Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
tahir

Signal crayfish

D'you reckon it's possible to buy these anywhere? We're having a BBQ next bank holiday (about 70-80 people) and the missus likes tiger prawns but I won't buy em.

I've tried to get hold of langoustines in the past too, haven't managed it yet.
sean

Dunno anyone selling them. Can your fishmonger not get langoustines?
Jonnyboy

Sainsburys sell crayfish tails, you could try finding out where they come from, and then buy them if they check out (checkout geddit? Laughing Laughing )
tahir

sean wrote:
Dunno anyone selling them. Can your fishmonger not get langoustines?

I've asked him a couple of times, once he was even confident of getting them cos he'd seen them the previous morning, unfortunately they still had the same stock the next day so he didn't buy them. Anyway they didn't sell very well at Billingsgate so he hasn't seen tehm since.
tahir

Jonnyboy wrote:
Sainsburys sell crayfish tails

Do they? Bet they're imported.

Err, yeah, very funny JB Rolling Eyes
sean

They're from Scandinavia somewhere.
tahir

sean wrote:
They're from Scandinavia somewhere.

And our rivers are overloaded with them dodgy ones Rolling Eyes
bernie-woman

The difficulty in selling the signal crayfish is that they are classed as an alien species here and ideally need to be sold alive so there is an issue with disposing of the water that they are living in - DEFRA don't want eggs getting into anywhere they haven't got into yet Very Happy
sean

Langoustines
Frozen, but nonetheless...
sean

More langoustines
tahir

Whoa! not cheap.
bingo

you can get fresh Crayfish from the fishmonger on Muddyford Quay. Pricey will know the guy it's his neck of the woods. It's a bit out of your way Tahir. Confused
You can get frozen ones but I don't think you would be intrested, they are already cooked and frankly not very good.
Any good fishmonger should be able to get some fresh Crayfish with a bit of notice.

We used to use them when I worked in London (fresh ones).
We would put them in crates of Spinach that our kitchen porters used to pick through. They would crap themselves when they found them, thinking they were Scorpions! Laughing Shocked
Treacodactyl

How are langoustines normally caught? Don't they bottom trawl for most of them?
bingo

Treacodactyl wrote:

I think so. Sad
tahir

bingo wrote:
Any good fishmonger should be able to get some fresh Crayfish with a bit of notice.

Tony's definitely good, I'll ask him again.
tahir

bingo wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:

I think so. Sad

Ahh, I was under the impression that they were mostly creel caught
bingo

tahir wrote:
bingo wrote:

Tony's definitely good, I'll ask him again.

If not this weekend, maybe next.
tahir

The Whitby people do creel caught but they're even more dosh. Might try a few, just to keep the missus happy.
bingo

tahir wrote:
bingo wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:

I think so. Sad

Ahh, I was under the impression that they were mostly creel caught

Lango's are really expensive anyway and not very meaty. If your going down that route, you might aswell buy Lobster. Very expensive at the momment too though.

Stick with Crayfish, I know they're not meaty either but you will get a good price on them.
tahir

bingo wrote:
Stick with Crayfish, I know they're not meaty either but you will get a good price on them.

Hokey cokes, better speak to Tony
Jonnyboy

Crab or even scallops as an alternative? I take it she wants some form of sweet tasting shellfish?
tahir

She doesn't like crab, and she doesn't like the thought of anything scallopy so not an option.
bingo

I bought some lobsters today for a restaurant I'm helping out. 9.50 (1.5 lb) each. In season 7.25.

Good call Jonnyboy.
Jonnyboy

Buy some fish sticks and cut them into amusing shapes then cover with a pink sauce.
Jonnyboy

bingo wrote:
I bought some lobsters today for a restaurant I'm helping out. 9.50 (1.5 lb) each. In season 7.25.

Good call Jonnyboy.

Similar prices over here, although I've not seen them below 8.
tahir

Jonnyboy wrote:
Buy some fish sticks and cut them into amusing shapes then cover with a pink sauce.

There'll be people there that would really think that's pukka grub....
bingo

Jonnyboy wrote:
bingo wrote:

Good call Jonnyboy.

Similar prices over here, although I've not seen them below 8.

These are trade prices.

I have seen Lobsters being sold at about 4, big ones too, from a beach side fishmonger in Lulworth Cove, Dorset.
bingo

I'm spending the weekend there.
tahir

bingo wrote:

Where? Round ours? Could do with some chefly tips Laughing
bingo

tahir wrote:
bingo wrote:

Where? Round ours? Could do with some chefly tips Laughing

No, Lulworth Cove.

You can have my Chefly tips anytime you want Tahir.

tahir

bingo wrote:
You can have my Chefly tips anytime you want Tahir.

Ooherr!
dougal

If you are talking to a fishmonger, be sure to say "Freshwater Crayfish" - if you just say "Crayfish" you'll likely be sold a big sea-dwelling beastie like a lobster but without the big claws.
Lidl's have had (scandinavian, freshwater, almost certainly farmed Signal) Crayfish Tails (in brine, IIRC) pretty inexpensively - but I dunno whether or not its only a seasonal line (it was about Christmas I noticed them).
tahir

dougal wrote:
If you are talking to a fishmonger, be sure to say "Freshwater Crayfish" - if you just say "Crayfish" you'll likely be sold a big sea-dwelling beastie like a lobster but without the big claws

Thanks, what are they then (the big beasties)?
dougal

I'll find my copy of Davidson this evening sometime and let you know...
tahir

Ta
dougal

Google indicates "spiny lobster"
Quote:
The clawless spiny lobster, Panulirus argus, of more southerly waters, is a distant relation of the American lobster. "Lobster tail" comes from any of the 45 species of spiny lobsters of the Palinuridae family. Sometimes called crayfish, crawfish, rock lobster, or langouste, this lobster has a spine-studded shell and long antennae but no large front claws. Instead, the heavily-armored antennae can inflict a tearing wound when the lobster thrashes them whip-like against an opponent.

http://www.gma.org/lobsters/allaboutlobsters/species.html
tahir

Thanks Dougal
tahir

Just googled some pics, lovely looking thing.
Jonnyboy

tahir wrote:
Just googled some pics, lovely looking thing.

Shocked read that as lovely looking thong first time. Shocked
pricey

bingo wrote:
you can get fresh Crayfish from the fishmonger on Muddyford Quay. Pricey will know the guy it's his neck of the woods. It's a bit out of your way Tahir. Confused
You can get frozen ones but I don't think you would be intrested, they are already cooked and frankly not very good.

We used to use them when I worked in London (fresh ones).
We would put them in crates of Spinach that our kitchen porters used to pick through. They would crap themselves when they found them, thinking they were Scorpions! Laughing Shocked

I do It's me Dad Embarassed Embarassed
bingo

That's your Dads shop?

I used him sometimes when I worked at Westover Hall. I get my "srcaps of fish" there, when I take the kids crabbing.

It's a small world.
ronhappy

hi my name is ron i am starting a business fishing and selling crayfish in the next 2 weeks i have been at the job for the last 7 month if there is some help i can give please ask
Rob R

Yes, where do you sell them?

I saw some in the shop the other week from the Big Prawn Company & they are caught in China Surprised
Pea

We have a few here in the marina but the canal is dirty and I would like to know the bestway of keeping them alive to clean them a bit before eating. I dont want them to taste muddy.

I love lobster claws so tasty, none of them in the canal though.

Pea
dpack

live would be best Cool
im up for some
Rob R

I offer a signal crayfish cleaning service- send them to me & I'll polish them off for you, no problem Cool
ros

Pea wrote:
We have a few here in the marina but the canal is dirty and I would like to know the bestway of keeping them alive to clean them a bit before eating. I dont want them to taste muddy.

I love lobster claws so tasty, none of them in the canal though.

Pea

I'd like to know about cleaning as well. We have them in the rivers here. I've been told that we can't have a lcience for a trap because there are otters and water voles ( woo hoo Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ). But it's OK to use a crab line to catch them . - I do need to check that out first I suppose Cool
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home