Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Leonie

Six hens need rehoming

We need to rehome our six hens as we've had a complaint from a neighbour. Three are 2 years old and three are 1 year old, all laying well averaging 5 eggs a day between them. There are two silver dorkings (cream eggs), two barnevelders (brown eggs), one white leghorn (eggs that are white with tinge of green) and one cuckoo maran (large dark brown eggs). I'm open to offers on price but our main objective is to find them a good home. I'd be happy for someone to take all 6 but I'm also open to having them rehomed in pairs or trios. Although friendly (they'll eat a treat from your hand) they're not used to being handled. The one barnevelder hen has a limp but this is something she's had since we bought her and although she hobbles around she seems happy enough, the vet checked her over when we first got her and said there's little they can do for her and provided she's getting around okay (which she is) then they wouldn't worry about her. So, does anyone want 6 lovely hens? Here's a photo, from left to right is white leghorn, one of the barnvelders, maran, one of the silver dorkings.

pricey

Have PM'D you
saffranne

i hope they go to a good home,would have had all six off you but we are quite a distance away,we are in sheffield
good luck anyway,could you not come to some arrangement with your neighbour and keep your girls
Rob R

Sorry to hear that- a real shame (nice birds). Couldn't you get rid of the neighbours instead Wink Laughing
Treacodactyl

May we ask why the neighbours complained about them?
Cathryn

I think you should complain back - I bet that every time there is a fine day and you think of having some peaceful time in the garden - all you get is the disgusting sound of lawnmowers! (Not that i have an issue with this or anything Rolling Eyes )
Leonie

One of the hens has become a little on the noisy side over the past couple of weeks, before she lays she squawks for a while and then followed by the usual clucking. But it's not just the noise, there's the smell factor and hygiene etc. We're on clay soil and because of this it doesn't drain or dry very quickly, I've been struggling to keep their run dry and mud free, when it gets muddy it does smell a bit, I wouldn't say it's bad or even that noticeable but they're at the bottom of my garden, but they do back onto the other gardens where people are sitting enjoying the sun. We share a boundary hedgerow with a few neighbours and getting into a dispute with neighbours is not a road we want to go down. If our garden was bigger we'd probably be okay but the way our houses are situated any noise seems to echo around the buildings and makes it worse. We also live in a fairly quiet neighbourhood so although the hens aren't particularly noisy it is more noticeable because there's little other noise to drown out the sound. In all honesty I'm not suprised we've had a complaint and I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier. The joys of living in town with smallish gardens....moving is definitely on the cards now!
hils

This happened to me too Gardener. My hens were doing beautifully but people started twittering and then I was hearing the words 'bird flu' being muttered. Then its un natural to hear chickens in the city. Then its cruel etc etc. I did try to put them straight but I couldn't bear the upset for my daughter because it was her friends parents doing the moaning. It came down to living in a peaceful environment minus 2 chickens or living with the upset etc. I found a FANTASTIC home for my lovely Princess & Popcorn and I visit regularly and also get lots & lots of eggs from there too.

Chin up-sometimes its best to put your hands up and say ok!
Leonie

Thanks hils, it's nice to hear your story because a part of me thinks I should fight to keep them but I really don't enjoy confrontation and it ties my stomach in knots just thinking about it. When we move to a more rural location one day I'll get some more hens.

Just to let everyone know that we've found a home for them now, thanks pricey Very Happy
Lozzie

This whole thread is having the unfortunate effect of making me think that getting chooks might not be such a good idea for us.

Our garden is tiny, and bordered closely by three other gardens. Only one of our neighbours can be relied upon, almost certainly, NOT to complain, but the others are very much an unknown quantity. None of them appear to share any of our concerns over downsizery issues, or have much sympathy with them.

Need to have a major re-think. It would be devastating to go through the process of getting some lovely ladies, only to have to get rid of them again.

Bugger, I'm really depressed. I'm going to the allotment for a sulk.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home