Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
bagpuss

Should we have an amazon affiliate link

It has been suggested that we should have an amazon affilate link on site

The topic has been discussed here please add to the debate there or just read it an make up your mind

The current proposal would add a button to the left hand menu of the site that you could click on and it would take you to amazon and downsizer would get a small cut of any purchases you make
Silas

This needs a bump - any way of keeping it at the top of the list?
Erikht

Why isn't this in the "chat" section, were the discussion thread is. This is hiding it away in a rather uninteresting part of the forum.
Barefoot Andrew

It's in the place it needs to be.
A.
Hairyloon

I fluffed my vote. I meant to hit abstain, but the mouse voted yes when I wasn't looking. Confused
bagpuss

Hairyloon wrote:
I fluffed my vote. I meant to hit abstain, but the mouse voted yes when I wasn't looking. Confused

We will take that into account if the final numbers require it
Silas

Hairyloon wrote:

Well, thats Amazon for you - irresistable Wink
jamanda

Just keeping this up at the top.
sean

Bump.
Rob R

sean wrote:
Bump.

Oh dear, someone rush round and pick sean up, sounds like he's had a fall.
Becki

I don't really mind either way, so I guess I'll abstain Laughing
Shan

The poll is hidden rather well by putting it in this section.
jamanda

Shan wrote:
The poll is hidden rather well by putting it in this section.

How's it hidden? It shows up on latest posts the same as anything else and it's been made sticky.
Shan

I wouldn't have bothered looking in this section for it as the discussion took place in'chat'. I ended up clicking through from the original 17 page thread and only noticed it was here because of the header on the page.

I'm not the only one who thinks it is well hidden. Wink
jamanda

Well maybe the discussion could be moved into here if that would help - it really is in the right place - if we need to find it again in the future it will be much easier in here than lost in chat.
Shan

How many people honestly look in here aside from moderators? Embarassed
jamanda

Shan wrote:

Well at least 44 which is more than we usually get on a poll. I don't browse by sections at all - I just use latest posts.
Shan

I didn't vote by coming in here. I voted by clicking on the link in chat. I only noticed aftwerward how I got in here. Razz How many others voted that way?
Rob R

Jamanda wrote:
Shan wrote:

Well at least 44 which is more than we usually get on a poll. I don't browse by sections at all - I just use latest posts.

Me too, I find it too random & time consuming to do it any other way.
tahir

Rob R wrote:
I find it too random & time consuming to do it any other way.

Yup
chez

Jamanda wrote:
I don't browse by sections at all - I just use latest posts.

Yes, me too.
Shan

Hmmm, i will switch to latest post.
chez

Shan wrote:
Hmmm, i will switch to latest post.

It makes it much easier to keep up with all the flame-threads Wink
VM

Yup, latest posts is what I do, almost always.

And people seem to have been bumping it fairly successfully.

Voted ages ago, so guess I can't do it again... Smile
sean

Unless anyone has any violent objections I think that this should be allowed to run for another 48 hours then be closed.
sally_in_wales

sounds realistic to me Very Happy
Brownbear

You can vote to abstain on this poll? What about people who are abstaining for the abstention vote? Their voices are stifled, you fascists.
Jonnyboy

Brownbear wrote:
You can vote to abstain on this poll? What about people who are abstaining for the abstention vote? Their voices are stifled, you fascists.

Your name will also go on the list.
Rob R

sean wrote:
Unless anyone has any violent objections.

I have many...oh, you meant about this poll Rolling Eyes

BB: Laughing
Silas

pretty poor response though forty or so voters and 4000 members...
Jonnyboy

It's a far better response than most polls on here.
Silas

I suppose so, but just over 1%?

Must say, knowing the peverse nature of people on this site, I expected the vote to be a lot more against.
Brownbear

Silas wrote:
pretty poor response though forty or so voters and 4000 members...

The other 3950-odd are principled abstainers.
Jonnyboy

Or have a life beyond downsizer.
Silas

Jonnyboy wrote:

Are you suggesting that there is life out there....
Jonnyboy

No idea, I'm in here furiously voting.
Hairyloon

Silas wrote:
Jonnyboy wrote:

Are you suggesting that there is life out there....

Yes, but not as we know it.
Silas

Just a nudge up.

Pretty close really
Silas

Oh, and just missed a £500.00 laptop sale for my daughter.
Barefoot Andrew

Adjusting for Hairyloon on p1, it's almost neck-and-neck - 25 for, 26 against, 4 abstains.

A.
Treacodactyl

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
Adjusting for Hairyloon on p1, it's almost neck-and-neck - 25 for, 26 against, 4 abstains.

A.

You mean 24 for, 27 against, 4 abstains? Wink

Hairyloon wrote:
Barefoot Andrew

Gah. *reminds self that blokes can't reliably do multiple things simultaneously* Embarassed
A.
jema

All the same pretty close for a poll. I was a last minute convert to the "no" camp on this and it would only have taken me and one other to tip the result the other way!
Effie

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
Gah. *reminds self that blokes can't reliably do multiple things simultaneously* Embarassed
A.

*Refrains from comment Wink *
Erikht

Well, when we need money some day the idea is there, and it will be reality. Because sooner or later, everybody needs money.
jamanda

Erikht wrote:
Well, when we need money some day the idea is there, and it will be reality. Because sooner or later, everybody needs money.

This is true, and I'm glad we looked into it, because I do prefer this to some of the other options that have been talked about. Thanks for suggesting it. If nothing else maybe Sally will get a few hits on her Amazon link now.
Nick

Sorry. Just voted. Was that too late?
sean

Yes.
cab

Its interesting that the 'against' option was ahead for a long time, those who initially came to vote went slightly against. Then the two options closed slowly together, with a definite trend later on towards 'for'.

I suspect (although of course I cannot prove) that of those who followed the debate closely and voted early on as a result, there was a slight trend against. And for those who came in later and perhaps didn't follow the initial discussion, there was a slight trend 'for'. And that makes sense to me; the initial response to 'do you want a site you use to get free money to do more of what it does' is likely to be 'yes'. The response when listening to differing points of view talking about why it may not be quite that simple won't always be the same.
Silas

Pretty close, but if we take hairyloons cock-up then its a NO.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home