Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Hannah

Showing pigs

A few of us at the British Kune Kune Pig Society are showing our pigs for the first time at the Newbury Show and as we are complete novices, wondered if anyone had any tips.

In particular, how do you train your pigs to walk with the stick and board? Is there a particular knack? Mine just want to stop and eat all the time!

Any other tips re shampooing/making them look their best etc would also be helpful.

Many thanks

Hannah
sally_in_wales

when is the Newbury show this year? Havent been in about a decade! (my parents are out that way)
Bodger

I've got a smashing book here on my book shelves called 'Practical Rare Breeds' by a lady called Valerie Porter. Theres's a chapter in it on showing your pigs.
See if you can get it from your public library . If not , then get back to me.
mochyn

There's a series by Carol Harris starting in this month's Country Smallholding on just thhis subject.
Hannah

sally_in_wales wrote:
when is the Newbury show this year? Havent been in about a decade! (my parents are out that way)

Its the 16/17th September this year.
Hannah

Thanks Bodger, I'll look it out.

Mochyn, is that the one that is out now - I didn't see it in WH Smiths the other day, or is it due out soon?

Many thanks

Hannah
mochyn

I got it in the corner shop in Llanfyllin yesterday! You may be able to see it on their web site.
Hannah

Ah, yes have done .... its September's issue which means it is out now ... will try and get one at lunchtime.

Thanks Mocyhn.
mrutty

Re: Showing pigs

Hannah wrote:
Any other tips re shampooing/making them look their best etc would also be helpful.

Don't use Body Shop products as they're not tested on animals Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
tahir

Laughing
NeathChris

i am showing one of my welsh gilts tomorrow in the st mellons show. I have shown before and helped out in th royal welsh. I am no expert by any means, but if i can help in any way pm or email me.
madmonk

Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home