Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Cathryn

Siting bait hives

I have tried looking this up on various sites but still not quite clear about the answer.

How close or distant should they be to the other hive? Theoretically I would want to attract any swarms that come from my one and only hive when I'm not paying attention but putting one close to it doesn't make sense in my human brain. If they are swarming they are off to find other foraging areas where they wouldn't have to compete too much?

I have several potential bait hives after a small scavenging hunt. Smile I made a mini topbar, and I have two wooden crates, one rather small and one that's a toy chest type thing but looks just like a rectangular bee hive to me. I also have some of those basket type rubbish bins that will be recommissioned.

Neighbours are not a problem.
Finsky

Bait hives don't need to be 'that' far away/apart...usually they are set within apiary..few meters apart ..though if you have space you could put odd one or two slightly further. When swarms take off from hive..they don't tend to fly that far at first, particularly if there is plenty of hedgerows or trees. I usually see them settling somewhere 10-20 metres away where they are easily picked off, but where my hives are they are surrounded by hedges and fruit trees..they don't have look far for somewhere to land.
Ideally you would site bait hive bit higher up..like advertizing availability of 'full board' space.. Laughing ..
When I've done that, I've used several 'layers' of stacked bread delivery trays and the nuc that I've use as bait hive has ended up about being waist high...but if you have easy access on shed roof or similar..that would do too.
Tavascarow

I have never had a swarm occupy an empty hive on the same site.
But I have seen (U-tube) bees occupy bait hives set virtually on top of the parent hive.
According to Tom Seeley distance from parent isn't important.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home