Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
jema

Simple attachments

I am quite tempted to add the "myfreeforum" file attachment system to downsizer.

With this system you get a single line under the posting box saying "add file" and a popup appears that allows you to attach any file, AND more importantly has rotate/resize options in the dialog, so forum posting is easy.

The downsizer version would be for downsizer alone, e.g. it would be a copy of what is used on myfreeforum, but would have its own gallery.

I think this system is much better and could replace the existing attachments system, except for private messages, where presumably things need to be private. Though there is an argument against allowing private attachments at all.
sean

Probably a good idea, people (including me) have problems posting pictures fairly regularly. Would it work for things like word docs in publishing, or would we need to keep the current system for those?
jema

It could accept word docs, though there are no great advantages there. The issue would be I guess that publshing docs should go through private channels.
Penny Outskirts

That would be much better - I don't think people would need to be able to do it in messages, if it makes it harder to implement. You can always e-mail pictures to people if you really need to.
Bernie66

PLEASE do!!! Laughing
dougal

Umm.
This would allow any file to be posted, and hence available for public download.
However, it wouldn't guarantee that people could *view* the file - presumably only the usual jpeg, gif, etc would still be displayed in-line.

It sounds like there might be a limit of *one* attachment/picture per post, which might inconvenience some.

I'd expect that you'd expect to retain the current filesize limit.
jema

no per post limit, if you want to see the system just sign on and play on the test forum on:

http://forum.myfreeforum.org/

though remember it would be tweaked for downsizer.
jema

Ok, I will set about implementing this.

It may bring down the site for the odd 20 seconds here and there when I do.

It will in fact be not simply the file attachment that is being plonked in, but a significant enhancement to the whole forums system that I have written for the freeforums system.

The system makes it easy to add on all sorts of things to the forums display, like lists of top poster, users logged in in the last 24 hours, popular topics and other such stuff. We probably don't want much if any of those bits, but we may as well keep the code the same.
jema

Touch wood this is working with files attached visible in a new gallery at:

http://www.downsizer.net/option,com_myffgallery/Itemid,99/
Penny Outskirts

Should we perhaps have a clear link somewhere to the picture gallery ??

Just for a bit of variety Very Happy
Penny Outskirts

I quite like this - you may have noticed Very Happy
jema

The home page main menu has a gallery link.

Whether this deserves a "leaf" is I guess up to public demand.
jema

To save confusion, when not posting private messages I have removed the old attachment mechansism.
sean

Dunno about a 'leaf', but it certainly needs a control *in* the forums, which is where people will presumably use it. Could it go up with the other forum control buttons?
jema

I think it could replace Links myself, when we do actually have a decent gallery size, yes it could be a "forum button", but it does take you away from the forum, so that feels wrong to me.
pricey

Ok me not understanding this, I have pics to post on the rudest veg thing and I cant seem to do it. HEEEEEELLLLLLP! Please

Where has it all gone?
pricey

BUMP, BUMP
jema

Can you not see the new "attach file" link when you are typing in a post, it is just below where you type.
pricey

Hang on I will try thanks Embarassed

Just seen it whilst typing this Embarassed Embarassed
pricey

Very good, your not just a pretty face are you Wink , that is so much easier than faffing around with Irfanview etc..... It does it all for you, thanks.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home