GOLD-FAUX-SILK-DAMASK-JACQUARD-56-W-FABRIC-DOUBLE-SIDE-BY-YARD-/110957156784?pt=US_Fabric&hash=item19d58fd9b0
Oh my Shocked Very Happy That's rather eye catching.
Nell Merionwen

its a court dress though, no way are you wearing hand me downs to court, you might get away with it for middle class, but not court. I'd go for the right dateline, much easier to fit the backstory to it, and no harder as you are making from scratch I am wearing it in a Welsh back water Laughing It's not even their "good" castle. Laughing Nell Merionwen

its a court dress though, no way are you wearing hand me downs to court, you might get away with it for middle class, but not court. I'd go for the right dateline, much easier to fit the backstory to it, and no harder as you are making from scratch

From scratch is a massive advantage.
sally_in_wales

Ok, lets look at this another way, does it have therefore to be a court dress? Would you get more mileage out of a seriously good upper middle class outfit? Are you actually attending court with royalty present? dpack

the Portuguese got to japan in 1543 and i spose some might have got back by about 1546 if that helps but there had been trade along the silk rd and via Okinawa earlier Nell Merionwen

Ok, lets look at this another way, does it have therefore to be a court dress? Would you get more mileage out of a seriously good upper middle class outfit? Are you actually attending court with royalty present?
Erm not on the day the public happen to be visiting. I'm more in the world of getting my lovely seaside castle ready for a court visit. So i suppose high middle class function would be better.
sally_in_wales

Excellent, this gives you so much more leeway on shapes and fabrics, let alone jewels. What date is it ideally?

Remember, if you are preparing for a court visit, as lady of the house you'll be supervising all the frantic cleaning and baking, so you need to look in charge but practical and mildly dust proof, and that then allows you to talk to visitors about how you are equally looking forwards to and dreading having to get into your court outfit when the Queen arrive
Nell Merionwen

Excellent, this gives you so much more leeway on shapes and fabrics, let alone jewels. What date is it ideally?

Remember, if you are preparing for a court visit, as lady of the house you'll be supervising all the frantic cleaning and baking, so you need to look in charge but practical and mildly dust proof, and that then allows you to talk to visitors about how you are equally looking forwards to and dreading having to get into your court outfit when the Queen arrive

It's about 1580ish. I'm now thinking more along this line.

Although I often go on about how very important my visitors are (hence wandering the gardens for such a long time)
sally_in_wales

Its a really versatile look, my 'standard' Elizabethan outfit is based on this, and I strip the gown off to do mucky stuff in just the kirtle.

But, if that feels too modest, go for http://www.tudortailor.com/womens-patterns/?etsypro_product_id=111952209 but do it in a fine plain wool or the coffee coloured flat silk, with excellently white linens and a small lace edge to the ruff, and have with you a much more flamboyant ruff that you are 'just taking to be starched ready for the Queen's visit' and then you can talk abut how your court gown will be similar in cut but in the fancier silksand with jewels and a more exciting ruff (and maybe have some fabric samples on you to show people) then you can cover both angles.
Nell Merionwen

sd gets silk posted from japan,i think she bids on ebay for some of it .last one i can think of was 11m of white kimono silk for about 40
i think it had a small flaw in the middle so was no good as a posh kimono

i will ask when she gets back
Thank you x x x
dpack

ebay.co.uk/usr/kimonopetitjapon

all items for sale bit she says Wink

might be something for the fancy parts

if tis 1580 the trade of stuff from japan to europe was quite well established on often came on the same boats as the spices
Nick

here it is made up if you missed the pic on twitter at the weekend, its got a fabulous crisp handle and the light bounces off it marvellously.

Your house looked different when I popped by the other day. Is that the back?
sean

its got a fabulous crisp handle

There's posh. A frock with built in nibbles accessories.
sally_in_wales

Your house looked different when I popped by the other day. Is that the back?

yep, afraid we sent you to the tradesman's entrance...
Nell Merionwen

Its a really versatile look, my 'standard' Elizabethan outfit is based on this, and I strip the gown off to do mucky stuff in just the kirtle.

But, if that feels too modest, go for http://www.tudortailor.com/womens-patterns/?etsypro_product_id=111952209 but do it in a fine plain wool or the coffee coloured flat silk, with excellently white linens and a small lace edge to the ruff, and have with you a much more flamboyant ruff that you are 'just taking to be starched ready for the Queen's visit' and then you can talk abut how your court gown will be similar in cut but in the fancier silksand with jewels and a more exciting ruff (and maybe have some fabric samples on you to show people) then you can cover both angles.
I like this idea Cool Particularly over a spanish farthingale.
Nell Merionwen

being that I have just bought the henrican pattern I may have to make both. Embarassed sally_in_wales

patterns don't go off Nell Merionwen

patterns don't go off
I didn't mean soon Laughing Laughing Laughing
Nell Merionwen

french hood with bongrace? sally_in_wales

french hood with bongrace?

Yep, or maybe one of the heart shaped hoods?
Nell Merionwen

french hood with bongrace?

Yep, or maybe one of the heart shaped hoods?
according to my afternoon reading (after searching for elizabethan heart shaped hoods) they were still just french hoods. Same basic principle just a smaller, heart shaped brim. What do you think?
sally_in_wales

I think so, wired frame over a buckrum base in the usual manner, its just getting the profile you want Nell Merionwen

I think so, wired frame over a buckrum base in the usual manner, its just getting the profile you want
I've got a pattern here for a henrican french hood, I think I will be able to adapt that and then shape it with a wire frame as you said.
Nell Merionwen

I have spent most of the day looking at yummy things. I now need a full Tudor wardrobe. Laughing
Still can't find any black or cream figured silk though Rolling Eyes
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home