Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Behemoth

Shotgun surprise

Had a go at clay pidgeon shooting yesterday - first time with a gun, 3 out of 5 hits on what was supposed to be a diffcult flight!

Good fun.

better if dinner was on the end of it. Very Happy
Brownbear

Well, you can kit yourself out with a decent gun, cabinet and certificate for about £500.
KILLITnGRILLIT

Re: Shotgun surprise

Behemoth wrote:

better if dinner was on the end of it. Very Happy

I agree absolutely, and BTW, well done !
mochyn

I'd love to have a go at shooting, but my shoulders are prone to aches and pains.

Should I leave it to the old chap? At least that way all the animal rights activists will be happy: he can't hit a barn door.
KILLITnGRILLIT

mochyn wrote:
I'd love to have a go at shooting, but my shoulders are prone to aches and pains.

Should I leave it to the old chap? At least that way all the animal rights activists will be happy: he can't hit a barn door.

Simple pimple, try a semi auto shotgun, they are slightly heavier but felt recoil is significantly less than any other as the exhausting gases are used to cycle the next shell into the chamber.

That way you can show him how good you are Very Happy
kevin.vinke

Have to agree great fun.
Got treated by BIL (who does the proper shooting too) to some tuition and had great fun. Not very popular here though Crying or Very sad
VSS

mochyn wrote:

Try a little .410 or 20 bore.
The female half of VSS uses a double barrelled .410 (side by side) no probs. She once bagged 17 rabbits in 27 minutes!
Marionb

I've got a .410 - its great Very Happy

I'm a bit rusty at present though since I havent done any proper shooting for years although I did bag a squirrel last year!!
vegplot

VSS wrote:
The female half of VSS

That explains a lot. I was getting confused.
vegplot

VSS wrote:
mochyn wrote:

Try a little .410 or 20 bore.
The female half of VSS uses a double barrelled .410 (side by side) no probs. She once bagged 17 rabbits in 27 minutes!

I think I'd go for a 20 bore if I took up the shotgun again.
VSS

Her .410 is chambered for magnum cartridges, so is comparable to a larger weapon for hunting. With smaller cartridges its ideal for home slaughter - I do all the pigs and sheep with it. A very versatile gun. Also folds in half which is nice.
vegplot

VSS wrote:
Her .410 is chambered for magnum cartridges, so is comparable to a larger weapon for hunting. With smaller cartridges its ideal for home slaughter - I do all the pigs and sheep with it. A very versatile gun. Also folds in half which is nice.

I didn't realise you could slaughter with a shotgun. Solid slugs?
VSS

vegplot wrote:

No, just ordinary cartridges. Shoot from about 2 - 3 inches away. The .410 just makes a small neat hole.
Shotgun is also legally ok for home slaughter.
vegplot

VSS wrote:
vegplot wrote:

No, just ordinary cartridges. Shoot from about 2 - 3 inches away. The .410 just makes a small neat hole.
Shotgun is also legally ok for home slaughter.

You learn several things every day Smile
Jonnyboy

KILLITnGRILLIT wrote:

Simple pimple, try a semi auto shotgun, they are slightly heavier but felt recoil is significantly less than any other as the exhausting gases are used to cycle the next shell into the chamber.

That way you can show him how good you are Very Happy

I use an old beretta A301 semi. The recoil is substantially reduced over an s/s or o/u, and I'd argue that the weight if any isn't noticeable. Very Happy
VSS

Don't you find the semi-auto feels rather clumsy? I've always found that they are very hard to swing through in a "natural" way. A bit out of balance somehow. Give me an English made side by side any day!
vegplot

For nostalgia I love side by side. Never did like semi-autos but they don't kick so hard.
Brownbear

VSS wrote:
Don't you find the semi-auto feels rather clumsy? I've always found that they are very hard to swing through in a "natural" way. A bit out of balance somehow. Give me an English made side by side any day!

Madame Bear, who has a bad shoulder and finds both the weight and recoil of a gun a problem, used a Benelli Montefeltro. Light as a feather, but the spring-cycling of the mechanism absorbs a lot of the felt recoil. Other people have tried it, and most loved it. Very crisp action when fired as well, none of that 'kerthump-tunk' of the gas-blowback guns.

Jonnyboy

I like my weird clanking noise, thank you very much. Twisted Evil Wink
SheepShed

I'm happy with my big, black kerthumper semi-auto as well, but for stroll round in the evening with the young cocker I love my Yildiz .410

Makes me feel like an Edwardian gentleman Very Happy
vegplot

SheepShed wrote:
I'm happy with my big, black kerthumper semi-auto as well, but for stroll round in the evening with the young cocker I love my Yildiz .410

Are the inuendo's intentional Wink
SheepShed

vegplot wrote:
SheepShed wrote:

Feel free to insert the word 'spaniel' at a suitable place in the text Laughing
vegplot

SheepShed wrote:
vegplot wrote:
SheepShed wrote:

Feel free to insert the word 'spaniel' at a suitable place in the text Laughing

I was more concerned about your "big, black kerthumper" Surprised
SheepShed

vegplot wrote:

At least it doesn't make a weird clanking noise like Jonnyboy's.

Did you use to be a script writer for the Carry On films or something ?
vegplot

SheepShed wrote:
vegplot wrote:

At least it doesn't make a weird clanking noise like Jonnyboy's.

Did you use to be a script writer for the Carry On films or something ?

Now there's a thought. Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home