Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption
 


       Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
Green Rosie

Sick cat

We have just had to take our cat to the vet - severly anaemic, not eating and very lethargic. We didn't think he was going to make it. Turns out it is one of 3 things:

Haemobartonellis - a blood parasite most likely got through a tick, flea or mozzie bite

Anaemic auto-immunity - not sure how this can be got

Rat poison (unlikley as I think he would be dead by now)

In any case , he's not out of the woods yet but is making slow progress. I wanted to warn people though - please please please do keep up the flea and tick treatments especially if you are in an tick/mozzie area. We were a litte bit late in giving his treatment and this could be the outcome Crying or Very sad
sally_in_wales

hope he picks up ok
ksia

Oh, I hope he pulls through. Poor sweetie.

We've a strange situation that our UK cats had all their injections for cat flu etc (whatever they do in the UK) but our french kittens have none. The vet has never mentioned it when the kittens have been in and we kinda never asked. So this has now lead us to not having the UK cats redone this summer...I hope we'll not regret it.

Tick stuff given as the kittens manage to find hundreds of them while the (sensible) UK cats have only ever had 1 between them!
Blue Sky

Thanks for the advice. Lots of ticks and mozzies around here too. We have 'Frontlined' our three moggies recently, ours have an allergy to fleas so they get done regularly.

Hope he is ok.
Green Rosie

ksia wrote:
Oh, I hope he pulls through. Poor sweetie.

We've a strange situation that our UK cats had all their injections for cat flu etc (whatever they do in the UK) but our french kittens have none. The vet has never mentioned it when the kittens have been in and we kinda never asked. So this has now lead us to not having the UK cats redone this summer...I hope we'll not regret it.

Tick stuff given as the kittens manage to find hundreds of them while the (sensible) UK cats have only ever had 1 between them!


Never had any problems with cats not being injected but dogs is a different matter. When I lived on my parent's farm we never had our dogs injected. When I moved to Kent with my dog I never even thought about it and she contracted Parvo - she did survive (1000 vet bill later) - then, here in France we get a puppy from then local dog refuge and she had only had her first set of jabs - 4 days later she too had Parvo, probably picked up in the refuge. Luckily she too survived (only a 70 vet bill over here Very Happy ). Now with poor old cat I will be writing due dates for all injections/fronline/wormers etc on the calendar in very big letters.

Thanks for all the good wishes - Henry has eaten some breakfast and is resting in the front room.
Fee

Green Rosie wrote:
When I moved to Kent with my dog I never even thought about it and she contracted Parvo - she did survive (1000 vet bill later) - then, here in France we get a puppy from then local dog refuge and she had only had her first set of jabs - 4 days later she too had Parvo, probably picked up in the refuge.


Hope Henry's ok.

I got a puppy from a refuge for my 13th birthday, he was only 8 weeks old, and apparently vaccinated against parvo, but he died shortly after, of parvo virus Sad I was devistated. My step-dad had some stern words for the refuge!
Green Rosie

We don't think the refuge knew she had Parvo - I think in this case it was just one of those unfortunate things that she picked it up whilst in there and being only a small place, they cannot seperate the puppies from the rest of the dogs. We knew she had only had her first set of jabs but at 8 weeks your refuge must have lied to you. As far as I remember, puppies have 2 sets of jabs a month apart and at 8 weeks that is too young.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home