Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Marionb

Single Farm Payment

Does anyone on here know anything about this?

I'm wondering if a farmer retires, and rents his land out, is he still eligible for SFP? I've had a quick look at the regs and the first one says he has to be actively engaged in agriculture (or words to that effect). Does the fact he no longer farms the land himself mean that he can no longer claim the payment?
Rob R

The SFP is being replaced next year by the Basic Payment Scheme, so at the moment under SFP the landowner can rent out land and claim the sub providing the land is being farmed. They are tightening up on this, as I understand it, in BPS, but as far as I'm aware the landlord can still do that but the land must be actively farmed by someoneth

ETA - that's for England, I can't be sure that it is being applied the same in Wales & Scotland.

And I haven't studied the new scheme in any great detail.
RichardW

If they stop the claim when rented out & the renter has to claim then the rental value will just go up to balance it.
Rob R

If they stop the claim when rented out & the renter has to claim then the rental value will just go up to balance it.

Exactly, which makes it all rather pointless.
Marionb

That's great - thanks. On a slightly different note, I have 5 sheep which up until now have been in my dads name. I now want them in my own name as I am now solely responsible for them. I have been told that I can probably have dads flock / herd number transferred to my name as he will no longer be keeping sheep and I only live a mile away. This will save him wasting the tags he has left, and save me buying new ones! How should I go about applying for this transfer, do you know?
Nick

0345 603 7777
Marionb

0345 603 7777

Nick, do you have a website address / email address?

I cant phone up as I am hearing impaired

Smile
Nick

0345 603 7777

Smile

https://www.gov.uk/sheep-and-goats-identification-registration-and-movement
Cathryn

Marion, as we understand it, from next year the claimant has to be the active farmer of that land. (I know it's kind of what you both were saying) Marionb

Marion, as we understand it, from next year the claimant has to be the active farmer of that land. (I know it's kind of what you both were saying)

I take it you mean 2015? I guess the farmer would just, as Richard says, have to put his rent up to cover it....
Treacodactyl

0345 603 7777

Smile

The RPA email address is: csc@rpa.gsi.gov.uk

From: https://www.gov.uk/register-land-on-the-rural-land-register
Marionb

0345 603 7777

Smile

The RPA email address is: csc@rpa.gsi.gov.uk

From: https://www.gov.uk/register-land-on-the-rural-land-register

Thank you - and also to Nick for his link Smile
Rob R

Re: Single Farm Payment

Does anyone on here know anything about this?

I'm wondering if a farmer retires, and rents his land out, is he still eligible for SFP? I've had a quick look at the regs and the first one says he has to be actively engaged in agriculture (or words to that effect). Does the fact he no longer farms the land himself mean that he can no longer claim the payment?

OK, I've looked it up to clarify and, as I suspected, not much has changed. If the land is let under a farm business tenancy, where the tenant has sole control over the agricultural activity on the land, the subsidy can only be claimed by the tenant. However, if the owner retains control of the agricultural activity on the land (eg, short term gazing lets or share-farming agreements that dictate what the 'tenant' may do on the land) the owner may retain the right to claim.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home